“Atmosphere not worth the hike”
Review of U Kroka

U Kroka
Ranked #54 of 5,758 Restaurants in Prague
Cuisines: Czech
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: Praha 2
Description: We are non-smoking small family restaurant focused mainly on Czech cuisine. All of our meals are made without any glutamate, dyes, condiments and other preservatives. To flavor dishes we use just salt, pepper and fresh herbs. Permanent menu starts at 3pm every weekday. The lunch menu is available from 11am till 3pm until then, but with very limited offer and especially for local people. Regular menu is then available all weekend plus we do weekend specials.
Reviewed November 12, 2012

Truth be said, both of us had a delicious dinner for $20usd. This place is great value, speedy service, friendly staff and yummy food. However, having this restaurant as third on the list for best places in Prague is deceiving. The atmosphere is seriously not worth the hike from the historic center. The decor and ambiance of the restaurant could be anywhere in the US. I think most of the other diners when I went were also tourists - so unfortunately not much local flavor going on either. If you want good Czech food at a decent price, go for it. If you want a place with decent atmosphere, keep looking.

Write a ReviewReviews (4,951)

Reviewed November 12, 2012

Hard to find and excellent food and desserts! Go for the beer, the pork medallions with mustard sauce and the Czech chocolate pie

1  Thank MavrosJR
Reviewed November 11, 2012 via mobile

Note: Tripadvisor's map points to a wrong location, should be some 500+ m southward. -Excellent well prepared portions, cosy informal atmosphere, friendly and effective service, very moderate pricing. Earns well its high TA ranking.

Reviewed November 6, 2012

We went to this restaurant because it was highly reviewed on Tripadvisor and because it was fairly near our hotel. We weren't disappointed - this was traditional czech food, but adapted for westerners - not so heavy or such enormous portions as at other resauants we had enjoyed. I had pork tenderloin stuffed with plums which was unusual but very tasty. My husband had blade steak - which would be hard to get hold of in England - and was absolutely delicious, and perfectly cooked. We managed a starter between us and a dessert between us - which was a happy contrast to other restaurants where we had staggered out unable to finish and too stuffed with 'man food' to walk. And the whole meal, including drinks and coffees and tips, was less than £30 for two

Reviewed November 5, 2012

I visited u Kroka on a Monday evening in October with my partner after reading the reviews on Tripadvisor. We walked to the restaurant in the daytime to make sure we could find it and also to book a table. We were very impressed with everything! The staff were lovely and friendly. The atmosphere was perfect (the music was not loud at all), beer was good, food was excellent and everywhere was lovely and clean.

It was full at 8pm when we arrived, so booking a table was worthwhile, but I imagine if you turned up and there was no space, you could visit a local bar and come back in an hour or so as the place quietened down around 9 to 930pm.

I had a pork schnitzel (I have not had a good one since one in austria some 20 years ago!!) and it was amazing!! My partner had a salad and was very impressed with the amount of food and the high quality. The prices are also amazing so get yourself down there! You will not be disappointed. I also liked the fact they did not automatically add a service charge onto the bill like others did when we were there, so it gave me the oportunity to tip what I wanted to.

We are thinking of getting married in Prague next year and am considering booking a very large table, so we can take our friends for a nice Czech meal there as it was that good!!

Thankyou for a lovely night!!

1  Thank MartininYork