“Great little hotel”
Review of Hotel Ostruvek

Hotel Ostruvek
Ranked #395 of 646 Hotels in Prague
Reviewed March 14, 2012

Since we were on budget, we had two options: either to stay at a hostel near the touristic spots or at a two/three-star hotel a bit away from the centre. We were glad that we chose the latter. The hotel was really good value for its price, which was actually about the same at some popular downtown hostels. The room was spacious, well-equipped with a TV and a fridge and generally in a decent condition. The bathroom was recently refurbished, so it looked clean and modern. The bed was quite comfortable, although I found their pillows to be a little unusual (one was big and flat, while the other was more like a tiny cushion) and the duvet smaller than the regular size. They had free wi-fi Internet, but unfortunately, the signal was annoyingly weak in our room. Apart from that, I was very impressed with their free breakfasts, which had a good variety of breads with some fruits and salad, cereals, eggs and sausages. One morning they served something made from liver, which was just tender and delicious. We didn't have other meals at their restaurant, but from the menu, the food price was very affordable. The hotel staff were friendly and spoke English well. They also put the tram routes and time tables on the board at the reception. The area around had nothing much to see, but there were several inexpensive local restaurants, supermarkets and bakeries. One cafe we went in called 'Baretta' had the best apple strudel. The street seemed safe, even at night. The closest tram stop was 3 minutes away on foot. Trams no.24 to Wenceslas Square took 15 minutes (7 stops), while others might have taken shorter time. If you don't mind about that, this hotel is a good bargain.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank realessence

Reviewed March 8, 2012

Room is spacious, clean, equiped with TV, safe, refrigerator. Bathroom is also very clean, quite spacious. Service is very nice. Breakfasts are fantastic, very tasty and big. Localisation is good. 15 minutes to the Charles' Bridge by tram. Near the hotel there are some restaurants. If I will be in Prague next time I get this again. :)

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Reviewed January 9, 2012

Good price for the room, the breakfast is buffet and is include, the rooms are clean. Is 10 minutes from the city center by bus. there's a good restaurant crossing the street.

Room Tip: You can buy a all day ticket for public transport in 110k (4 euros), and visit all the attractions i...
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Mikael S
Reviewed December 28, 2011

The hotel is located close to the center, about 20 min walk to Wenceslas Square and 30 min walk to Main Market Square (Starometske Namesti) or just 4 stops by tram. The hotel is newly refurbished, spacious rooms, very clean, good breakfast, private parking. Totyally recommend it for a city break.
The hotel is located near a railway, which in summer, with windows open, might be loud beacause there is no AC. In winter, with windows closed, there was no problem. Or ask for a room NOT facing the railway.

Room Tip: Ask for a room not facing the railway
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 23, 2011

Second time I have stayed here. I like the quietness in the hotel itself, the trains don't bother me I just tune them out. Comfortable rooms, decent continental breakfast (coffee you can stand a spoon in!). Good, helpful English speaking staff but do not expect big cheesy smiles (they do 12 hour stints). A good allround base with its multi tram line stop at Otakarova a 100 yards away enabling access to all of Prague. What its like in high season I couldn't say as I avoid touristy places like the plague when everywhere is heaving with bodies.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed October 29, 2011

Nice and clean hotel. Conveniently located near next to the tram stops (number 18 and 24). You can reach the historical center in less than ten minutes. By European standards rooms are quite spacious with a large bathroom. About the size of the two rooms in a London hotel of the same class.
The room has refrigerator, safe, tv, free wi-fi. The bathroom has hair dryer and the dryer for towels.
The hotel staff is really friendly, polite and willing to help. All staff speak English, many can understand German and Russian.
Every day for buffet breakfast are served new hot meals: sausages, scrambled eggs, bacon, hot toasts with various additives. And of course cold snacks, cereals, yogurt, various pastries.
Dinner in the hotel restaurant is delicious and inexpensive.

The only problem encountered during our stay there was a strange bathtub design because of which the water flowed on the floor a little. But it was resolved in five minutes. The staff immediately provided us with towels which was spread out on the floor near the tub and replaced every day.

We really enjoyed the stay here and most probably return to this hotel next time we visited Prague.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank sky_777
Reviewed October 29, 2011

We stayed here last October, for three nights. We had decided from the airport we were going to use their public transport instead of paying for a taxi as a friend told us it was easy and cheap, so we thought we would try it. Can I say it was, their transport system is fantastic easy to use. To be honest I can’t remember exactly what we did, all I remember is getting the bus from the airport, then underground and then tram to our hotel. However, we did struggle to find our hotel, as it is well hidden up a street, like an alley way.

Once we checked it, very easy and quick, our room was on the first floor but really when you are going to Prague it really is for a sight seeing holiday. So, the room was perfect clean and tidy, very big and I would say the decor was modern. No fussed as we would never really be in the hotel.

The staff were nice and friendly, I think the staff in bar and restaurant English wasn't the greatest but that didn't bother us. The breakfast was alright mixture of bacon, egg, cereals etc. I don't bother with breakfast, I ate mostly toast and cheese suits me. However, we did have dinner in the hotel, my partner and I loved our dinner and great value for money.

I am not sure about the area the hotel, we did get lost one night as we missed a particular tram as it only ran till 7pm, and we did start to panic but eventually we found our way back to our hotel with the help from a Chinese restaurant. I would be careful and check for times of trams, area that your hotel is in. The transport system is great, easy to use and only 10-15 mins away from the main attractions. We did not stay out late in the main area because of the tram times, so normally we would back in our hotel about 7 or 8, which was fine as we had been out since 9am. The area can be quiet not much around but across the road we found a local pub, we were the only UK folk in their but they were nice and friendly enough.

The main attractions were good, depending what you interested in, we enjoyed the communist museum. The square is great with different stalls, also recommend the guide on trip advisor, we read good suggests on this, we went to Mlejnice for something to eat, brilliant hard to find though well worth looking for, next to medieval shop, but the restaurant an be busy though, the staff can be a bit dour but just ignore that.

I did like Prague but I wouldn't go back but would recommend the Hotel. Seen it done it moving to the next trip.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple