“Fabulous, a unique place in an amazing part of the world”

and 1 more site!
Apartamenty Carskie
Ranked #1 of 13 Bialowieza B&B and Inns
Chorley, Lancashire
“Fabulous, a unique place in an amazing part of the world”
Reviewed August 26, 2013

It pains me to give this place 4 and not 5 as it was amazing and I would really recommend it as a place to stay. We stayed in a train carriage which was brilliant, full of character, beautifully appointed and in the most stunning of locations, a stone's throw from the Bialowieza forest.
I feel that as amazing as it was there were a few things that could have been improved, tiny things which should be easily rectified by the management.

Good things - The bed was really comfy, the sheets were gorgeous and I slept really well. The bathroom was beautiful with lovely toiletries and the train carriage felt really luxurious but homely. The staff in the restaurant were wonderful, their English was excellent and the breakfast was amazing, huge choice and really good food and tea. They also did us a huge packed breakfast for our last day when we had to leave early.
Things I would change - There was no reception area, staff or desk you had to go into the restaurant, when we checked in I had to 'hang around' until someone was free, loitering next to people having dinner. We arrived at peak dinner time and the girl gave me the key and that was it, no information about breakfast etc, obviously if you needed to speak to someone at any time you had to do thins every time. There were only 3 coat hangers (2 people, 4 nights) which wasn't enough and the mini bar had bottletop drinks but no opener. There was no information book/folder in the room with things like breakfast times, local places of interest etc, it would have been good. I would have also liked a kettle as you could only get hot drinks if the restaurant was open, we went out at 4am for dawn walks in the forest and it would have been good to have a drink before.

All of these things are pretty minor and didn't spoil our stay but just little tweaks would make this place just perfect.

My tip if you stay in a train is to keep your door locked, they seem to be a bit of a tourist attraction and although there is a sign saying 'guests only' people come wandering down and looking, they can't see in at the train os too high but a few did try our door when I was trying to have an afternoon nap after our early start.

It was an amazing place, we had wonderful walks and wildlife watching, fabulous food and it was impossible not to relax, we'll be back in spring when the birds are around.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Robyn W

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
  • Polish first
Leeds
Reviewed August 4, 2013

I really do not enjoy long journeys, and it was a very long one from Leeds to Krakow to Warsaw to Bialowieza. Not many places would be worth such a long journey, but this is TOTALLY worth it, even for me who hates long journeys. We had such an incredible time here, the staff were so polite, helpful and hospitable, the food was incredible, the accommodation fantastic. I could not rate it highly enough. I would highly recommend it to absolutely everyone.

Room Tip: Train carriage number 4 was wonderfully decorated, beautiful and comfortable. It even had air condit...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Poland
Reviewed February 9, 2013

We stayed at the most unique place to stay in....a saloon railway carriage.
These carriages (4 altogether) were once used as a legend says by Russian Tsars when they visited Bialowieza forest.
Now refurbished, the carriages offer excellent nostalgia lodging.
The interior of the carriage is nicely old stylish and sophisticated with LED TV and old-fashioned radio sets. However there's no telephone so when you wish to order anything from the restaurant you need to use your mobile.

The waiter service is prompt and attentive and the restaurant serves marvellous cuisine (although a bit pricey).
The only negative note was a room maintenance service. The room was perfectly clean but the maid was negligent at small things. She scattered our pyjamas over our bed. The hotel provides a nicely wrapped set of fresh towels everyday but, again, she chose to throw them randomly here and there.

These however were very minor drawbacks of an overall fantastic stay at the place.
The carriages give you an outstanding amount of comfort , pricacy and a feeling of a nostalgic travel in time :-).
A unique experience worth returning to taste it again.

Room Tip: Apart from 4 carriages, the hotel offers 2 apartments in a former, I believe, water tower for guest...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
9 Thank jaybee4133
Williamsburg, Ohio
Reviewed November 7, 2012

What a totally wonderful place! Train cars as bedrooms, as well as quarters in a renovated water tower! The restaurant was 5 star, with an assortment of unique and appetizing dishes. The staff bent over backwards to be helpful and accomodating. And the prices? Extremely reasonable. All tucked away in the Bialowieza Forest. I want to go back!

Room Tip: All rooms are unique and fun!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank SS3070
Eindhoven, The Netherlands
Reviewed August 10, 2012

Absolutely unique place!
Location (nature) and climate makes this place unforgettable.
There are only a few rooms available, so dont expect disturbing crowds around! Only exception are people who want to sightsee the beautifully renovated old train station and the train.
Rooms are clean comfortable and nicely furnished.
Just by staying in this place, by eating in the hotel restaurant you experience a kind of travel in time...
In price is included delicious breakfast in the restaurant.
Great service - both in the restaurant as in the hotel- when you are eating, room service cleans your room.
And everywhere around are great forests - you have never seen soo many kinds of green!:)

I highly recommend! one of the most memorable hotels that I have ever stayed

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank bebrz0s
Poland
Reviewed July 12, 2011

It is almost impossible for me to understand how these pages are not full of rave reviews about this place. It was one of the most memorable places I've stayed anywhere in the world - and here it is, in the middle of a random forest by the Belorussian border in Poland! Well, I'm glad to be first.
The hotel and restaurant (also Carska) together have been fashioned from the bones of a disused train station. I know this because, when we showed a flicker of interest, our waiter brought out photos of how it looked before (from the 18th c. onwards) and some of the renovation process. This alone would make it rather unique and memorable. But that is about the restaurant, I'm getting ahead of myself here.
As for the accommodation, the way it is done is really unlike anything I've seen anywhere. OK, I can only speak about the 'best' 'room' in the house, which was the only one available (they only have a few). But is there anywhere else you could stay in a 2-story apartment located in an old water tower?? The top floor was the bedroom, complete with maroon wallpaper and curtains and portraits of the czar who used to like to hunt in the area (from where they get the name, 'carska'). The lower floor was entirely devoted to a bathroom - a design marvel. I could have spent the weekend in that bath!
All located in a gorgeous green forest which is really the only reason anyone turns up in this random part of the world, which meant we could go to sleep with out windows open, relishing the smell and sound of the rain outside. But even if there was nothing else here, I would recommend the 4 hours drive from Warsaw just to stay here. Together with the restaurant, it really is a unique experience.
I wonder if part of the reason it seems so little known is that it seems so hard to get information about it. I tried typing, 'train station hotel Bialowieza' into google and got nothing, and it's not in one of the main travel guidebooks. I heard about it from someone else. I hope the owners pick up the marketing - mainly because I love Poland and it's these kinds of hidden gems that showcase the best of the country and that the rest of the world should get the chance to experience.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends