“A place that should be experienced by everybody.” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 20 things to do in Oswiecim
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Established by the Nazis in 1940, Auschwitz-Birkenau has become a symbol of terror, genocide and the Holocaust. Although the exact number of victims is unknown, many Jews, Poles and gypsies died here. The museum consists of two parts: Auschwitz I, the first and oldest camp (the number of prisoners fluctuated around 15,000, sometimes rising above 20,000) and Auschwitz II, Birkenau (which held more than 90,000 prisoners in 1944). The greater part of the apparatus of mass extermination was built in Birkenau and the majority of the victims were murdered there.
Southend-on-Sea, United Kingdom
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“A place that should be experienced by everybody.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2014 via mobile

A very cold day I start off with, but turned out to be the most historical, overwhelming, heart wrenching, day of my life to date.
There are very few words that describe Aushwitz, but although the experience cannot be classed as 'enjoyable' -it most certainly can be labeled as an honour to have visited. A place to respect and honour those who became victims during this terrible time. Having the ability to take time and to respect the place of which unthinkable events happened, was extremely overwhelming, yet satisfying.
My heart and blessings go to every person touched by the events which occurred at this Aushwitz.
A place which our children, the children of our children and so on should visit.
We shall not forget them x

Visited April 2013

24 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“Sad place”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2014

I lived 45 minutes from here. My dad lost his sister there. Very sad place to visit, but nice to know what happened to Polish people. And yes, a lot of Polish people died here. Everybody makes it seem like on Jewish people did, when in fact so many Polish people did and that fact its being forgotten.

Visited February 2013
1 Thank Basia1127
Atlanta Georgia
82 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 612 helpful votes
“Less moving than I expected”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 19, 2014

I think the reason I found it less moving than I expected, is that at my age, one has seen countless holocaust documentaries, starting in grammar school. After so much graphic exposure, I believe that we become somewhat numbed. This is nonetheless a must see Museum.

To get here from Krakow, you must ride the main commuter train. It is very crowded. After exiting the train, there is not much signage, so follow the crowd.

Visited August 2013
haslingden
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“The saddest place on earth but also the most important to visit.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 19, 2014

This was my 3rd visit to Auschwitz I & II and yet again I was moved beyond belief. The sheer size of the camps (especially Auschwitz II - Birkenau) means you need to visit more than once. Both camps are completely free to enter so visits can be done on tiny budgets but for new visitors I recommend the many guided tours available (£40-50 per person) but that includes return transport from your hotel plus a English speaking guide for both camps. The only down side to a guided tour is that time is restricted. No words can describe how these horrific places make you feel but for me its just as positive as it is emotional. Experiencing Auschwitz I & II only makes you a better human being - its vital we never allow anything like this to happen again - ever.

Visited January 2014
1 Thank hassyman1
Stockholm, Sweden
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 28 helpful votes
“No need for a tour to get there”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 19, 2014

Everything about this site has seemingly already been described. If your in Krakow you have to visit this site which will continue to have an ever lasting place in history. A truly horrifying time in history, which no one should wish for again.

Save yourself the money and make your own way there. We took a coach from the main coach station in Krakow, 27 Zloty for a return, on a weekday with the bus leaving at 8:25 and arriving just before 10:00. When you depart the bus, there is a yellow timetable stating the times for the journey back to Krakow. We didn't have a guide whilst there and managed to get around easily as signs are well placed. Very informative inside the buildings. There is a free shuttle bus running to Birkenau of which we took at 12:30 and travelled back at 14:00. That was enough time to catch the bus back to Krakow departing at 14:10. The shuttle bus only takes 5 minutes. I presume they time it and the driver waits for that particular shuttle bus arriving back to Auschwitz.

An eerie place but people did to know about it.

Visited January 2014