“nice dinner”

Cuisines: Polish
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed August 12, 2012

We went there for dinner on a Friday evening. The restaurant was almost full and there was a band playing live some known Polish and Russian songs (and some others as well). We ordered zander with mushrooms and it was very tasty and crispy, not very large though. We drank Israeli white wine, but it was nothing to get crazy about. Then we also ordered prawns (great!) and spicy crayfish tails (very hot and spicy indeed). Everything was served quickly with no special fuss. Another great evening in Gdańsk.

There are newer reviews for Tawerna Dominikanska

Reviewed July 12, 2012

My wife and I made the mistake of visiting Tawerna Dominikanska on a recent trip to Gdansk and believe it to be the worst restaurant we've been to in Poland. The service was a complete shambles, almost comical, and the food was terrible.

Although it was not that busy the staff seemed overwhelmed and, as we found out, proved to be completely incompetent. We ordered soups for starters and fish for main. After almost half an hour of waiting for our soup, we asked where it was and were told it was coming. Then our fish arrived two minutes later (we never saw our soups). They had taken the unique culinary approach of deep fat frying everything including salmon, not what my wife was expecting and not to her liking. My regular fish was also deep fat fried, very dry and completely tasteless. The vegetables were straight boiled from the bag.

While trying to eat our awful food, a waitress carrying a tray of drinks, who had been rushing around all evening, slipped and threw a whole tray of beer and wine over the group sitting at the table behind us. They were soaked, glasses shattered on the table and into their food and it was chaos.

That was our cue to leave and when we got the bill we noticed that my fish came to 80zl - significantly more expensive than the salmon. When we questioned the bill, the waitress went away and when the bill returned my fish was 20zl. Nothing was said about why it was originally charged at 80zl but had we not been familiar with regular Polish prices, then we may not have questioned it.

All in all, a terrible meal, in a very poorly run restaurant. We would not return nor recommend it.

Reviewed June 26, 2012

Excellent restuarant in the heart of gdansk. Good food,good service and good value

Reviewed May 31, 2012

This is a typical restaurant that counts on its location and the amount of tourists visiting to make money despite failing to provide a pleasant experience, because there will always be new patrons trying it out. The steak tartare we both ordered was so bland I didn't even know what I was eating and the deer sirloin in the main course must have been living in the fridge for a very long time before it made it on to my plate. We didn't bother finishing the main course or ordering dessert...never again.

Reviewed April 11, 2012

The restaurant is very central, in Old town, and looks very nice. We ordered the spicy fish soup, which was very nice . My sons fish and chips was horrible, for a start fish had bones, even when the waiter assured us that the kids meal doesnt contain any bone, and the french fries werent cook properly and very oily. My wife fried fish was ok, and my fish with leeks and tomatoes was excellent. Ordered a grrek salad, but had to return it,because tomatoes looked like weere kept in the fridge over night, the greek cheese, didnt taste at all like feta, more like pressed cottage cheese, and the dressing wasnt good at all. The cheese cake was excellent as well. All in all we paid PLN 205 for our meal and 3 glasses of wine, which is cheap, but the food is nothing to shout about.