Open today: 7:30 AM - 7:00 PM

from $46.30
from $49.20
from $40.50
7,263 results
All reviews guided tour the bus auschwitz birkenau gas chamber own pace human hair concentration camp humbling experience visit this place visiting krakow salt mines i'm glad eye opening guide book first hand train tracks sheer scale
Reviewed 2 days ago

When coming to Krakow, Auschwitz has been our top list to visit. Even I have been learning about it through history lessons and documentaries, physically being there is a complete different experience. It was hard to imagine what the victims had been going through. When seeing the train track leading into the Birkenau site, I started to think "how many people actually got in and never came out". It really provokes all of us to reflect upon history.
I highly recommend going in with a tour guide AND book a tour in advanced. The guide will give you very detailed context of what had been going on in each corner of the camp. Our guide was a Polish lady. She shared her grandfather's story when he was arrested and put into the camp at the age of 15. I could see that has deeply touched her, and so do I and my friends. Also, this place is very popular. They have 2 million visitors from the beginning of 2018 to date. We underestimated the popularity of this site and almost could not book an earlier tour. Although you can go on your own by public transport, for us, who had tight schedule, decided to book a tour where they organise the transport and itinerary. It is worthwhile to visit this place.

Reviewed 2 days ago

I agree with others this is not a place for small children. I don't think until you are here that you really understand the magnitude of what happened, the shoes you see and that was just 2 days worth was really a shock and thought provoking. A very eerie and surreal experience but one as I said in my title that cannot ever be forgotten, everyone should come here at least once in their lifetime to see for themselves what these poor people went through.
Our tour guide was very good and also respected that at 11am on 11th November we wanted to pay our respects with a 2 minute silence. This was also very strange as you could hear birds singing in the trees and the sound of a train in the background. Very emotional when you cannot see any birds on the open fields. We visited both camps in the same day and had enough time then to move onto the Salt Mines which for us was the right war round to do these tours.

Reviewed 3 days ago

Visiting a death camp is a sobering experience. There needs to be time to reflect and process and sadly the number of people allowed in to Auschwitz at one time makes that very difficult. It is still very worth going, but be prepared for the potential of crushing numbers of visitors. You can very easily get a bus from the bus station in Krakow directly to the museum site. You can have a guided tour set up with the Auschwitz tour guides provided by the museum. Or you can explore on your own. I chose the guide and didn't feel it was the guide causing the rush, but the number of people. People I came on the bus with who didn't do a tour went back before me feeling they had seen everything so I really don't know. Although some sites suggest you must have a ticket ahead of time to take the bus, that is not the case. It does get very full so without a ticket you may have to wait, but if you don't want to guess your end time before you go, you can decide there.

Reviewed 3 days ago

This is perhaps not everyone's cup of tea. The experience is deep and thought provoking one but many visitors seem to go around laughing & having a great time. Personally I think this is inappropriate but each to their own. There is a lot of walking which will be too much for some and a significant amount of stairs. Still very worthwhile

Reviewed 4 days ago via mobile

Sobering visit to Auschwitz-Birkenau. A must do tour.
Unfortunately our guide (Martin) rushed the visit around Birkenau. Would have like to have 5 minutes to reflect at the Jewish memorial, but not even given the chance to go to the area.
Having said that it was such a worthwhile visit.
Read the book The Tattooists before visiting and then re -watched Schindler’s list on return home

Reviewed 4 days ago

We spent nearly 8 hours walking round both sites and would recommend not getting a tour as they do miss out a large amount of exhibits but instead purchase a guide book from the shop just inside the entrance this was extremely informative as well as the information in each exhibit which to take in fully I would recommend a good 5-6 hours at the first site and atleast a couple at the 2nd. Its still hard to fathom how this happened and some of the exhibits are truly hard to see and read. I wouldn't take younger children as some areas are particularly graphic and they might not deal with but feel this should be mandatory for everyone to visit atleast once to ensure atrocities of this kind never happen again. A truly sombre and moving experience.

Reviewed 4 days ago via mobile

Nearly everyone knows of the existence of this place and it’s history but it is still shocking and emotional. I agree with another reviewer that this is not a place for children. Went to Auschwitz first and then on to Birkenau which is a few minutes drive away. Excellent guide despite his English not being perfect. You are given headsets to listen to the very informative commentary.

Things to be aware of; there was very little time when you get there to use the loo, you have to queue and you have to pay 2 zloty to use it at both locations. There’s takeaway snacks and drinks available to buy but you only get 15 minutes to queue up and eat. In fairness that’s not what you are there for so grabbing a quick snack wasn’t that much of a deal. Coming to the loos at the car/coach park in Birkenau.... the toilets are only accessible via a turnstile for which you need small coin denominations, having only arrived in Poland the previous evening we had no chance to get change so we’re forced to go into the restaurant and buy a small item. I bought a chocolate bar for 6 zloty about £1.20 and handed over a 50 zloty note. On checking my change when leaving I realised I had been short changed by 20 zloty. I challenged the girl who served me who initially gave me an additional 10 z change, so I said that’s still not enough! She then said I had given her 40 z !!until I said there was no such thing as a 40 z note and she finally handed over the right money!! Beware and if possible go with plenty of small coinage.

Reviewed 4 days ago

Its hard to describe how I felt after spending an hour or so in Birkenau... A very informative exhibit and a must see whilst visiting Poland. Unfortunately I did not get to see the museum exhibits as it closes at 3pm in November. So if visiting, ensure to attend the Auschwitz museum first and then go to Birkenau as this is open until a later time.

Reviewed 6 days ago via mobile

We visited on a cold, windy and wet autumnal day when the temperature was about 5 degrees and windchill lower which helped in one small way to put into context how horrendous this place must have been. The numbers of people touring round is enormous and they do a good job of moving the people/tours around so you just about get time to see and absorb the place. Our guide was very good, she conveyed a huge amount of information and did so in a very sombre and respectful way emphasising the gravity of it all. We had prebooked a tour with transport so didn’t have to worry about finding tickets etc which given the number of people visiting made it easier. Our teenage kids really engaged with the place and events having studied it all school. Clearly a place to be visited once in a lifetime for so many reasons.

Reviewed 1 week ago

This place is where Mans ability to kills is paramount . 1,300,000 million people where killed here . The museum is dated yet shows the kind of inhumanity the made this happen . The gas chambers , the ovens for burning the flesh and bones the barracks where people were kept . The scale of it , its all there and yet as that generation of survivors die off the need to preserve this jkind of memorial place increases as those that Deny it ever happened increases .