“Worth a visit”

Ranked #1 of 20 things to do in Oswiecim
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Established by the Nazis in 1940, Auschwitz-Birkenau has become a symbol of terror, genocide and the Holocaust. Although the exact number of victims is unknown, many Jews, Poles and gypsies died here. The museum consists of two parts: Auschwitz I, the first and oldest camp (the number of prisoners fluctuated around 15,000, sometimes rising above 20,000) and Auschwitz II, Birkenau (which held more than 90,000 prisoners in 1944). The greater part of the apparatus of mass extermination was built in Birkenau and the majority of the victims were murdered there.
York, United Kingdom
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“Worth a visit”
Reviewed January 30, 2014

We travelled to Auschwitz by bus from Krakow. The cost was around 50 Zloty for 2 people return.
Worth noting is the fact that the buses get very busy. It was a tight squeeze on the way back at 4.20pm.
We paid for a guide whilst there, which cost us 40 Zloty each. Well worth it I thought. You get a pair of headphones and a transmitter that picks up the guides voice so you can hear her clearly without any of the other guides voices disturbing. First is Auschwitz 1 and a tour around some of the buildings containing remnants from the holocaust. Then onto the Gas Chambers and Crematoria before a short break (if you want lunch it would be best to take a sandwich with you as there is little on offer, crisps, chocolate and sweets being about the only wares). A free shuttle bus is put on the transport to Birkenau(about a 5min journey). I found this the most daunting experience with the rail tracks and a solitary cattle truck.
Some reviewers have mentioned that they felt rushed by the guides. I didn't feel that that was the case and needed that guidance to get around the site. Perhaps if I went back I would feel more inclined to peruse at my own pace.
I thoroughly recommend this as a must see site. I will never forget it.

5 Thank Simon H

141 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 121 helpful votes
“A must visit”
Reviewed January 28, 2014

A visit to Auschwitz-Birkenau is a must-do for everyone in my opinion. It gives an impression of the atrocities that took place here. Although one never will be able to really understand.

3 Thank amsterdam05
Suffolk
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Unforgettable - a must visit place for anyone visiting Poland”
Reviewed January 28, 2014

Visited on 17th January during a 3 day visit to Krakow - words can't really describe the sadness and sorrow that I felt when I visited the Auschwitz camps. The atmosphere within the camps is both somber and sobering and it is definitely a feeling that will stay with me for a very long time.
The tour guide we had was extremely knowledgeable and was able to talk in depth about the atrocities that took place within the camps - my only small issue was that I would have liked a bit longer to walk around the camps on my own, particularly Birkenau as there were some areas that I would like to have looked around but weren't covered on the tour.
That said I would still recommend as a must visit place for anyone visiting Poland.

2 Thank rackadoo
London, England, United Kingdom
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“A must”
Reviewed January 28, 2014

You must visit this place if you come to Krakow. While the feel of the place is deeply tragic, the way the guides present the history is excellent.

One thing I could not understand, though, was why some tourists were taking photos in from of the main gate - as if it were just like any other tourist destination.

Visited February 2013
1 Thank MarkPrince
Surrey
38 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 159 helpful votes
“Auschwitz -mixed feelings Birkenau -humbling”
Reviewed January 27, 2014

I have very mixed feelings about Auschwitz. It has been rebuilt so it looks like any army barracks. We went as independent visitors and frankly the guides are rude, they just push you out of the way to let their speed walking party through. Many of the barrack blocks are sponsored by various nations and much of the information was contradictory and confusing.
Birkenau for me was so different. The camp was burnt by the Nazis and the liberating Russians. Some of the barrack blocks have been restored and the conditions are truly awful, the rest have been left so as far as the eye can see there are tjust he brick outlines and fireplace stacks of so many barracks where human beings were expected to survive in nothing more than striped PJs and on 200 calories a day - truly humbling. Go and see for yourself. If you need mobility access this may be a challenge.

1 Thank SPW21