Hotel Amphone
  • Pool
Good 3.5/5
Average 3/5
    • Breakfast included
    See what travelers are saying:
    FilterAll languages
    Reviewed June 10, 2008

Unless it's the last hotel in Brno, avoid the Amphone like the plague. The staff were unfriendly and borderline rude, dealing with booking in, checking out standard requests like directions and dining advice with surly reluctance. Hotel guests, it seems, were an imposition on the staff.
    The general décor of the hotel was very tired and in need or some serious updating – the carpets were worn and sticky, the walls were dull and dirty and the whole building looked and felt tawdry and tired.
    Although the hotel is situated in a pleasant and quiet tree-lined avenue just ten minutes walk from the town centre, it was undergoing construction work which I was not told about when I booked. So there was hammering, sawing and banging throughout the day, dust and electric cables everywhere and a general air of disorganisation and disruption.
    The rooms were shabby - the nasty nylon curtains in my room were held up by just a few hooks, the windows didn't close properly, the walls were marked and dirty and housekeeping amounted to nothing more than rearranging the bedding and occasionally replacing the bathroom floor mat.
    The bathroom was awful - cramped and dark with exposed plumbing and unfinished holes in the tiling. The shower was a small unlit tiled cubicle with no fixed mounting for the shower head and just a scrap of plastic as a shower curtain. A tiny bar of soap and some sandpaper-like towels were all that were supplied.
    The wifi was free but given that the signal was so weak it was all but useless.
    Breakfast in the dimly-lit basement was a desultory array of meats, basic cereals, some rubbery eggs, bread and coffee that looked like mud and tasted worse.
    I wasn't expecting The Peninsula, but for around £50 a night I thought the hotel was a disgrace.

• Stayed: June 2008
    21  Thank Airmilesman
    Reviewed March 31, 2008

I just read some other reviews slating this hotel. I can't say it was my experience. I stayed here 2 years ago in 2006 with my husband whilst on a short visit to Brno. We found the hotel nicely located, clean and quite comfortable (stayed in a "suite" on the top floor) and inexpensive. The cafe/restaurant was fine too. We had no problems with the service or surly staff.

Stayed: April 2006
    2  Thank VSPerth
    Reviewed September 27, 2007

My word, I should have listened to you guys regarding this hotel! I would not even give it 2 stars let alone it having 3...A price was agreed by email which i checked constantly, but when i got there they took more cash from me for double room when i only needed a single room! They had plumbing problems but don't have the money to repair so there are leaks!
    The staff are the most miserable, unwelcoming people you could ever meet on this earth! the whole place stinks of 30 years worth of stale food...someone else commented on this site that if you ask for something or something is not right, they will go out their way to make sure they cannot help you, boy and didn't i know it, they argued in front of me in Czech, which was not very professional at all, terrible, they could do with some lessons in customer service, because the customer does not come first at this hotel!!!! remember i said that, because i didn't come first....i ended up crying to get what i wanted, really appalling. For the first 3 days they made my stay hell...
    There are 2 computers but one is rubbish, you only get 15 minutes free but it takes 5 minutes to load as it is never left on, one is not up dated with the latest virus scanner, and will not list the pages, i know about computers but trying to explain this my face was turning blue, their English language, well i thought they could speak English, i dare say they may understand very little because i certainly did not get the replies i wanted! blank was a constant expression....
    The bathrooms, well very dated like back in the 70's though clean enough...rooms are basic and did the job, nice mini bar but i didn't have anything. The only good point is that it is in a quiet spot, 10 mins walk to town centre, the maid comes in every morning to tidy and change towels if you leave them on the floor, and empties bin etc...i personally don't like anyone in the room if i am not there...breakfast is good, nice choice...overall plenty of people appear to stay here why i will never know??? It costs nothing to smile, and this staff at the Amphone are one set of people I will not miss seeing!!! you have been warned!!! I'd rather give my money to charity. Their website is decieving and everything looks nice until you get there and see for yourself, check out my pics.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled solo
    11  Thank vd100
    Reviewed February 16, 2007

if you want pampering this is not the hotel for you,if you want basic bed and breakfast then this is one of the most friendly hotels in the area with english speaking staff.rooms are clean,beds are a bit hard.plenty to see and do and the beer is cheap and the food plentyfull.we found it cheaper to book direct,just google it.have a good trip

Stayed: February 2007
    4  Thank duganddianne
    Reviewed November 10, 2006

This hotel was reserved by a business colleague because all other hotels in town were booked. The pictures in their website indicated a hotel which looked ok, but this was nothing short of a big lie. All I can say is that I have travelled extensively for the past 25 years, and this was the worst hotel I have ever stayed. The worst part was the condition of the rooms...the smell was a combination of cigarette smoke and old french fries. Most everthing in the bathroom was either in poor condition or not functioning at all. For example, in the shower, there was only a nozzle, no place to mount it so that you could shampoo, no shelve for soap or no light. It was like camping. The staff was surley at best (robots have more personality) and the manager tried to convince us to spend more of our money at his wive's Thai restaurant next door. I told him I was dissatisfied with the hotel and irriated that it that it took us 10 minutes to find the hotel parking (with the directions they provided) and that maybe it would make sense to have a small sign indicating the hotel parking place. His response was that last time they had done that, it was an invitation for theives to steal the guest's autos (which had evidently occured) Well, I guess the Czech Republic is not yet quite civilized regarding crimes.

Positives (and the only reason I gave it 2 stars instead of one) very cheap - 30 euros with breakfast, clean sheets and a quite location only 10 minutes walk from town.

This would be a good hotel where someone has a very tight budget, but not for tourist or business people.

By the way, I found Brunn to be a very beautiful town, nicely rebuilt and the people I met were quite accomodating (but as friendly as in Western Europe or the US).

• Stayed: November 2006