“Wow! Worth crossing the country for.”
Review of Moravska Chalupa

Moravska Chalupa
Ranked #8 of 325 Restaurants in Ostrava
Cuisines: Czech
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed December 17, 2012

I have had the good fortune this year to stay in some top hotels and eat in excellent restaurants. But for me, our eating experience at the Moravska Chalupa was better than any I have experienced not just this year, but in well over a decade. I confess to being a big fan of Ostrava and its people, and the restaurant typified the Ostrava experience. Very friendly and efficient service, a cosy and unpretentious atmosphere, excellent value for money and fantastic food. I recommend the steak tartare, pork knuckle, and 'farmer's potatoes'. It's on a street adjacent to Stodolni so after a meal it's easy to enjoy a nightcap or two in one of the many bars. Like the city the restaurant has real substance, and it alone is worth crossing the country for!

Reviewed November 6, 2012

Very very good restaurant. In the center of city, easy to find . Fanstastic is the salmon and also the "lava stone " with a mixed meat . Take the local beer and enjoy your meal .

Reviewed October 12, 2012

This was a real jewel of a find and should definitely be on your "to do" list. The food is very authentical Czech with all the usual roast duck, dumplings, red cabbage, broths etc, but the atmosphere is charming too. We went on a not so busy night, the waitress spoke good enough English and brought everything we asked for. As you can see by the pics, the portions are enormous so do ensure that you go hungry for a while before coming here. All of our dishes were delicious just what you need after an all day long drive.
I would highly recommend this little restaurant and try everything on the menu.

We came late so our side of the restaurant was empty which meant that my husband was allowed to have one cigarette inside...probably not legal but he enjoyed it all the same. As a non-smoker I hasten to add that the restaurant was not stuffy or smoky and I guess he was only allowed as they were closing. Nice bit of flexibility though. Would make a point of coming here again if I was in the area.

All of the food (starters & side dishes) & drinks I photographed came to about 40 Euro!!! Bargain!

1  Thank Groovybaby18
Reviewed October 9, 2012

visited several times, never got disappointed. service is perfectly balanced - they are at your table in right time with right attitude. Veprove koleno (pig's knee) is excellent. atmosphere - good. Prices are not lowest in town, but you get what you pay for, in case of Moravska Chalupa - you get even more than you pay for :))

Reviewed July 26, 2012

It simple I like it. I really recommend especially to non-Czech visitor to try the traditional food. YOu have also god choice of good beer and ervice is very friendly.