“Drive on straight past this place”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Ariva Guesthouse

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Prague
Ariva Guesthouse
Ranked #278 of 370 Prague B&B and Inns
Perth
“Drive on straight past this place”
Reviewed July 29, 2008

My freind and I booked 2 rooms at the Ariva Guesthouse over the internet from Berlin. We had no idea about the demographics of Prague, but we needed a place to stay. We avrrived late, around 7pm after getting lost in the City. One of the owners greeted us on the stairs. He was the most solemn, unfreindly, unhelpful person I have ever met as the owner of a guesthouse. He insisted that we both pay for our room up front, which we did. He took our money, said to us "You are in room 3, and you are in room 6", and walked off up the stairs. That was the last we saw of any resemblance of staff working in the guesthouse. The rooms were disgustingly dirty. The mould and damp in the shower recess was so bad, I tried to find one of the owners to complain, bu they were nowhere to be seen, and did not respond to the doorbell. I had to clean it myself before I felt I could shower in it, it was that bad. The toilet was so dirty, I just refused to use it. The towels were the size of a handkerchief, and they smelled like they had not been washed for months. The beds were hard, and did not seem clean. there was a single sheet on the mattess, and a very ratty quilt as a covering. I would never recommend this place to my worst enemy as a place to stay. My advice, drive on straight past it.

Stayed July 2008
2 Thank tech10

Families
Lyon,France
Reviewed August 19, 2007

When we arrived at the Ariva Guest House they sent me to one of their annex properties two blocks away, which was Hostel Krasova 39. It looked very simple but clean so we decided to stay there. It turns out both of us which were in separate beds began to itch terribly and that lasted all night. We have gone to another hotel and are still itching. In addition, the shower was close to all rooms and the neighbors came in at 1am and were in the shower for over one hour. This was really a night from hell. There are so many hotels in Prague, this one should be avoided at all costs!!

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — Bed Bugs
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank creeber

Travelers are raving about these Prague hotels

New Mexico
Reviewed May 11, 2007

My partner and I stayed here after I made a mistake on the online reservation for another guesthouse (clicked on wrong month - oops), and the receptionist there found us a room at Ariva. The innkeeper seemed friendly enough, a Czech educated in Britain, who at check-in escorted us to the nearest ATM so we could withdraw and fork over the cash for the full amount of our four-night stay. It seemed weird but we complied, the guesthouse was attractive, had recently been beautifully renovated and we were eager to settle in and start exploring Prague.

Well, we never saw the innkeeper, or any other person on staff, again. We were aware of a couple of other guests clomping up and down the stairs at night, opening and closing doors, but the office was closed when we left in the morning, and closed after we got back in the evening. No chambermaid service, no clean towels, the bed unmade for the length of our stay. Apparently this dude only shows up to check people in and take their money. Someone must make up the rooms after people "check out" (there was nobody there to check out with), but not while they're staying there.

If you don't mind "camping out" in an attractive guesthouse for a couple of days, and have very low expectations for service (i.e., zero), then this place isn't so bad. Fortunately the attractions of Prague more than made up for our experience at this mismanaged inn.

• Liked — attractive, not a bad location
  • Disliked — they took our money and ran
  • Stayed November 2004, traveled as a couple
2 Thank toddabq
Salou
Reviewed May 3, 2007

My husband an I stayed at the Ariva Guesthouse from the 28th of April to the 2nd of May. We booked it by [---]
We found it nice and clean. It is not at the heart of the city but it is possible to reach it in 15 minutes walking.
What we didn´t like from the Guest House Ariva is that the owner asked us for more money than we agreed when we booked the room. We were told to pay 10800 cz and we finally paid 11300 cz (we did the chek-in at 8.30 p.m., so we didn´t have time to look for another hostel).
As a conclusion, I would like to say that, although we enjoyed our stay in Ariva Guesthouse, we didn´t find acceptable the behaviour of the owner.
Laura Nogueras (Salou, Spain)

• Liked — The house was pictoresque
  • Disliked — The owner made us pay more than the price we agreed
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank lanoal
USA
Reviewed April 27, 2007

I was surprised by the former review - becuase I had heard such good things - but my experience was rather poor as well. I only stayed one night because of scheduling issues but I was told I had a good room - and the bed was awful - and the place rather spartan. I also had an issue that allowed me to conclude the owner was moneyhungry as I had to leave a "deposit" with him of about 7 dollars to order a taxi. Also, there is no elevator so if youre on the top floor - it's a bit problematic. The place I thought was Not a value !!!! The owner would also not accept a credit card and politely yet sternly told me that full payment was due in cash upon arrival - a tell tale sign that something is not so good....I do not recommend this place - too much bologna - and you will be nickel and dimed.

• Liked — Neighborhood
  • Disliked — Price/Owner
  • Stayed April 2007
2 Thank AllAroundEurope
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed April 18, 2007

My boyfriend and I recently returned from a trip to Prague during the Easter weekend. We loved Prague but were extremely disappointed with the Ariva Guesthouse, and the word 'disappointment' is an understatement.
Long before we embarked on our trip, I had been in contact with the two men that run the guesthouse by email and had set up a reservation for April 7th-10th. I was well aware that the prices for a nights stay would be more expensive, due to the amount of people who come to Prague for the holiday, however, I was not planning to have to pay a significant amount more that the price agreed upon. I booked a double room with a shared bathroom, which was to be 5,700czk. I asked if I could give them my credit card number to make sure that the room would be held for us and they replied that the card was not needed, that we would simply pay in cash upon our arrival.
When we arrived, we began the check in and we were told that the price would be 9,000 czk- We we're taken back since I had an email stating the price of 5,700 czk that was agreed upon. They said that since we did not show up at 1:00 for check in they had given our room away and the room they saved for us had it's own bathroom, so the price was now 9,000czk. Plus they said that they tried to call us but since we didn't leave a cell phone number they couldn't get a hold of us- A cell phone number was never asked for in the reservation, nor did it ever say that one must be there to check in at exactly one o'clock- a check in time is simply stating the time that you make check in after, not before, and not on the exact hour.
We reluctantly paid- I had gotten upset and my boyfriend had tried to talk to them and we only handed over the money, after hearing from another couple checking in, that there was no other vacancies in the city available for the weekend. The room was small and not at all worth the price, especially since it is quite far from the center of the city (old town square), at least a 30 minute walk. Also for our 4 day stay, we received 2 very small hand towels each to shower with, never receiving clean ones. The dishes in the room were very dirty and the refrigerator had moldy food left in it which made the room smell very stale.

We enjoyed our trip, but the guesthouse experience did nothing but make us angry that these people are allowed to run a guesthouse. We have traveled all over the world and have never come across someone who was so eager to rip off their guests. The Ariva Guest house knows how to take the reservation, they just don not know how to hold the reservation, which happens to be the most important part of the reservation! This is simply to warn other travelers so this doesn't happen to them!

• Liked — I only saw one bug on the floor
  • Disliked — There is too many to list- The enormaous amount of money that we paid and could have stayed in a nice hotel!
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple