“Top Notch Service, Nice but Somewhat Awkward Rooms” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel General

Hotel General
Ranked #24 of 670 Hotels in Prague
New York City, New York
“Top Notch Service, Nice but Somewhat Awkward Rooms”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2013

I cannot stress this enough. You will feel like royalty here. They've got the service of taking care of their guests nailed. Drink while you check in? Check. Personalized introduction, summary of both the hotel and the city? Check. From check-in to check-out we were always impressed. I doubt the level of service is matched in any of the other 5 star hotels in Prague. It was that good. Total professionalism on the part of the entire staff from doorman, to desk help, to housekeeping.

That said, this place has a couple things going against it. First, its about a 1.5 mile walk to Old Town. This wasn't really a problem for us because we're young and fit, plus the weather cooperated, but I could see it being a problem in the winter or when its raining. On the other hand, the walk to and from Old Town is really beautiful and you'll discover a lot of things that you'll want to follow up on later. Second, makeup mirror in the bathroom was mounted way to high for the average woman. There were probably a half-a-dozen small details like this that were just plane swing-and-misses (no shower curtain for instance but instead a half wall that swings made of glass, etc.). Third, the tram/bus station, located conveniently about a 4 minute walk away, is a little creepy. Fourth, there's a weird, foul smell on the street about a block away. Finally, there's nobody around for a few blocks when you're walking home late at night, which creeped out my fiance. This was made worse by the fact that they lock the front door after midnight and you're left waiting for the doorman to open it after you press the buzzer (only took about 15 seconds, but still it was a little traumatizing).

Overall, I don't think that we would stay here again because of the location, but I would still recommend it if you're looking for a tremendous value.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Jpgrace
RingaileR, Director of Sales at Hotel General, responded to this review, August 13, 2013
Dear Jpgrace,

On the behalf of the hotel General team I would like to thank you for choosing our hotel and for posting your review on TripAdvisor.

Your opinion is very important to us as a source of possible further improvement therefore any comments from your side are highly appreciated and will be handled by the persons in response.

Considering your given information and comments I would also like to give some extra information from hotels side.
- location - may I assure you that the precise location and distances from/to the main attractions are always clearly stated not only on the hotels official website but by other travelers on TripAdvisor as well.
- bus/tram stop - unfortunately our hotel cannot influence the appearance of the bus/tram stops in the vicinity, but all 3-4 stops that are near the hotel (Andels station) are consistently maintained and in a good condition.
- safety in the vicinity - I can also assure you that despise of lack of people during the night, the surroundings of the hotel are really safe for walking.
- smell in the vicinity - unfortunately cannot be influenced by the hotel as it comes from the Staropramen brewery when the maintenance works are being done.
- the information regarding the mirrors in the bathroom - was handled to the person in response for the implementations and the actions should be taken accordingly.

Summarizing all given above I would like to thank you for your comments once more and invite you to visit us once more.

With warm regards from the General
Ringaile Radojevic

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (225)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Fleet, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2013

You know when a hotel's got its priorities right when you are offered a drink as you check in! Whilst we settled into comfy chairs and filled forms in reception, staff parked the car and got our luggage transferred to rooms. The welcome included one of the best orientation briefings I have ever had: concise, accurate and exactly what was needed to get the most out of our three days in Prague.

Efficient, friendly staff made this stay really wonderful. The rooms are beautiful, cool, clean and add to the calm atmosphere. Breakfast is good: plentiful, fresh and varied. And the little cellar bar is a great place to chill out.

Prague old town centre is about a 20 minute walk away, but trams and underground are very convenient. And being slightly out of the centre makes for a restful nights sleep. The Hotel's secret weapon is the Staropramen Brewery, located 200m away, with the most wonderful Bistro and fresh Prague Beer.

Prague: ancient and fascinating. With castles, ancient bridges, palaces, cathedrals, medieval town clocks, Jewish quarter and mini Eiffel Tower it is a 'Bucket List City'. Just make sure you book into Hotel General when you go.

Room Tip: Each room is themed with a general from history. So choose your favourite: they have everyone from A...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Mark_Ramble
RingaileR, Director of Sales at Hotel General, responded to this review, August 7, 2013
Dear Mark_Ramble,

On the behalf of the hotel General team I would like to thank you for choosing our hotel for your stay in Prague and for posting such positive review on TripAdvisor.
It gives us a great pleasure to know that we were able to meet all your expectations towards the quality of the services and you have enjoyed your stay to the fullest.
We thank you for your kind words and hope to welcome you back at the General soon.

With warm regards from Prague,
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2013

A lovely friendly hotel located within easy reach of all transport links to the city centre. The rooms were beautiful, the breakfast was excellent but most of all the staff were quite simply the friendliest, most helpful personnel we have ever met in all the hotels we've ever stayed in. Prague was a beautiful city made perfect by our lovely stay at the Hotel General. Have already recommended this hotel to our family and friends.

Room Tip: The highest floor does involve a sloping roof aspect.
1 Thank gerry b
Dear gerry b,

On the behalf of the hotel General team I would like to thank you for choosing our hotel and for posting your review. Your kind words and recommendation to the others are the best reward for our teams job and we thank you for that.

With best regards
West Wales
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for three nights on a B+B basis. I had arranged for the hotel car to collect us from the airport but unfortunately our BA flight from Heathrow was cancelled. The hotel reception staff had noticed this and immediately e-mailed me for further instructions regarding the re-scheduling of our collection. It was obvious from this point that the hotel staff were concerned about us before our arrival even! We were collected from the airport and were warmly welcomed at the hotel with free drinks and a full detailed presentation by the pleasant receptionist Vicky Rustamova. She explained to us in detail places to visit, suggested places to eat and advised us on best methods of transportation and provided us with maps and information pamphlets. We stayed in a deluxe double room that was comfortable and adequate and very clean and had free WiFi. The breakfast was delicious with adequate choices of drinks and food.
Although the hotel is not located near the main attractions there is ample public transport within a five minute walk. The 72 hour transport ticket is good value for money and can be purchased in ticket office near the bus station thats just less than 10 min walk form the hotel. We found trams 14, 12 and 20 were able to get us within reach of most of the tourist attractions.
The warm welcome and general quality of the hotel service more than makes up for its location.
My wife and I would like to thank all the staff at the hotel and the car drivers for making our stay a memorable one.

Room Tip: Our room was at the front of the hotel facing the road but there was not much traffic noise to be he...
1 Thank NigelVaughan
Dear NigelVaughan,

It gives us a great joy to know that despise the flight delay all your stay went smoothly and you have enjoyed your stay at the General and would not hesitate to share your experience with the others.
We thank you for your kind words and hope to welcome you back in the future.

With warm regards from Prague.
Isle of Man, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2013

Beautiful boutique hotel, room fabulously furnished. Very friendly and knowledgeable staff. The cellar bar is very cozy and a great place to have a game of cards with friends. Great selection for breakfast. Would definitely recommend to family and friends

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Eileen1992
Dear Eileen1992,

On the behalf of the hotel General team I would like to thank you for staying with us and for sharing your experience with other TripAdvisor travelers.

Hotel General team and Ringaile Radojevic
Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2013

We visited this hotel from July 28-Aug 1 (Still visiting as I write this).. Thoughts on the place:

Front desk / Welcome - The staff at the front desk are incredible. Vicky in particular was the best.. She made us feel very welcome and answered every question with a smile. Never felt like we were bothering her. Felt right at home..

Room - Good size with beautiful decor.. Bed is comfortable. Not too firm or soft.. Pretty good pillows. Room has a safe which is nice. Bathroom is beautiful and very functional. Were were in Room 302 and it was also pretty quiet.

Location - A little off the beaten path which means either have to walk a little or take the tram (which is easy). But this is the only way to avoid the crowds and noise, so the walks were well worth it. Plus you get to see a little more of the city...

Food - Breakfast was included in the rate.. Wow was it good. All kinds of stuff for us to eat with lots of cold choices on the buffet plus a few hot ones which were tasty.. Plus you get to order a hot entree for breakfast which is nice.. We had dinner at the hotel one night while it poured outside. The dinner was spectacular.. Great food at a decent price.. The chef did a great job.. Also, my wife is gluten and dairy intolerant, and the staff went out of their way to take care of her needs, even buying special products for her along with making special meals to accommodate her. Seriously awesome job by the staff.

Service - Outstanding. Again, can't say enough positive things about Vicky.. Our waiter for dinner and several breakfasts was Ibrahim. He was an intelligent engaging gentleman who made our dinner wonderful.. Plus he speaks 4 languages which is really cool...

Overall - We look forward to staying here again on our last day in Europe.. And will definitely stay here again when we return to the beautiful city of Pregue... This hotel has set the bar for the rest of our trip to Europe. Good luck to the rest of the hotels at which we will be staying; the Hotel General has set a high bar.

2 Thank CroatiaSoon
Dear huricnz,

On the behalf of the hotel General team I would like to thank you for choosing our hotel and for posting such detailed review that covers all aspects of our hotel: rooms, location, catering and overall level of service and our staff.
It gives us a great joy to see that we were able to meet your expectations and you not only enjoyed your stay with us but also look forward for the next stay.
We thank you for your kind words and look forward to welcoming you back at the General.

With warmest regards from Prague and the General
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2013

I found this hotel in my standard way - by checking out what Trip Advisor had to say. Let me tell you, they get it right here. Hotel General is a wonderful hotel that ticks all the boxes. As always, I shall summarise.

Service: The service in this hotel was absolutely wonderful. From the moment I was picked up from the airport to the moment I was dropped back off, it was superb. There was nothing too small or too irksome for the staff and I felt like a guest in their home rather than just another hotel client.

Value: I guess this was okay for the type of hotel but for a hotel not right in the centre of town, I honestly found it a little bit pricey. Still, it included breakfast and the rooms were quite nice. I just thought €149 per night a little high for Prague 5.

Sleep Quality: The bed was firm but comfortable and the room was air-conditioned which was a Godsend because the weekend I was there it was 40C.

Cleanliness: Impeccable. Never an issue.

Location: Good and bad. Good because it is away from the throng and is in a quiet place in Prague but bad because it is a good half an hour to walk to the Old Town. There is a tram, however, that gets you there from a stop only a block or so away. You can get the 14 into Wenceslas Square or the 12 and the 20 which both take you to the Charles Bridge. The surrounding area is not exactly top notch - I would not recommend walking around alone at night - but in general, it is okay location wise. I would probably not stay here in the winter and walking back to the hotel when I wasn't aware of the tram was utter hell in 40C heat.

Rooms: There is a safe in the room, a television, a minibar and free Wifi. The bathroom is gorgeous and the shower has three different showerheads - one standard, one overhead "rain" effect and four small showerheads that give you an all over bodywash and massage. It was lovely. The room is very comfortable and ideal for chilling out after a hard day's sightseeing ;)

Other points: Breakfast was included in the room rate, which was great. Breakfast hours are stated as 7-11 but both mornings I was there between 9 and 9:30 and supplies had dwindled and had been there for awhile so that the eggs, for example, had dried out a little and the croissants were starting to lose their soft freshness.

Wifi is free throughout the hotel and works well enough, although I had a slightly weaker signal in the room than outside of it.

Overall, this was a pleasant stay. I would return, but not in the winter when I would want to be close to the Christmas markets or my hotel in the Old Town so I could make a hasty trip back. 4 stars from me.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Krinkles28
Dear Krinkles28,

On the behalf of the hotel team I would like to thank you for choosing hotel General and sharing your impressions on TripAdvisor.

We do appreciate the time that you have spend with us and writing this detailed and informative review on our hotel staff and services. Your comments are very important for us as a source of possible further improvement therefore let me assure you that your comments and recommendations were given to the person in response so that they could be considered for the possible implementation.

We would like to thank you for your stay and review and invite you to visit us again.

With warm regards from Prague and the General team