“Central Location, Opulent rooms, Good Food, Good value for 5*”

Radisson Blu Hotel Gdansk
Ranked #3 of 84 Hotels in Gdansk
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Central Location, Opulent rooms, Good Food, Good value for 5*”
Reviewed March 2, 2013

Stayed at the hotel for 2 nights on a business conference. I echo many of the positive reviews for the hotel, the central location (try the restaurant opposite on the river side with its nautical theme and wide menu), the high standard of rooms, and the excellent breakfast. Also the price is reasonable given the location, and facilities.
Two slight downsides
- lunch time restaurant service is poor (perhaps if you are only in a small party and another conference is taking place you lose out?)
- Gym is small - adequate for 2-3 people but that would be really pushing it - against this generous opening hours of 6am-11pm mean you should be able to find a slot when things are not too busy

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
maciekmiazek, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel Gdansk, responded to this review, March 4, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to post your opinion on Tripadvisor.

I appreciate your comments so we can act accordingly.
As you have mentioned the gym, it would be a bit difficult to enhance its size but we definately will address the service issues in the restaurant.

Thank you for staying with us and look forward to see you again in Gdansk.

Yours sincerely ,

Maciej Miazek

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Ochota, Warszawa, Poland
Reviewed February 24, 2013

Wow, I have never expected something like this from a Radisson. I am a member of Carlson club and I very often visit hotels of this brand - I am usually satisfied (as you can see in my other reviews). After this stay however I shall reconsider if I ever want to stay at a Radisson.

First of all, the hotel is indeed located at a very center of Gdansk. Most of the rooms however do not have a nice view from the window (to a back street or an average courtyard).
During check-in I wasn't at all recognized as a Carlson club member, I felt even sorry that I made the receptionist to input my card number to her PC to get my points!

I got a twin room, even though I asked for a double - it was almost like a double bed, yet it consisted of two beds moved close together. Apart from that, I felt a rotten egg smell in the toilet immediately as I entered my room. I simply called the ONE TOUCH SERVICE and after 5 minutes somebody came to check the smell in my toilet and, having confirmed that, offered me another room next door. No sorry, no 'free drink' no... nothing!
The new room (also a twin!) had a different problem, the air conditioning was working poor, independent of my setting it was cold. The floor heating in the bathroom did not work. As I called the helpline again, I only heard that I must put my card into the card hold to enable the system and wait some time! Well until my check-out it did not start to work!

Now, I do not mean that a technical failure must not occur in a hotel, bu the service should be much better, somebody should come, check, propose something. The hotel has many ways of saying "I am sorry": a room upgrade, free drink, free minibar... whatever!

It also needs to be mentioned that there were no bathroom sleepers, and I had to call for it... That is already 4 problems in one night!

In this hotel I also found something that should never happen, even in a 2star hotel! The towels were torn and had strange holes in them... I was so shocked when I noticed it, that I only could
laugh (thank you, Radisson, for making me laugh).

There is a gym in the hotel, but only with cardio devices. It is small and not very comfortable.

So I woke up in the morning with cold (the air conditioning was still governing the air temperature below my comfort levels) and went to eat the breakfast.

I can not complain about the breakfast, except the breakfast staff - totally unprofessional. I was simply approached to many times when I was eating and asked if I wanted something or if my breakfast was good. This was overwhelming. I couldn't focus on eating. The waiter should be trained better, more subtle, especially if he/she works in a 5 star hotel.
There is a nice variety of food, good quality, really tasty. Nevertheless, the hot dishes are placed in small containers and putting the food on a plate requires much focus and dexterity. This may take so long, that the other people are waiting until you finish (only one person at a time is able to help them self). I really enjoyed my cappuccino (one of the best served ever)!

I also asked for a late check-out. This was not a problem at least, I extended the validity of my key card and could use my room until 1pm. Unfortunately, about 12 my room door opened and I saw a housekeeper... hopefully I was not naked, but there was even no knocking! How is it possible in a 5 star hotel?

As far as the "no-floor-heated" bathroom is concerned, the showerhead holder was broken and it was pivoting around the rod as water was flowing. I could not make the water flow directly on me, without holding the device. This was a true nail in the coffin.

To compare with Gdansk Hilton, that I also often visit, I found the Radisson very poor. Maybe it was just bad luck, but in my opinion the staff needs a lot of training in guest care. The bathrooms should be often checked (for the bad smell and for the technical problems). The airconditioning should give the guest a chance to adjust the temperature.

