“Great food but service could be a bit better”

Pod Radnicnim Kolem
Ranked #43 of 918 Restaurants in Brno
Cuisines: Czech
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed August 10, 2014

The restaurant is located just off the main square and is down in the basement which was a great location for it. The decor on the inside was awesome and had a nice and relaxed atmosphere about it. I ordered the leg of duck with dumplings and cabbage which was very tasty indeed and had had their garlic and bacon soup to start with (word to the wise, unless you are ridiculously hungry stick to just the duck if you're having it as there is a lot of eating in it!). Vegetarian options are few and far between, there were just a few salads to choose from for my girlfriend as the penne pasta option was unavailable the night we were there.

In all everything was really good about this place with the exception of one important thing, service. I kind of got the feeling that the staff weren't that pushed about impressing us, more just wanted to get us fed and out of the place. Maybe it was just me but in comparison to Hostinec u Seminaru where we had been a couple of nights previous, the staff did not seem all that friendly or interested in providing good customer service. If you can deal with that and are just looking for good food then this place is worth visiting but not sure I'd be too pushed to go back.

2  Thank Stuart C
There are newer reviews for Pod Radnicnim Kolem

Reviewed August 5, 2014

I have known the restaurant for a long time and i have always enjoyed it. It was again a great time with an amazing food served by friendly stuff and cooked to my satisfaction. Will be back soon :)

Reviewed May 30, 2014

All four of us had a great meal and a great time!! Granny's soup (with noodles) was unusual and very tasty so was the Goats cheese, in fact we must have had most of the menu except I couldn't fit a dessert!! I would thoroughly recommend this place for romantic, friends and business meals. I am surprised by some of the negative comments from others as we had such a good time there!

Reviewed May 22, 2014

visited this restaurant at 5.30pm.Was totally empty - which was funny as the waitress was saying that they were booked full the days before (all were normal weekdays). Tables are very small (for couples). What i did not like in this type of restaurant was that i heard the waitstaff cursing (that is not acceptable for me) on something - thats just unproffesional. Food was good, but nothing really extraordinary in that pricerange. Not really a good variety of drinks (1 type of beer - pilsner urquell), wine list looked way better (for affordable prices too)

Reviewed April 8, 2014

We'd spent the better part of about two hours walking about the centre of Brno to find someplace good to eat... initially we had wanted something lighter, but by the time we walked by this restaurant we were ready for something more substantial. When we peeked in the place looked empty, and after accepting the waitress's invitation to come downstairs, we saw that we were indeed the only customers.

There are usually two things that turn me off when it comes to restaurants and bars - that they're in a cellar, and that they're absolutely empty. However, I'm glad that this time we stayed, because the food was absolutely amazing. We're both Czech, so we're no strangers to Czech cuisine, both homemade and restaurant food. And this was one of the best meals we'd both had. My partner's svíčková was excellent, and the duck leg I had was equally so. Duck meat is notoriously hard to cook well, and at many restaurants you'll end up with something relatively tough and stringy. Here though, they've got it down and the duck leg was not only quite large, but exceedingly tender. Ditto the "Karlovy Vary" dumplings, which were light and airy, not heavy and chewy as they sometimes can be. The sauerkraut, which was delicious, was made with prunes, giving it an extra interesting touch.

I also had a nice wheat beer which went well with the food. Only two things made our experience fall short of a perfect one: that it was a Saturday and we hadn't come the day before, as on Fridays they have a live cimbalom band. The other is that despite being a Moravian restaurant, they didn't have any good slivovitz, only the commercial and pedestrian Jelinek brand. It would have made the perfect digestif after our meal.

The service was very good too, attentive but not overbearing, and friendly.

1  Thank mrazm