“A hotel suite at Scandic Gdansk does the job” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Scandic Gdansk

Hotel Scandic Gdansk
Ranked #14 of 83 Hotels in Gdansk
Copenhagen
“A hotel suite at Scandic Gdansk does the job”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2013

I stayed at the Scandic in Gdansk in conjunction with speaking at the CMO Congress in Gdansk.

Honestly, Scandic would not have been my first choice, but I was pleasantly surprised. Here is the lowdown;

Pros:
- I stayed in jr. Suite 303, and the room was just perfect
- Good location right across the main train station and a quick drive or walk to the Old City of Gdansk
- Service was good and efficient
- Free and fast internet connection throughout the property

Cons:
- it's not Hilton ;-)

I did not try the breakfast, nor did I eat at the restaurant, but I heard from others that it is decent.

Overall, I enjoyed my 3 nights there and will consider staying there upon my next visit to Gdansk.

Room Tip: Get a room on one of the top floors for a better view of Gdansk
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank michaelleander

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Katowice, Poland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2013

Central location, basic but clean rooms, good breakfast, 15 minute walk from the old town, very comfortable overall. There are better choices in Gdansk in my opinion (Hilton, Radisson, Qubus to name a few) but in terms od value for money Scandic leads the way.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
M Z, Front Office Manager at Hotel Scandic Gdansk, responded to this review, February 16, 2014
Dear tmlgsc,

Thank youvery much for your review. I'm glad that you see some of our values, though it's hard to compete with 5* hotels that you mention. I'm sure, that your next visi to our hotel will be a much better experience.

If you have any further comments, please don;t hesitate to contact me at michal.ziegert@scandichotels.com

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 24, 2013

As others have noted its more a 3 star, and it is fine! Formerly Holiday Inn and had a bit more of a presence but its the location for the main train station (just across the road) or a 1 night before getting the airport bus directly outside the hotel which makes it ideal.
Rooms are clean but basic: TV reception is poor with few English or international channels.Breakfast is of a 3 star...no fresh fruit (canned fruit only) usual cereals, some hot items and dried scrambled egg... could be so much better for the price....(walk round to the mall if you have time)
Staff are English speaking and helpful. There is a modern mall nearby, a movie house/theatre, 10 minutes to the old town on foot for plenty restaurants.
SO for location fine for 1 night, otherwise there are some really good hotels in the old town, including the modern Hilton which are for a special occasions.
Disappointing really...

Room Tip: Ask for a non smoking room ( as some rooms still in Poland are smoking)
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank wemyss1
M Z, Front Office Manager at Hotel Scandic Gdansk, responded to this review, January 16, 2014
Dear wemyss1,

Thank you very much for your review, though it's not a nice one for us. I can assure you, that we're much much better than a 3* hotel, and last moth we've exchanged all our TV sets, that you noticed were pretty old.

Oslo, Norway
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2013

Perfect for when you want to stay close to the shopping centres and train station. Good service and a nice breakfast. Free wifi for all three days we stayed there. We could have the room until 7pm for a small amount.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank johshh
M Z, Front Office Manager at Hotel Scandic Gdansk, responded to this review, May 10, 2013
Dear Johshh,

Thank you very much for your review!

I'm glad that you find our hotel a positive place to stay. I see that there were some cleaniness issues during your stay. I apologize for that in advance, but could you please let me know what hapenned that left us with only 3/5 mark in that?

And don't worry about our rooms interior, everything will start moving forward starting with TV's this year.

If you have any further comments you want to share please send me an email at:
michal.ziegert@scandichotels.com

Michal
Chorley, Lancashire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2013

I have just returned from a 4 night stay here. I have been to Gdansk many times before but have never stayed at the Scandic. I picked it because of its central location and the fact that it had a free cancellation option. I felt very relaxed from the moment I walked in the hotel as the young man on the check-in desk was very friendly and efficient. The room was spotless and had good facilities such as kettle and mini bar, ironing bard and iron, hairdryer etc. The bed was super comfy. I had a drink in the bar and felt at ease. I believe the restaurant is very good but I did not eat there. I felt that £10 per day for breakfast was a bit much and ate good breakfasts at a local bakery. I would definitely stay there again as it was a busy place but had no noise in the corridors at night and it was possible to have a very good sleep there!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
M Z, Front Office Manager at Hotel Scandic Gdansk, responded to this review, May 5, 2013
Dear Zuzka,

Thank you very much for your review. I'm glad that you are satisfied with this stay, especially if you see my front office so efficient.

I hope you will visit us again, and if so I will be happy to meet you personally, so you can share your opinion and maybe some ideas.

Michal Ziegert,
Front Office Manager
Olofstrom, Sweden
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2013

not much to complain about, nothing luxurious, looks like a 3 star hotel or less ( the inside of rooms) but was nice and not so expensive. we spend only 3-4 hours there asked for discount but didn't get any.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Al C,

Thank you very much for your review though it doesn't say much about us. I can only assure you, we're much much better than every 3* hotel you can find.

Bergen, Norway
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2013

This hotel is located just across the main street from the railway station, very convenient since Bus 210 stops here on the way to and from the airport. This bus costs less than an Euro and the trip takes 40-50 minutes. When getting the hotel in view, don’t be scared of the old soviet style building: Inside it is a very well maintained, and as most hotels in Poland the accommodation price is acceptable, but the breakfast is more expensive than elsewhere in town. We stayed in a two rooms junior suite and found this very acceptable! We asked for a room “away from the elevator” and got it: Just look at the picture of the corridor.

Conclusion: If you look for a historic hotel, go somewhere else! But if you need a quality place to sleep and not more then 10-15 minutes’ walk to Old Town, this one is a good alternative

Room Tip: The suites are at the top floor. There is very little trafic around the hotel, especially on the sid...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Halvor R
Dear Senior Globetrotter,

Thank you very much for your review. I'm glad that you liked our hotel so much.

As you mentioned, the outside might not seem so spectacular, but it's the inside that really matters:) I've seen your pictures and have some news, we've recently exchanged all of our TV sets, so our rooms are even better now! We knew it before, but to make sure I've checked it again today, and our breakfast is one of the cheapest of all in 4 and 5 * hotels in Gdańsk (even though you can choose from over 100 products).

I hope to see you in our hotel again some time soon!