“Centrally Located, Great Value, Cozy”

Small Luxury Palace Residence
Ranked #373 of 651 Hotels in Prague
CA
“Centrally Located, Great Value, Cozy”
Reviewed November 7, 2012

We are budget travelers, Palace Road Hotel (or formerly Castle Steps) offers reasonable rates in this relatively expensive city. Be aware that the lowest price offer refers to another building, and none of which was photographed in the web site. In fact some rooms do not even have a bathroom. We had the cheapest room in the hotel, the one on the top floor, a few steps below the eating area. The room is decently decorated and very quiet. For the price I paid, I am not complaining. I did wish that the bathroom was en suite, we had to bump into morning breakfast crowd to get to the bathroom. The hotel location is awesome, right below the Prague castle and minutes walk to the bus line. The staff was very helpful, even helped us to lift our luggage to the top most floor.

A few practical details:
1) Ask if your room comes with an en suite bathroom.
2) I recommend purchasing Prague daily pass because the bus / tram line does get expensive.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank rcmessier73

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Reviewed October 21, 2012

Stayed here for 4 nights with my auntie and was pleasantly surprised. Before we arrived I needed to change a couple of details, emailing the hotel I got responses within minutes to the number of questions I asked. On arrival we booked a taxi from the hotel, English speaking and waiting for us at the airport :) once at the hotel we were told we had been allocated the 2 bed apartment as we had requested a twin room. This apartment was wonderful allowing us to have plenty of space. Clean and lots of lovely soft towels we had a very enjoyable stay. Nicholas on reception is very helpful and friendly! Great asset to the hotel. Only small areas stop this hotel from being perfect.. The hill it's located on can be a bit tiring after a long day but its definitely not overly steep as some suggest and it's not that far from anywhere. No more than 30-35 minutes to the main tourist areas although many are closer within 10-15 mins. A wonderful base from which to explore Prague! I want to go back already!!!!

• Stayed October 2012
3 Thank Jeninikolic
xoangelxoabbs
Reviewed October 2, 2012

I stayed here for 3 nights in September. We had the room with the jacuzzi tub, which was amazing! I have to admit I was a little scared walking up to our room at night in the dark for the first time... I literally felt like I was staying in an old castle! The location is very good and the staff was helpful in accommodating our late flight departure of 7 pm. I would definitely stay here again if in Prague.

Room Tip: Get the room with the jacuzzi tub!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Cupcake985
Europe
Reviewed September 29, 2012

As I am writing this review, I should be at Palace Road Hotel. Unfortunately, I'm not. The company uses the pictures, name and star rating of Palace Road to sell rooms also for another hotel they have.

To make the long story short: you may expect to have a room in a four stars hotel, but actually be given one in a low quality hostel. That happened to me.

The long story is the following:

I arrived in the morning at Palace Road Hotel. The guy at the reception desk apologized that was an error in their reservation system and they are overbooked, but they will transfer me to a nearby hotel (50 - 100 m from Palace Road).

I could not help noticing the "client orientation" of this guy when he didn't offered to help with my luggage, that I had to carry up the hill.

Arriving at the new hotel I was told that the room was not ready (I didn't expect it to be as it was 10AM) so I left my luggage and went to visit the city. (I've noticed that the reception looked poor, but, as I was promised the same quality of the room, I didn't say anything. Huge mistake!!!)

Coming back at the hotel in the evening and seeing the room that would hardly qualify for a 2* hotel I decided to go back to Palace Road and ask for what I signed up for. Surprise: there was nobody there!!!

Consequently, I called them. And now they had another version, different form the one in the morning: that this was what I booked as the hotel has different quality rooms in different buildings. It seemed right to them that on my reservation writes "Palace Road" and on the door of the hostel where I was supposed to stay writes "Little Quarter Hostel".

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank Mishaellla
Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed July 24, 2012

I visited Prague with my wife and we wanted to book a hotel closer to the castle. We did not regret about our choice. It is located 10-15 min by the Castle's entrance and 20-25 min by Charles's bridge.Unfortunately I do not remember the room number but it is located at the 2nd building (not the main) at the top of the hill where is more romantic and very quiet. The main building (where the breakfast is served) looked more modern.

The personnel is very helpful. They arranged a taxi for us to wait at the airport and bring us to the hotel for a reasonable price. The same on our departure day. In general they help you whatever you ask.

The apartment was very clean and they were cleaning every day. We had a huge leaving room with 2 extra beds and sofas, one separate romantic bedroom and a private bathroom with shower (no bathtub). It was located to the top of the building so we had to walk around 80-100 wooden stairs (there is no elevator). Lot of exercise , right?

Regarding the room facilities, I believe it is kind of poor (no bathtub, no AC, no modern TV or other luxurious stuff that you can find in modern hotels. But for us this was not a disadvantage because the room was very cozy and romantic. We did not go to Prague for this. We also had a private bathroom so make sure to ask if you have a shared one.

Some tips:
*** Please keep in my mind that when we visited the hotel on May 2011 they were renovating it so many rooms might have changed now.

*** The hotel has two buildings so do not forget to ask in which one you are located. One is located bit closer to the center and the other one is on the same street but on the top of the hill.The distance is about 500m or 8min walk. Definitely I would not recommend to those with mobility problems to book a room in the top of the hill. But for the others i think its a perfect idea because its very quiet and it has a nice view. However we were too lazy to walk every day this distance to have breakfast.. it was kind of annoying..

I would recommend this hotel to the people that want to have something romantic, traditional and authentic in Prague instead of a new modern hotel room like in every city around the world.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Efthymios K
Reviewed April 21, 2012

We enjoyed a fair time at Palace Road hotel since March 23rd. It is very well located, about 300 meters from the Saint Nicholas square and at reach of Praga Castle. The staff can arrange for you the transfer service from and to the airport. The room was clean, and fills with premium bath amenities. But…

A huge problem: prior to our arrival (booked months ago), the hotel suffered a great damage at their gas pipe. When we arrived on Friday, we saw a big hole at the street in front of the hotel and people working; the staff said to us that they are having a problem with the hot water and will be solved quickly. It did not happened, so we only have cold water at the shower.

I can understand that the problem was out of their control when it happened, but my concern was that if they told us the problem with anticipation, we could arrange another accommodation or accept the fact and maintain our decision.

When the problem resulted unsolved, was late to book another hotel on the same fare and location. We received, after negotiating, a 20% discount.
All right, but I do not like lies and lack of information; these kind of attitude is not acceptable.

Praga has a various accommodation offer, you can choose another one.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Comando23
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed April 16, 2012

Location was excellent, staff were so lovely and helpful. It was a little bit noisy. Situated in an old building which could be classed as "charming", don't expect a huge modern hotel!

Room Tip: Ask for a room not on the ground floor, as you hear everyone coming in at night.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple