“OK for a one night stay”
Review of Baltic Hostel

Baltic Hostel
Ranked #134 of 204 Specialty Lodging in Gdansk
Manchester, United Kingdom
“OK for a one night stay”
Reviewed February 23, 2010

rooms were OK, no bunk beds and beds comfortable, breakfast included, bit difficult to find

• Stayed May 2008, traveled solo

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Kraków
Reviewed March 25, 2008

The Hostel is close to the railway station, but a little difficult to find.
The rooms, or better: our room was ok. though quite small. If it had been fully occupied (6 beds) it would have been quite crowded in there, but as we were only 3 persons, it was ok. The hostel offers linen and towels.
There was a possibility to lock the room, but I have met other travellers at the hostel whose room was a passing room/connecting room (Durchgangszimmer), the staff (and apparently not only the staff ) lived in the room behind, there was no possibility to lock it.

The hostel offers moderate breakfast (white bread, eggs, cheese, honey, tea coffee), and there was even a simple dinner offered every night (e.g. soup, bigos, pierogi).

The common room was nice, there is one computer with free internet access, a tv, a radio.

There are two small toilets, they should have been cleaned more often. Two unisex showers.

There are no lockers, either lock your valuables in your room or carry them with you.
As I have mentioned, we had the possibility to lock our room, but one of those other guys in the connecting room was robbed, since then all of them carried their valuable belongings with them everytime they left the room.

All in all the hostel was ok, but the STAFF was somewhat strange!
I don't know exactly how many people work there as there were always some people around that weren't guest but did not belong to the staff either.
One of the girls working there was really not friendly, if you asked her something she would treat you as if you were disturbing her, kind of as if she was wondering, why you were actually there.
It seems that the staff often has some friends around, in fact these friends apparently live at the hostel too. Maybe some jobless people who can live there for free and have their meals there. Some really strange guys.
They would all sit together everyday and start drinking in late afternoon/early evening and drink all night long (maybe this was because it was Easter, but still, this is not, what you expect in a hostel, is it?). The unfriendly girl was also very loud, shouting through the hostel in the early morning, all of them always talking really loudly while sitting together at night. Not easy to sleep with this noise, esp. when you went out one night and came back late and then were woken up at half past 7 in the morning by staff conducting their conversation by shouting through the hostel!

• Disliked — Staff/Personal
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with friends
1 Thank Keks_8

Travelers are raving about these Gdansk hotels

Gloucester, England
Reviewed December 16, 2007

I would rather stay in 'The Hostel' directed by Eli Roth than in the Baltic Hostel!

Although being in a fairly good location this is the worst place I have ever stayed in. The directions given were quite inaccurate, we had to be taken there by a stranger. The room was like a prison cell - bars on the windows, no pictures on the walls, no mirror and only 1 socket hanging out of the wall which did not work. The two toilets were tiny, one had smashed glass held together with masking tape!! There are only two small showers for the entire hostel.

Whilst I was in the shower on the first morning, my friend went to the toilet. During this couple of minutes someone entered our room and stole money from both of our wallets, both stiirling and zloty. The staff were very unhelpful, did not seem interested, did not call the manager or show any consideration. After this we did not leave the room unlocked for a single second without anyone inside - however a SLR digital camera was stolen from my bag while we were out and the door locked. When I informed the manager the otally ignored me and the night security man laughed at us. To be robbed twice in three days was very upsetting especially when the hostel staff couldn't give a damn and you KNOW the room was locked.

At night. the staff held private party's with their friends, drinking from cans, making a terrible noise on the bare wooden, floorboards, and shouting. The noise was repeated early in the mornings. Sleep was near impossible. The best part about staying at the Baltic was leaving it.

• Stayed December 2007, traveled with friends
4 Thank sallyannethomas
Finland
Reviewed July 11, 2007

I booked a room from Baltic Hostel via Hostelword.com about a month before the trip. I also payed the 10% deposit beforehand. The booking system showed that on arrival I should pay the amount of 180pln (2 nights, 2 persons).

I printed this as I prosumed that it was concidered as a contract between me and the booking system/hostel.

But when we arrived to the hostel they said that the prices were raised 50% about a week ago! We hadn't been informed about this but even though we had been avare of this, I had payed the deposit before and should get the room for the price as agreed on that moment.

The hostel dind't agree and asked for the new price which was 50% more than originally. We didn't care to argue much or find another hostel because we had 7 hours of nigthtrain begind us and were tired. Finally the hostel reduced the total price a bit and we paied 30pln more than was agreed.

I prosume that this kind of action from the hostel is illegal. Or if it isn't, it's at least against good business manners and gamerules.

So I suggest all of you to avoid this hostel.

And by the way, with the new prices, the hostel isn't worth it at all. Room was clean and ok. Breakfast modest (bread, jam, eggs, tea). Location: a bit far from the center, just next to railway station though so can't complain if you are arriving/leaving by train. Stairway/common facilities: smelled heavily like mould, shabby, unisex showers/toilets. All in all, you can find much better with that money (especially hostels that play it fair).

• Liked — Room was clean and hostel was just next to railway station.
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
3 Thank VMO
Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed September 13, 2005

Found on hostelworld - not too many budget options in Gdansk by the looks of things.

Firstly, near impossible to find. The whole city is full off "Big red brick buildings", and the big "Hostel" sign is hidden from the street and rather faded from the weather, so some cleaner directions wouldn't go astray.

However, the hostel is rather clean and tidy, and good linen was provided, with a decent communal room with free internet access. Breakfast is simple coffee and toast, and no other cooking facilities were available from memory. Showers are limited, and as usual there was either a broken shower-head or missing shower curtain, but overall they were effective.

However, staff numbers were low - very low - in fact we were left in charge one evening... it was mid-July, I would have suspected things to be busy but it wasn't bad. Additionally, there was "no cash left on the premises" to refund our key deposit of 10 polish zloty. We attempted to argue our case, and even make off with the key, all in vain. 10z lost. Placed an sour ending on an otherwise reasonable stay in Gdansk. I wouldn't return, as I'm sure there's some other hotels that are cost-effective, but I would recommend to budget travelers.

6 Thank freezingkiwis