“Good food, rude staff”

Cuisines: Czech
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: Praha 2
Description: We are non-smoking small family restaurant focused mainly on Czech cuisine. All of our meals are made without any glutamate, dyes, condiments and other preservatives. To flavor dishes we use just salt, pepper and fresh herbs. Permanent menu starts at 3pm every weekday. The lunch menu is available from 11am till 3pm until then, but with very limited offer and especially for local people. Regular menu is then available all weekend plus we do weekend specials.
Reviewed July 3, 2017

The two stars are entirely for the food and drink. I would have given those four stars if it wasn't for the attitude of the staff. My goulash was lovely and the cappuccino was the nicest I've had in the Czech Republic so far.

The staff just weren't very good. First, we waited a long time to be served- we got there mid-afternoon and the restaurant wasn't even that busy. Then, the waiter asked for just a drinks order without waiting to see if we were ready for food- we were as we had already been waiting quite a while. Then after ordering water, no water was brought. When we asked again the waiter reacted like it had been forgotten, still took quite a while to bring us water and offered no apology when they brought it. We were confused at the water they had brought us as it seemed different to what other people had on their tables but I was very thirsty (apart from being a hot day it was a bit airless in the restaurant) so I was just pleased to have it.

In the menu there was an explanation of how the restaurant came about, the story behind the name etc. It made it sound like a very special place. However the staff didn't give the impression of caring very much. There was no attempt to do anything that would make us enjoy our meal more. For example I was confused about one of the beers and the waiter didn't really explain about it- I am a beer enthusiast and just a little bit of enthusiasm on his part would have been nice. Or, I was only asked about whether my food was good once I had finished it- no one checked while we were actually eating. In a local pub, this would be understandable- but in a place like this with a good reputation and seemingly aspiring to give high standards of service, it isn't.

The real problem came when we got to the bill and I found that the water we had been given was much more expensive than the water I had wanted to order. Despite the menu being in English- that part of the drinks menu was in Czech. I explained that we had just wanted the same water that was on everyone else's table. The waiter said we had asked for the wrong thing- I had asked for a big bottle of still water and what I should actually have asked for if I wanted the cheaper version was a 'carafe' of water. As the words for the water were in Czech and it was obvious why the mistake could have been made- also as we were only talking about a small amount of money and as we were already paying for 2 mains, 2 beers and a coffee as well as the water I thought as a goodwill gesture that they could have charged us for the water that we had actually wanted. Not only did the waiter refuse to change the bill but he was generally rude and unhelpful about the whole situation and seemed to think it was entirely our fault.

I refused to leave a tip considering the level of the service. When we left the staff were sarcastic with us and made our visit feel like it had ended on a bad note.

Reading the response of the management to some of the reviews on here I can see why not everyone enjoys their visit. The majority of management responses, rather than just taking responsibility- question whether someone has been to their restaurant; question what the customer is saying, give excuses like 'we had a busy, long day' so of course we might not be so friendly; or say things like ' But anyway, according to your other reviews you haven't been satisfied in a single place you visited so I don't feel that bad after all' and perhaps my favourite in response to a bad lunch review 'Lunch menu is mostly for local people'!

In my own case anyone can see that I write a range of ratings- both good and bad for places depending on my experience- and that I have written a great many positive reviews. This one= definitely bad, so please make your own conclusions about whether you'd like to go.

3  Thank AlexSwallow
Write a ReviewReviews (5,353)

Reviewed July 2, 2017 via mobile

Nice place for dinner. Very good food for reasonable price. Make sure you have a reservation, because it is full most of the time. The kitchen is open until 22:00 and the restaurant until 23:00.

Reviewed July 1, 2017

Found the place on tripadvisor and we weren't disappointed. Nice rustic restaurant, good service and the food was very good. Our table had a mix of classic Czech food with meat and vegetarian (risotto, marinated beetroot, which was excellent). We were in Prague only for 3 nights and this was the best meal we had.
You need to make a reservation, there's always a line of people waiting for a table (at least Friday & Sat evening).
Next time we're in Prague we would definitely go back.

Reviewed July 1, 2017 via mobile

Visited for dinner while at conference. Booked and glad did as very busy on hot summer night. Bit off the main tourist track but easily accessible. Like many Czech restaurants very extensive menu with local and more international dishes. We enjoyed the carpaccio followed by beef cheeks, chicken breast and pork choices. All well prepared and well balanced. Sweets were also appetising. Beer, of course, good. Very reasonable price and we left happy. Worth a try as better than many

Reviewed June 30, 2017 via mobile

Since I stayed near Vyšehrad area and planned to try out Czech food, I found many people on TripAdvisor talked about U Kroka. The roast duck and rabbit leg were among the best, and even my kids loved their stewed beef kiddy meal! The dumplings were nice too! All these coupled with a pint of Pilsner pivo (beer) added true enjoyment to the dining experience!