“I'd Go Back Any Time”

Ranked #1 of 18 Hotels in Ostrava
American in France
“I'd Go Back Any Time”
Reviewed December 31, 2012

This place is really nice. I spent four weeks here between November and December this year, and I can say without a doubt that I'll be staying here again.
I've probably stayed at probably two dozen Mercure hotels, and this was one of the nicest. My bathroom was large, and the shower head (under which I probably spent 40 minutes a day) is SO nice. It was about a foot in diameter, and was like standing under steaming hot rain. My room was quiet, though my colleagues who stayed on the side of the hotel facing the main avenue said they had some street noise, but nothing too bad apparently.
Interestingly, my colleague who's from the neighborhood tells me that this building used to be the local communist party headquarters. There's still a plaque in the entryway dedicated to resistance fighters and party members who died fighting the Nazi occupation. I thought it was nice that the hotel left it up. Certainly they should be remembered.
There are plenty of good restaurants within walking distance, and plenty of places to have a beer. The hotel's restaurant is good, though I wish they'd serve more traditional Czech soups (which in general are awesome).
What else?
The internet service is free (do you hear that Mercure France and Germany?), and generally fast enough. I suppose that if you're downloading movies 24/7 it's going to be insufficient, but I had no problems.
Not to mention that a lot of restaurants in the area have free wifi, which is really nice.
I didn't try the gym or steam room, but my colleagues did, and they tell me it was quite good.
The parking was OK, but if there was a conference at the hotel, it got pretty full. I suppose that's my one complaint: the parking, during conferences.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Mercure_Ostrava, General Manager at Mercure Ostrava Center, responded to this review, January 8, 2013
Dear guest, We are delighted to note that we have met your expectations during your stay with us. At Mercure Ostrava Center we are committed to consistently providing warm, efficient and discrete service to our guests and their appreciation and acknowledgement is always our greatest reward. We are looking forward to welcoming you back to the hotel. Vladimir Sic, General Manager.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Prague
Reviewed December 17, 2012

I stayed for just one night in November a really enjoyed the hotel. The property is new, clean and located conveniently close to the Stodolni street (the famous party street which is one of the biggest tourist attractions of Ostrava). The staff people were friendly and really helpful. I would definitely go back.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Mercure_Ostrava, General Manager at Mercure Ostrava Center, responded to this review, December 19, 2012
Dear Guest, We appreciate you taking the time to review our hotel Mercure Ostrava Center. We are glad to hear you have enjoyed your stay with us and that you were satisfied with our staff and services. This is going to be shared with them to encourage their further progress. Vladimir Sic, General Manager.
Prague
Reviewed December 16, 2012

Stayed three nights on a business trip.

The location is excellent: very close to the centre with Stodolní Street just 10 minutes away. There was a warm welcome at reception and aside from the fact the steam bath was out of action first impressions were positive. The room, like the public areas, was spotlessly clean. While wardrobe space was a touch limited almost everything else was fine. The set top box in my room was not working, but reception staff did ensure it that the TV was working properly by evening time on the first day. Four French-language channels immediately after Czech ones in the numbering of channels is bizarre in Ostrava. Surely the French owners could pay a little more attention to Central European priorities and put Polish, German or English language channels higher up the pecking order? Breakfasts were excellent, but for us the big disappointment was dinner. Salmon was served instead of the sea wolf ordered, fish of the day appeared to be meat in disguise, pork knuckle was nothing of the kind-small pieces of very dry pork with overly sour sauerkraut and very ordinary dumplings. Moravian wines and Czech beer were overpriced. The waiter forgot to return to take orders for dessert, even though the menu had been issued. Some will appreciate the presentation of the food, but if the restaurant goes for nouvelle cuisine type presentation with the usual postage stamp-sized portions at the very least it can deliver what is described on the menu.

Given such an approach It is inconceivable that the hotel can keep its TA ''Excellence'' rating in 2012. A pity, because there are many postives...

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Wulfrunian
Dear Guest, Thank you for taking the time to post this your comments regarding our hotel Mercure Ostrava Center. I will be sharing the comments with the team, and it will be a great motivation for us to carry on to provide comfortable and qualitative stay. I am very sorry that you were not satisfied with your dinner at our reastaurant. Please be adviced that we are trying to provide the best service possible, but unfortunately some mistakes occasionaly happens. The satisfaction of our customers is the most important and we learnt from your comment. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly on H7051-GM@accor.com if you are planning to visit Ostrava City in the future.
Hope during your next visit we can prove our skills and provide you with better service and better quality on our F&B department.
Best regards, Vladimir Sic, General Manager
Prague, Czech Republic
Reviewed November 28, 2012

Altough the price is a little bit more expensive (I paid about 1300 CZK per night / single room), It's really worth to stay here, especially if you need some nice, clean, comfortable and well situated hotel in Ostrava /just few minutes of walk from Stodolni streeet and 15 minutes on a tram or trolleybus from main train station.
Reception staff was smiling and helpful, spacious room with all equipment you need, rich and fresh breakfast - this all give me 100% satisfaction and reason to stay here again if heading to Ostava.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Mercure_Ostrava, General Manager at Mercure Ostrava Center, responded to this review, December 3, 2012
Dear Guest, on behalf of Mercure team I would like to thank you for such a positive feedback which I will communicate to the team. We are really happy that you have enjoyed your stay with us. We will be pleased to welcome you again in the future. Vladimir Sic, General Manager.
Cadenet
Reviewed November 23, 2012

This hotel has been awarded "Excellence" in 2011. I do hope nothing will prevent it getting the same for the year 2012. Everyone cares about you,The restaurant offers an excellent and original food (I 'll keep in my mind the nice red root purée !).
All the best for 2013.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Mercure_Ostrava, General Manager at Mercure Ostrava Center, responded to this review, November 23, 2012
Dear guest,
Thank you very much for providing your feedback again to other travellers. I am very happy reading you enjoyed our hospitality during your stay. I will with pleasure share your feedback with my team and it will be a great motivation for us to carry on to provide comfortable and qualitative stay. We are looking forward to welcoming you soon back to the Mercure Ostrava Center! My best regards from Ostrava Vladimir Sic, General Manager
Pilsen
Reviewed November 22, 2012

It was very nice stay in hotel Mercure Ostrava. Very friendly staff, nice and clean room with comfortable bed and very rich breakfast. The hotel is near railway station and near popular "Stodolní" street with many pubs and bars. I recommend this hotel.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Dear Guest, Thank you for your positive review on Trip Advisor. All our team and I are delighted to have such a great feedback from you. It was a pleasure having you stay with us and we look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back to Mercure Ostrava Center. Vladimir Sic, General Manager