Open today: 10:15 AM - 4:15 PM

from $12.42
More Info
from $49.68
More Info
All reviews boat trip train ride wieliczka salt mine english tour great place long slide great adventure below ground unesco world heritage site polish guide krakow attractions meters mining corridor exposition
Selected filters
Reviewed November 12, 2013

That fact I'm writing this in November 2013 and there have been only three English language reviews this year indicates how undiscovered by the Krakow 'lot' is.

Bochnia is half way between Krakow and where my wife grew up, so was a perfect day out for us. While our tour guide didn't speak English, I had a headphone which more then adequately guided me around.

There is a fun slide partway through the tour, if you want to ride down this, you have to be wearing laced up footwear otherwise you'll have to walk down numerous steps.

I speak a bit of Polish and during a Q&A session with the guide one of the tourists (all Polish) who was clearly enjoying the tour asked why the mine wasn't doing more to market itself and push itself to the Krakow tourists.
The response from the guide (casting a careful eye in my direction) was that the mine doesn't want to be spoilt, doesn't want to become another Wieliczka - all the more reason to visit it!

If you're staying in Krakow and fancy seeing something else, something different and don't mind having your English language guide in a headphone, then give Bochnia a try. Thoroughly enjoyable and I still haven't visited Wieliczka!

*Delayed posting as I didn't realise the mine was on TripAdvisor*

Date of experience: December 2012
2  Thank ConsumerBloke
Reviewed August 6, 2013

Sincerely I was quite scared about this excursion when we visited Kracow as I don't like close environments..., but my wife insisted because the weather forecasts gave snow for a day, so "we" decided to plan this adventure out from the city, and I have to admit I hadn't any problen nor felt any disease during the time we spent "buried alive" there. It's the most ancient salt mine in Poland with maximum (visiting) depth at -350 meters, but the originary aeration system ensure a continuos air change so no stifling sensations, and paths, corridors, transiting and living ambients are almost wide enough and the down-hill develops itself smoothly along more than 4 km, even though it's not possible to visit it all (I hadn't insisted...). Guides are very nice and belong to families of local miners as the industrial actvity stopped years ago and recently the mine has been re-opened to the public for touristic purposes. There is also plenty of multimedial stuff explaining the evolution of the extracting techniques dued also to the changes in salt trade rules during centuries, very interesting. But the best is in the artisanal works made by miners, like salt sculptures, chandeliers and a delightful chapel where workers were used to pray and attend the mess. There was also a nursery for the children with playground games rigorously made always by the miners on site, and a big public resting room for those who like to spend a whole or more than one day inside it, night included. Maybe another time, the following day there was sun....

Date of experience: January 2013
2  Thank Hannukar A
Reviewed April 18, 2013

Bochnia Salt mine is well worth a visit! You can catch a small mini bus for about 5 Zloty's which is about £1 and the journey takes around 35 minuets. The salt mine is the oldest one in Poland and has some great surprises. On arrival I recommend asking for Piotr Starzyk, he is one of the tour guides and speaks good English, he rely brings the mine to life and made our visit great fun and very interesting.

Date of experience: April 2013
2  Thank Jason F
Reviewed January 9, 2013

Top salt mine in Poland is Wieliczka... Or isn't it? Salt mine in Bochnia is older then its more famous sister, and more tourist friendly, especially now - packed with all that new multimedia stuff - really impressive. Only way to see the mine is by guided tour. We visited mine at the end of December, not an usual time for tourists, so there were only three tours a day for individual tourists. They start at Campi shaft (outskirts of town centre) and finish at Sutoris shaft (just off market square), so you have to make your own way back to Campi (apart from day after Boxing Day, when only Sutoris shaft was ready for visitors). You need at least 15 people in group to go for an underground boat trip (extra charge). When you get to the lowest point (250 meters below the ground) you get some rest at the cafe or you can play all sorts of games at the level you never done before! The tour takes 2,5 h.

Date of experience: December 2012
3  Thank endrju_74
Reviewed December 27, 2012 via mobile

Salt mine was one of the nicest tourist attractions in Bochnia. It's especially interesting for those who are interested in history. Best part was the guided tour.

1  Thank Legal84