“Worth seeing”

4-Hour Bike tour in Brno with Guide
Ranked #1 of 126 things to do in Brno
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: This modernist landmark is an outstanding example of the international architectural style that flourished in 1920s Europe.
Reviewed June 24, 2013

Make your reservations a month in advance! I love touring UNESCO world heritage sites and Tugendhat is so interesting. The architecture is wonderful and great stories to go along with the tour. Great views and seeing the living area windows lower are really an engineering marvel. Make sure you get a tour in your language - more helpful that way..... Also interesting is the surrounding area of the house which has some beautiful homes.

1  Thank lindadrew13
There are newer reviews for Villa Tugendhat

Reviewed June 23, 2013

We travelled to the Czech Republic specifically to visit this world heritage site and we were not disappointed. The building was the most beautiful domestic building we have ever seen. The fee to enter is very modest. There is a small book shop at the end of the tour. The tour guide spoke good English and was knowledgeable (we went on the full, technical tour). I had booked the tour in advance from England and had had some difficulty doing so. The internet site would not allow me to book and I had great difficulty in getting through on the telephone. However, apparently, not as much difficulty as czech citizens in Brno have! I asked the hotel receptionist to confirm the time of the tour. She could not get through. She said that she always had difficutly in getting through. She emailed. No reply. She tried again. No-one answered. Only by being extremely persistant did I finally manage to make contact. When we arrived at the Villa, there was no obvious way to enter. By accident, I managed to speak to a tour guide who spoke English and he opened a gate for us. But what would have happened if we had not coincided, I do not know. I asked for a photocopy of some notes on the Villa and the receptionist gave them to me (they were behind the counter). However, the tour guide said that I would "have to give them back at the end of the tour"! When I challenged this, he backed off. But what on earth is going on here? Photocopies cost pennies. This is a World Heritage Site into which millions of pounds have been poured. The Villa is a treasure. The organisation is a disgrace.

1  Thank dopeyhopey
Reviewed June 18, 2013

This place is the most interesting house tour ever. Not very imposing from the street view, but huge and modern inside - despite being almost 100 years old. The family story was fascinating, and the features of the house are spectacular - I won't give them away, but some real surprises from something built so long ago.

Reviewed May 26, 2013

If you're not interested in functionalist architecture, you're likely to find the tour a little exhaustive. For fans, though, it is a thorough exploration of a faithfully restored architectural gem.

Reviewed May 1, 2013

I was first at the house in 1968 with my mother, a student in the first class Mies Van der Rohe taught at IIT (the Amour Institute) in Chicago. It was a dance studio with the half moon dining room wall removed, the columns painted a pastel color and the floor and grounds a mess! It was just weeks after Dubceck had been tossed out and Russian tanks and soldiers were everywhere. (As a took pictures of the inside a gun was put to my head to discourage such behavior)
Fast forward to April 30, 2013: The restoration is fantastic! It is as it was first built, probably better because of improved materials. It was magic to see the huge windows drop into the floor, as when original. (In '68 they were 4'X4' lights of glass framed by 2x4s)
It was a true blessing to be able to take my mother back as a 93rd birthday present!

1  Thank Bruce D