“Best place in the city!”
Review of Hostel Zappio

Hostel Zappio
Ranked #4 of 193 Specialty Lodging in Gdansk
Québec
“Best place in the city!”
Reviewed March 18, 2013

I spent 3 nights in Zappio hostel and I've really enjoyed that place. I got everything we need for a cheap price. The location is perfect, in the middle of the old town, close to the buses and the tram. The showers were nice and clean. The breakfast, the linen and the towels are included. There is a restaurant/bar the hostel and I had a nice time with the friendly staff there, good food and a pianist playing for the night. Thanks for everything!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
  • Polish first
Rugby, UK
Reviewed March 7, 2013

I had not stayed in a hostel before and did not know what to expect. It was very cheap at 110pzl per night for a private room with bathroom including breakfast. The building is a tall town house and an example of "chabby chic" if you see what I mean. It had a kind of backpacker and Eastern European feel to it, which was really good from a cultural point of view. The room itself didn't really share many similarities with the photos on their website as it was rather 1970s, but it was clean and tidy with a comfy bed. No TV or facilities but this is not a critisism whatsoever given the price. I noticed that there was some refurbishment work going on during my stay, so perhaps all of the rooms are being done up to the standards shown in the hotel's website photos.

The ground floor and reception area had a great "community centre" feel to the place and I loved the big main entrance door with the curtain to keep out the cold. The staff were very helpful and pleasant indeed.

The bar downstairs was a delight - a true gem with a great bar man. Despite its tiny size there was live music on two nights.

The location was brilliant for exploring the old town.

For an experience unlike the clinical "branded" business hotels, this place is fantastic. Don't expect any frills whatsoever, but if you are a budget traveller seeking a social and cultural experience, this is the place for you.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Paris
Reviewed September 26, 2012

We spent 3 nights with my wife and my 2 little children in this hostel, 150 Zl. per night.

The hostel is located in an old city house closed to the river Vistula. We went there during dominikanten and it was everywhere busy and party, so it was very nice to stay in the old city. We had the highest room, 6th floor (without elevator), with an outstanding view on the cathedral towers. The equipment and the big room are a little old fashioned, but for a cheap price.

In the hostel, you will find a well known bar with a terrace, computers with internet, and on the morning a fantastic breakfast, with a royal choice !

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed August 11, 2012

Just come back today from Zappio after staying for 4 nights, all I have to say is AVOID....STAY SOMERWHERE ELSE!!!!!

Booked a room via the internet for a room with a double bed for 4 nights, before I made the booking I called the Hostel to see if the room I was booking had a double bed and they confirmed that it would.

When we arrived we found that they have booked us into a triple room, when we asked to change rooms we were advised that the hostel was fully booked and there were NO rooms with a double available for the next 4 days, we were told that we could have to talk to the manager in the morning and there is nothing he could do.

In the morning we spoke to the manager and he said that he could change the room but it would only be for the last 2 nights of our stay and that he could not refund the differents!

The hostel it self......

-The rooms have no lockers in them (room 8 and 11), had to carry our passports and cash with us at all times.
-No blinds in our room (room 8 and 11), had to put a blanket and towel over the window to keep the light out.
-Reception is rude and unhelpful.
-Breakfast? That`s if there was anything there, they would only come out every 30mins to restock the small buffet table that wasn’t big enough for the hostel.
-Toilet and shower were small and few. Only one toilet and shower per floor.

The only good thing about the hostel in the location! Right by the waterfront and 3min walk from the old town.

In other words if you’re looking for a place to stay in the Centre of the old town with NO frills then this is the place for you, but if you want to get some sleep or even eat breakfast then book somewhere else!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank MR_REVIEW_1978
Dallas, TX
Reviewed May 28, 2012

Before the hostel had my money for one room for 3 nights and a 2nd room for 4 nights, they were extremely nice and helpful, but after I had paid the evening before I was leaving in order to make my early departure the next day easy, they became very unhelpful and rude. The night before when I was paying out, the man on duty said there would be someone to help me with my luggage. My room was on the 6th floor up 3 very narrow spiral staircases. He had also helped us take our luggage to our rooms at checkin. The morning of departure came, and I came downstairs to get help as he had advised me to do and the lady on the front desk refused to help me or to get anyone to help me. I was forced to let my luggage go from the top of the trecherous stairs for these 3 flights. This was very frustrating. Then I went to the desk again to collect my receipt and the lady refused to give me one! Even though I had paid in full. I need the receipt for my records. At least I have a credit card receipt!
Also there is a terrible smell coming from the shower and sink drains of rooms 17 and 18 on the top floor. I think it is sewer gas.
The 1st night of our stay I was in room 15. It is so tiny that it was difficult to turn around.

Room Tip: I dodn't know if they have any good rooms.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank tango191191
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 26, 2012

Having not set foot in a hostel in 20 years, I stayed at Zappios in March 2012. The hotel is very well located, and all the sights of Gdansk can be reached on foot. My bedroom and the bathroom were simple, but very clean and comfortable. The receptionists were both helpful and friendly. There is also a great bar downstairs which has live music on Thur, Sat and Sun and a cozy atmosphere.
I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 18, 2012

I stayed in the apartment in hostel zappio and it was excellent. it is very large, has a fully functioning kitchen and the bed was very comfortable. No blinds or proper curtains in the bedroom was the only downside. I would definitely stay here again the location was excellent just a 1 minute walk to the waterfront. Many restaurants and bars all lined up on the way to the main street. If you stay out past a certain time the front door is locked however you just ring the bell as the reception is manned 24/7 i believe. it was very clean and the breakfast was quite good for poland - especially when it was included in room price. You could have a cup of teacoffee and also fresh bread with cheese hams and also jam. The breakfast room is also the pub which is canny for night time drinks. It was freezing in Gdansk when i stayed her but the apartment was lovely and warm the whole time! Would definitley stay here again if i return.

Room Tip: stay in the apartment if only 2 of you!
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends