“An Amazing Surprise”

Ranked #21 of 649 Hotels in Prague
Florence, Kentucky
“An Amazing Surprise”
Reviewed August 22, 2013

Hotel General is truly an intimate place with Ibrahim, Vicki, Dascha and the entire staff making you feel you are being welcomed into their home. You are their house guest, and they aim to please. I found the entire hotel in sharp contrast to some of "the better" hotels I've stayed at in western European cities, and I believe this reflects the new spirit of Prague to attract people from all over the world.

The food is excellent and the staff is on hand late at night should your biological clock be off from traveling and time zone differences. "If you need anything..." There is a variety in their food and drink choices, reflecting the truly lucky international clients who have discovered this gem.

I cannot stress enough how clean everything is, from the linens to the floors to the windows (double paned). I don't think you can find this in the city's center, and certainly not the peace and quiet found at Hotel General.

Before communism left, I found Praha cold, bland, and somewhat void of choices such as (any) French wine. I stayed in hotels between 3 and 5 days during an 8 year period before 1989. After that, I preferred Amsterdam and Paris to Praha and Bucharest because I feared corruption by both the population and police. Wow, was I wrong! This year I returned to discover this gem of a hotel within easy tram ride of the new and vibrant downtown Prague.

I have some suggestions. With so few rooms, make your reservations as far out in the future as possible, especially during high tourist times. Try a winter holiday there! The air conditioning worked well and noise from the street was never an issue, so don't fret if your room faces the street unless you're there when your window will be open. Leave your coffee/tea, sugar, cup and heating element home: they make sure you have your morning drink available in your room. Again, their attention to detail is unsurpassed.

I generally have a list of negatives in my hotel reviews, such as the temperature of the mini-refrigerator or the wall temperature. I tried my best, but like so many others, I could not find one negative. Even the cost is well worth it! So when in Prague, think of the generals throughout history, and visit their room. Raise a glass of Pilsner Urquell draft, and enjoy!

Room Tip: Book well ahead of time as there are only 20 rooms.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank Cibors
RingaileR, Director of Sales at Hotel General, responded to this review, August 29, 2013
Dear Cibors,

On the behalf of the hotel General team I would like to thank you for choosing our hotel and sharing your experience and recommendations to the other travelers.
Your review is very important to us as it reflects the results of our team work, therefore we are very grateful and happy to see that we were not only able to meet you expectations but also manager to exceed them and you have enjoyed your stay with us.
We thank you for your stay and review and truly hope that you will visit us again on your next trip to Prague.

With warm regards from Vicky, Dasha, Ibrahim and the rest of the General team
Ringaile Radojevic

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (228)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Bratislava
Reviewed August 22, 2013

We were probably the first guests from Czech or Slovak Republic - after a long time. The staff were extremely helpful, friendly throughout and put personal approach into their work.
This hotel is easily reached by walking from the city, it takes about half an hour by foot (by Underground (two or three stops) / tram it takes not more than 10 minutes) and it´s near shoping street /or Andel Uground station. You can order breakfast in the room ahead, if you complete the order form to 6am.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank DusanBratislava
RingaileR, Director of Sales at Hotel General, responded to this review, August 28, 2013
Dear DusanBratislava,

On the behalf of the hotel General team I would like to thank you for choosing our hotel and for sharing your experience with the other travelers.
It gives us a great joy to know that we were able to meet your expectations and you have truly enjoyed your stay with us.

With warm regards from Prague
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed August 20, 2013 via mobile

When I first got to the hotel, I thought I might be too far out. But Dascha at reception briefed me, with a late and a smile and I was off in five minutes. As for the hotel being too far away - nonsense. Once you figure out the trams and transport system (which is excellent and easy to navigate), it is a stone's throw from all the key sites, Petrin Hill, Child of Prague, etc. The rooms are super clean and the staff are polite and helpful to a fault. The restaurant is great and the service quick and efficient. It is mid range in cost, but upper range in delivery. I am going to Berlin tomorrow and will greatly miss a hotel that does not cost that much, but punches well above its weight.

Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank cymolo
RingaileR, Director of Sales at Hotel General, responded to this review, August 27, 2013
Dear cymolo,

On the behalf of the hotel General team I would like to thank you for choosing our hotel and for sharing your impressions with the other TripAdvisors travelers.
We thank you for your review and look forward for your next trip to Prague.

Sincerely
Godalming
Reviewed August 20, 2013

This was my second trip to Prague. During my first visit, I stayed at a modern large hotel. Following retirement, I wanted a smaller intimate hotel, which would provide a more personal service.

I was not in any way disappointed with the outstanding service provided at this boutique hotel.On arrival, I was met at Reception by Vicky ,where I provided the usual personal details of passport , cretit card etc, for my four night stay. I explained that my first visit to Prague was on a company annual conference and therefore there had been little time to see much of Prague.

I was offered a glass of champagne or other choice of drink , which was a very nice gesture.Vicky then proceeded to provide extensive details of the Prague transport system in relation to the hotel's location and the best ways to travel fro A to B. Advice on the use of taxis and other essential things to make ones stay better was also provided. I have never encountered before such a welcome on arrival in any other country.

Vicky and Dasha on the Front Desk were helpful, knowledgeable and charming..

This very friendly attitude does not stop at Reception. The staff in the Restaurant at breakfast, lunch and dinner ,were friendly ,very polite and eager to please at any hour. An example of this , was their willingness to keep the restaurant open beyond 11pm ,in the event that a guest was going to be late.

The quality of the food is also excellent and not expensive , when compared with other 5 star hotels in Europe.

The hotel is small , with some 20 bedrooms. The rooms are very comfortable, clean and decorated to a high standard.

I will certainly use this hotel again on my next visit to Prague. Whilst the hotel is not in the city centre, this I believe is not a real negative, as the nearest Metro is only a six minute walk , and 2 stops from the heart of the city.

In summary ,for anyone wanting a small hotel , with exceptionally friendly staff( who are a credit to the hotel) then this hotel is for you

Room Tip: My room ( Alexander the Great) was on the fourth floor and loked onto the road. The room is well ins...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank William B
Dear William B,

On the behalf of the hotel General team I would like to thank you for choosing our hotel and for posting such detailed and informative review.
You review is very important to us not only as a guide for a possible further improvement but also as a reflection of a quality of our teams work. Therefore such kind and welcoming words are truly a wonderful reward for our team for their hard work.
We thank you for your kind words once more and hope to welcome you back at the General on your next trip to Prague.

With warm regards from Vicky, Dasha and all that were unmentioned.
Warrington, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 20, 2013

We were lucky to receive a good discount for a standard double room at the hotel for 5 nights. The service was excellent throughout, as soon as we arrived we were greeted and given detailed information by Martin at reception. I think he could see that we were young travellers and therefore told us about the best areas to visit and what to avoid.

Our room was brilliant and our general was Ferdinand von Zeppelin! As you can imagine it was spotless, and the maids did an excellent job throughout the week, ensuring that the room was always fresh. On the first night we ordered room service with an old menu. When the waiter, Ibrahim, realised it was an older menu he ensured that we paid the lower rate and the food was excellent! We tried to take in Prague in the evenings but we did manage to dine in the Hotel one evening. The food was brilliant, as was the service. At no point could we fault the service of the team, they were friendly throughout and put personal touches into their work.

Overall, we couldn't recommend the hotel enough, every aspect of our stay exceeded expectation, 10/10!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank 997Francesca
Dear 997Francesca,

On the behalf of the hotel General team I would like to thank you for choosing our hotel and for posting your review on TripAdvisor.
It gives us a great joy to know that we were able not even meet, but also exceed your expectations towards the hotel and its services and you had a really memorable stay.
We thank you for your kind words and hope that you will visit us again whenever your travel plans will bring you to the lovely city of Prague.

With warm regards from the General team
Chicago, IL
Reviewed August 20, 2013 via mobile

Lovely little hotel, walking distance from Old Town and New Town. The service was impeccable. The woman that checked us in sat down with us and reviewed the map/sites to visit, etc. as we sipped a glass of bubbly (complimentary). The rooms were great and a couple of nights housekeeping scattered rosebuds on our bed! Breakfast in the little restaurant was very good with a cold buffet and warm items we could order off the menu. The waiters there were delightful and accommodating. I really can't say enough good things about this hotel. There were 8 of us traveling together and we all felt so well taken care of!

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank fernhil1
Dear fernhil1,

On the behalf of the hotel General I would like to thank you and your friends for choosing our hotel for your stay in Prague and for sharing your experience with the others.
It gives us a great joy to know that you have enjoyed your stay with us to the fullest.
we thank you for your kind words and invite you to visit us again on your next trip to Prague.

with warm regards
Ringaile Radojevic & hotel General team
Villa Park, Illinois
Reviewed August 19, 2013

The Hotel General was great!
They give you a welcoming drink and the entire staff is very friendly at this boutique hotel.
The rooms are all different and unique.
The breakfast was incredible with a great staff that really made you feel welcome. The food was great-do not miss their pancakes -crepes.
We received great advice and everyone was helpful.
It is off the main area and made for a peaceful feeling.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Patty E
RingaileR, Director of Sales at Hotel General, responded to this review, August 23, 2013
Dear Patty E,

It gives us a great joy to know that we were able to meet you expectations and you have enjoyed your stay with us to the fullest.
We thank you for your review and hope to welcome you back at the General whenever your travels with bring you to the lovely city of Prague.

With warm regards