“skip this one”

$45.71*
Czestochowa Black Madonna Private Tour from Krakow
$80.83*
and up
Pieskowa Skala Castle and Czestochowa including the 'Black Madonna' Day Tour...
$335.00*
Czestochowa Trip
Ranked #2 of 28 things to do in Czestochowa
Reviewed March 31, 2013

Big disappointment. Maybe not being Catholic spoiled it for me, but there was nothing terribly special about this place and it is way over-hyped. Long lines, walking in like a bunch of lemmings, walking past a gated off area behind which is the black Madonna painting, and continuing out. the event took over 2 hr for 5 min of looking. A little too touristy for my tastes.

Then, we tried to eat at a local restaurant and encountered the only Rude people in Poland.

2  Thank 2005-travel-lover

Reviewed January 8, 2013

The Black Madonna is the Virgin Mary holy icon housed at the Jasna Góra (Bright Mount) Monastery in Częstochowa, Poland. It was painted by Luke the Evangelist on a tabletop built by Jesus himself... supposedly.
Unfortunately, the original image was painted over, after being badly damaged by Hussite raiders in 1430. The icon is dressed in the special robes; the diamonds robe, the amber robe, the gold robe... The latest is made of gold, platinum, precious stones, meteorites... and a small fragment of the crashed presidential airplane is woven into a gown of Jesus.

1  Thank Mann M
Reviewed November 5, 2012

I don't feel this place. It looks for me like place to pray (I don't do it). So If you are very catholic you can come here. I don't like.

1  Thank Cogito62
Reviewed October 2, 2012

I was overwhelmed by how busy this site is and I sometimes felt like a voyeur among the devout believers. I was among a tour group that moved the the front of lines ahead of people who seemed to have been waiting for a while. We walked past people saying their confessions and were all snapping photos of the Black Madonna in the midst of the high point of mass. I'm not a Christian so I felt uncomfortable with elbowing my way among people who had a true spiritual connection to this place. Our tur guide, Brother Roman, was helpful and friendly and blessed the items that folks bought in the gift shop.

Regarding the restaurants, Mom and I stood in line for 30 minutes for a good, affordable meal but because we were a part of a tour group, that meant we had to eat very quickly.

Overall, the hoards of visitors seemed as overwhelmed as I was, pushing and shoving through the masses (no pun intended) of people. The experience for the devout would be more meaningful if gawkers like me skipped the visit and let others pray in peace.

Reviewed September 20, 2012

Our tour stopped at the Jasna Gora Monastery at Czestochowa, in Poland's Silesia, to view the Black Madonna, and this all too brief hour or so stop was one of the high points of our tour of Eastern Europe.

As we walked into the Church to view the Black Madonna, you could see the intense devotion and belief on the faces of the crowd of rapt, adoring worshipers, and could feel an almost palpable spiritual force pouring out of them.

A memorable and very impressive experience.