“great location, helpful staff, huge rooms and great decor”
Review of Old Prague Hostel

Old Prague Hostel
Ranked #151 of 704 Specialty Lodging in Prague
Reviewed May 12, 2009

great location, was having hard time locating it in the first day. a bit of a long walk round the block at night when the shortcut through the shopping centre is close but the lane is safe and sufficiently lighted so no problem, moreover there is a police station right across the hostel, Big point for location, walking distance to all atractions. nice restaurant around the area and cheap too! not much about the breakfast, enjoy the juices but the sandwich is so hard I ends up using it to feed the birds in the park . ha ha. another good point informative and nice staff, not friendly but try to meet your needs and are patient, Nice room, got a double that is so huge it can sleep 6 on floor, surprisingly comfortable bed cover and pillow! Definately Value for money.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jaymalaysia

Reviewed February 11, 2009

My boyfried and I stayed at the Old Prague Hostel this past summer. We booked a private room, but we were right next to the common area. Although quiet hours are technically in place, nobody followed the rules and we couldn't sleep for the noise. If I were to own a hostel, I would place the large dorm style rooms closest to the common areas and the more private single or double rooms the farthest away, it just makes the most sense.
Our room was basic with minimal ammenities, but it just didn't feel clean.
The common areas were nice with TV/movies and small but adequate kitchen facilities.
Oh, and they allow smoking in the common areas, which was quite bothersome. At least those who smoke shouldn't be smoking where people are preparing food.
Having stated my complaints, if you are a single traveler and enjoy socializing late into the night, and are comfortable with just minimal furnishings/ammenities, then I would definitely recommend this hostel. I think we were just hoping for more.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jenny_Lynn84
Reviewed January 14, 2009

Stayed with 7 in 1 room for a football match in November. Room was quite big, with plenty of locker sapce. Clean enough, and decent to get your head down when you have ahd a few beers. 5 Minutes from Old Town Square, so a good location,. Given a towel on arrival, which was a boonus, and the free breakfast was adequate, but not really my thing. Best part of the whole stay was the HOT reception girl who greeted us when we arrived. Bathrooms did the job as well!

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled with friends
5  Thank ah1984
Reviewed December 17, 2008

i've been, with a friend, in this hostel 3 nights in october and i found it really good. The location is great, only 5 minutes walk from the old city square, and it was very clean,warm and confortable. Even bathrooms were very clean, and on my floor there were 4 of them,so it never happened that i found it not free.

The only thing that bothered was the room's door that was a bit squeaky, so everytime someone entered or exited the room i woke up.

overall, a nice place to stay on a budget, also because of the common areas, that included kitchen, free internet room with 4 pcs, public phones and free breakfast

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled with friends
5  Thank firestart80
Reviewed November 13, 2008

Old Prague Hostel has a great location and the staff was very friendly. The rooms are a little old, with gross looking mattresses. We slept in our sleeping bags (too afraid to get under the covers). Our biggest issue was the first floor smoking room. The first floor is constantly like a thick cloud of smoke and if you went down to teh community room, where the computer is, then you are bound to reek of smoke the rest of the day.
The price is good, if you're looking for somethign cheap with low expectations.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
6  Thank LTSimDoh
Reviewed August 20, 2008

My stay there was reasonably good compared with the price. However, I booked five nights via hostel.com and the confirmation said I would pay by euros. However, the staff insisted that I need to pay by Kcs (i.e. czech dollars). He said that rate was 26.6 but we get change everywhere, including the airport, the rate was not higher than 23. Be careful, not to be tricked.
The electricity shut the second last night, and all lights in my room glown out. He promised us to fix it the following day, unluckily, he didn't. We were only given a small standing lamp for the twin bed room

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with friends
5  Thank misschanchanchanchan
Reviewed July 27, 2008

The Old Prague Hostel was reasonably priced, centrally located to tourist attractions, very friendly, clean, had free internet and included breakfast. I had my own double so I didn't have to deal with noisy roommates

8  Thank kriscat