“Huge castle in brick not far from Gdansk”

Malbork Castle Museum
Book In Advance
More Info
$92.93*
and up
Malbork Castle with BBQ in Hel
Ranked #1 of 20 things to do in Malbork
Reviewed July 23, 2013

Really worthwhile and spectacular.
If you like castles this is a must see.
It is in brick, and some parts have been restored.
It is well feasible when you are in Gdansk, to get to.

The castle is very big, really.
The ideal visit for families with children, who will be fascinated.
Lots of tourists, a cue to get tickets.
We were here on a Tuesday, but I suspect it can get very busy on other days.

Food available outside the castle as well as the usual tourist shops, where you can buy reproduction swords and medieval style clothing.

The castle is one of the most impressive I have ever seen, and i have seen a few.

4  Thank marnixgroet
Write a ReviewReviews (2,013)
All reviews
in 9 reviews
"middle ages"
in 9 reviews

Reviewed July 23, 2013 via mobile

Went on Saturday 20th when there was a medieval 3 day event on so lots of folk dressed as knights or maidens and different events on like archery, jousting and battle re-enactments - quite impressive plus lots of families there and all kids seemed like they were having a ball.
Just explored castle - didn't use audio guide but that was our choice. Happy just to wander about and take in sights and they were quite some sights. Castle is XL large and then some. Yes it's been reconstructed several times but it is still impressive. Plus, interesting sculptures in grounds.The fact we went when place was mobbed, tours everywhere and sometimes getting in road AND still really enjoyed it says a lot
I think if I had went as a kid I may have exploded

1  Thank michael_paley
Reviewed July 22, 2013

This is one of my favourite castles. On my second visit I could visit it more thoroughly and spent two hours walking around with an audio guide. It's the world's biggest castle when it comes to area and the number of bricks used is staggering. It is also very beautiful with lovely vaulted halls, towers, stairways and all sorts of embellishments. The castle was built by the Teutonic knights in the 13th century but was left in ruins after WWII. The work done on restoration is quite fantastic.
There are restaurants on the premises but they might (as in our case) be booked by tour groups in which case I would move on.

Reviewed July 16, 2013

The castle is so impressive! If you are around (like in Gdansk) you definitely have to visit. It is huge and my 5 year old boy loved it too, especially the weapons/harness room - I liked it a lot too. We also sat a while outside just enjoying a nice sunny day, what a perfect place for it. Adult ticket was 39,50 zl and I did not take audio tour since I had to watch for my lively 5 year old. But it was still enjoyable visit although I must have missed zillions of info.

It is very easy to take a train from Gdansk, this time it left from platform 2 (don't worry it is very clearly shown at the station - it said "Elblag via Malbork" on the board). Trains to Malbork went one every hour, we went 9.04 train in the morning and next one was around 10 sharp and so on. We went out on Malbork station but I think Malbork Kaldowo might be a bit closer? Malbork station is NOT far, you can walk it if not very small children with you. When you are coming back from Malbork to Gdansk be prepared you can't sit in the train, I have had many people tell this and we experienced it also. Sunday morning to Malbork- not many people in the train.

(Gothic restaurant for lunch/dinner inside the castle is great!)

1  Thank daniellax