“Amazing Villa, Truly Worth the Trip”
Review of Villa Tugendhat

4-Hour Bike tour in Brno with Guide
Ranked #1 of 126 things to do in Brno
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: This modernist landmark is an outstanding example of the international architectural style that flourished in 1920s Europe.
Reviewed July 9, 2012

Reading a bit of the history of this site before you see it is important to help understand the historical importance of the house, as well as to provide a platform for understanding its current role. Personally, I found this to be the most beautiful home I have ever seen. And, unlike so many historical homes that one can visit, a place I can easily imagine living.

Booking in advance is critical. I found the English language guide easy to understand, well versed in the history of the home, and open to questions. I have been once, and plan to return with family, friends, and camera.

2  Thank reynardridge
There are newer reviews for Villa Tugendhat

Reviewed June 25, 2012

splendid villa on a hill with view on the city center, established by 1930 and originally renovated, reopened in 2012

1  Thank happyfourGent
Reviewed June 19, 2012

After booking our tickets in advance as recommended (we did it by mail since we couldnt make it work through the website booking system), we arrived effortlessly after a short walk from the tram stop nearby.
The villa was fantastic and the tour guides were eloquent and "knowing". We are both huge fans of MvdR and enjoyed experiencing the spaces first hand.
We were also impressed by the way the tour guide set the context for us. Walking around in this spacious, light filled house, instantly made us forget that it was actually drawn, built and lived in 80 yrs ago. Well thought out detail to put an old car in the garage... That set the time frame for us.
The downstairs museum shop had an excellent variety of books etc at very reasonable prices.
Very memorable experience., for both my architect husband and for me as a person with a non professional approach to architecture.
Some say the best view of Brno is from Tugendhat. We wouldn't know, but it was indeed a beautiful view.

1  Thank Line M
Reviewed June 18, 2012

The villa is beautiful, that's for sure. But to get there you have to accomplish more than you would wish on a day that is supposed to be about the joys of travelling. First, you have to find an opening. You can visit the interior with a guide only. They accept just 15 people per hour. There are two tours: interiors and technical background. If you're not interested in the technical background of the villa (heating, fur safe), you only have like four tours a day to try to get to. For a UNESCO monument, that seems to me quite insufficient.

Second, the villa resembles a fortress! There is no entrance area - the cash desk is hidden, locked and invisible, there is no café, no museum shop, no bookshop, nothing! You have to press some button (congratulations if you have found it and if it occurred to you what you're supposed to do with it), wait for a person, that person will lock up a door in the fence and guide you to the cash desk. If you buy a "garden tour" (a ticket for the garden, simply - the Czech love to complicate things with language, it's a 200 years old tradition), this person will accompany you outside to the street and open another door in the fence for you. Fortunately, while leaving, it's enough just to press another button and this door will release you.

My strongest experience after a visit to this Mies van der Rohe masterpiece doesn't concern architecture. I just had one question in my head all the time during and after the visit: Why all that rigour???!!!

4  Thank Saint-Grail
Reviewed June 14, 2012

Informative and interesting tour. Awe-inspiring turn-of-the-century architecture and austere yet elegant interiors. Book ahead to secure entry.