You may say, that these are only details, that I should insist on the staff to do something. Yes, these are the small things that make the difference!
If this was a 3 star hotel for 30 euros I would be more than happy, but not in a hotel of this class, especially if there are other, better choices in Gdansk.

Room Tip: Check the toilet if it does not smell. Ask for and demand a true double room.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
4 Thank Igor S
maciekmiazek, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel Gdansk, responded to this review, February 25, 2013
Dear Guest

First of all thank you for posting your review.

I see from your comments that you were totally not satisfied with your stay, where looking at the described circumstances I must say I totally agree with your dissapointment.

I would like to apologize for all the inconveniences and the service defficiencies.

Because what you have described it is not a normal service level in our hotel, I thank you for your comments which will help us improve the operations.

I would like you, if possible, to contact me directly under maciek.miazek@radissonblu.com so I can take further steps in regards to your stay.

Again I apologize and appreciate your comments and look forward to hear from you.

Yours sincerely
Maciej Miazek
Reviewed February 12, 2013 via mobile

Stayed for two nights on a business trip. As always, Radisson delivers. Very good rooms, I got a large, modern room with wifi and comfy bed. Situated in the heart of the old town. The restaurant and breakfast were impeccable!

• Stayed February 2013
marcin_panek, Public Relations Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel Gdansk, responded to this review, February 13, 2013
Dear Guest,

We appreciate you have stayed with us again and on top of that that you have taken the time to complete a survey.

Thank you for recognizing the value of breakfast as we put all our strengths and efforts to make it tasty and pleasurable as the best start of the day.

Warsaw, Poland
Reviewed January 30, 2013

Great location; not so expensive; big, clean and beautiful rooms; good food; perfect service - that's how I can describe the hotel, I can really recommend it for everyone who like convinience and good quality.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank 14wf
marcin_panek, Public Relations Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel Gdansk, responded to this review, February 7, 2013
Dear Guest,

On behalf of our entire staff I would like to kindly thank you for expressing your personal feelings towards our property. Thank you for mentioning the room size which is one of our adavtage however not the only one.

dunfermline
Reviewed January 11, 2013

From the moment you step in the front door you know it's going to be a good....

We stayed over new year and only paid £70 per night for our room which I thought was a very good price for a 5 Star hotel. On arrival we got upgraded to a business class room for free, this turned out to be one of the best hotel rooms I have ever stayed in. Huge and beautifully furnished, very comfy super king size bed, 32 inch tv, heated floors in the toilet and a big safe. Can't ask for much more than that.

Hotel Location = Bang in the middle of the old town square.
Breakfast = Great! everything you could possibly want for your breakfast
Hotel Staff = Excellent, always happy to help you out.
Hotel Spa = Didn't use it but it looked nice.
Wi-Fi = Better in the main lobby than in the rooms.

Gdansk is a great little city and when I go back I will definitely be staying at the Radisson Blu.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank ragingbeast14
marcin_panek, Public Relations Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel Gdansk, responded to this review, January 14, 2013
Dear Guest,

We appreciate you taking the time to complete a survey regarding your recent stay with us. I would like to thank you on behalf of our entire staff for your kind words and your personal comments on the quality of the room and hotel interiors. I am glad to hear the breakfast fulfilled your desire in so many ways.
Thank you for mentioning the use of WiFi which is free of charge in every part of the hotel.

New York
Reviewed January 3, 2013 via mobile

I stayed at the Radisson Blu in Gdansk two weeks ago for a few days while vacationing around Poland. The staff were cheerful and helpful throughout. The room was beautiful and the bedding was the highest quality. The location on the Long Market Square was perfect and other attractions were within walking distance.

I would recommend this hotel. It was comfortable and fun

• Stayed December 2012
marcin_panek, Public Relations Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel Gdansk, responded to this review, January 7, 2013
Dear Guest,

We appreciate you taking the time to complete a survey regarding your recent stay with us. On behalf of our entire staff here at the Radisson Blu we would like to thank you for your comments and we hope to see you again when your travels bring you back to the area!

Norway
Reviewed December 31, 2012

When staying at a Radisson Blu hotel you pretty much know what you get: A modern, efficient hotel of good standards with a service minded staff and spacious rooms with everything you need in them. The Radisson Blu in Gdansk is no exception. What makes this hotel stand out in Gdansk, is the location. When leaving the hotel, you are ten steps away from the "Long Street", which is probably where you want to be as a tourist in Gdansk. Unless you are looking for a small boutique style hotel you can't be wrong staying here!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple