“Did something I've never seen before”

The ICON Hotel & Lounge
Ranked #46 of 649 Hotels in Prague
“Did something I've never seen before”
Reviewed September 30, 2012

I've left items at hotels by accident before. Coats or jackets, socks, electronics, sunglasses. I have a bad habit of doing it. I never get these items back. I've called the hotel once we're gone, they give me a lukewarm assurance they will ask the housekeeping staff, and nothing comes of it. I called the Icon several days after leaving to ask about a jacket and sweatshirt I left behind. Through skype and email, they not only found the items, they mailed them back to my house in the US. They did it with minimal pestering from me.
This is fantastic. I've never had a hotel staff honest enough to do this for me. Our stay there was very nice and the location was good for sightseeing around town. I'd recommend this place to anyone and I'd be happy to stay there again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Cjmacri

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Boston
Reviewed September 25, 2012

At first I wasn't going to write a review because I have nothing but good things to say about the icon hotel, and I would only be repeating what others have said. But another review made me change my mind. For some reason, other people report that the breakfast was just a buffet. That was not our experience. We stayed there four nights, and each morning we were asked if we wanted something off the menu. So the buffet was available, but so was the assortment of dishes on the menu. We had eggs, pancakes, and other items off the menu. Perhaps the issue is that some of the waitstaff in the restaurant didn't speak fluent English, so the first day, when we weren't familiar with the breakfast, we didn't realize we could order off the menu and their attempts to make that clear were a little bit stilted. The beds were the most comfortable that we slept in during our trip in Eastern Europe. the staff was friendly, the hotel was well located, and the room was spacious. Internet wifi was free. I have absolutely nothing negative to say about this hotel - it was perfect!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank jmisdraji
Europe
Reviewed September 10, 2012

We stayed here for almost an week and it was just average. Service was ok. Breakfast is advertised a 'a la carte', but here that means you can pick what you want from the buffet! Not quite what we expected. The staff nonetheless is friendly and helpfull.
The room was spacious, even with the baby-cot we requested. The mattress, which was stained, of the Hastens bed wasn't covered with a sheet, only the mattress protector. I think they're proud of their Hastens beds, but they should cover them as I don't want to see the stains of the guests that have slept there before...
The hotel is beautifully designed, especially the common areas, but the rooms are nice too. Prices of this hotel can be sky rocketing, but we paid a fair price for a 4 star property in Prague.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Arkenbout
ICONSales, Director of Sales at The ICON Hotel & Lounge, responded to this review, September 12, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your comment. We value your opinion and are happy that your overall experience in our hotel has been good.

Even though there is a point which we would like to address and explain to our future clients:

At The ICON Hotel & Lounge we are exclusively serving our breakfast from 07am to 11pm - we are the only hotel offering all day breakfast. This breakfast is a combination of set buffet (available from 07am to 1130am) and á la carte options (available 07am to 1100pm) which include hot meals and shall be requested from our breakfast staff in order to make sure everything is fresh and made according to guest's wish. All this service is complimentary - included in the room rate.

We are sorry if the guests do not take the opportunity to try our renowned pancakes or other meals which are clearly offered on the board next to the breakfast buffet as well as little table menus sticked in between the dents of each fork.

All our staff is always ready to help and answer any questions regarding the form or style of our breakfast.

Thank you also for mentioning the small mishap with the stained mattress, we have immediately attended this issue and made sure that the two, coin-size, stains from wine have been removed from the mattress in the room you have stayed in.

Best Regards...
Reviewed August 29, 2012

1) clean and nice room. perfect design
2) few steps and you are at square
3) excellent bed, nice bathroom. Shower gel+shampoo+body lotion+soap for free.
4) pleasant staff. Only thing I didn't like was I got watter for free but no opener at the room.
5) a bit high prize during the weekend. Next time I choose 5*hotel for the same money instead.
6) anyway I was happy here and I can recommend this hotel. 4/5

• Stayed August 2012
1 Thank michaelahr
Scotland
Reviewed August 24, 2012

We stayed for 3 nights and picked this hotel for the good reviews and the location, close to but not right on the main tourist areas.
From our email to book the transfer that the hotel offered, to keeping our bags for us on the day we left, we thought that all the guys at the hotel were lovely, friendly and polite. The transfer was good, slightly more expensive than some other companies offered but our driver was there waiting for us in arrivals and he chatted away giving us information about the city. We were so pleased with it that we booked for our return so we could maximise our last day. No dragging a bag about while trying to read a map!
When we were checking in we had been booked in to a room on the 4th floor but when the receptionist saw that my husband was tall, he changed it to a room on the 1st floor as the 4th floor room had sloped ceilings. Our room was great, clean, modern & had pretty much everything that we needed. The safe is biometric so you use a finger print to lock & unlock, for some reason it didn't work too great for my husband so we had to get the guys from the desk to unlock it for us so I guess it might happen to a lot of people. My finger worked fine so no problem after that! We also had an adjoining door which could be a problem if you were a light sleeper. The bed was a bit soft for me but my husband liked it so it's all down to preference.
We ate dinner in the restaurant twice and enjoyed our meals both times, The prices for food and drinks in the hotel are excellent,
The location of the hotel is great, take a left out the hotel then right at the bottom of the street will lead you along and into Wenceslas Square the carry on to Old Town Square. As the guy on reception says 10 minutes walk if you don't stop at bars or shops.
Prague is a beautiful city, we were struck by how well looked after the buildings were. The weather was great while we were there so we walked everywhere. Including up the steps to the Castle. A lot of steps but when you get up it's well worth it (or take the tram to save your legs). We walked through the garden area at the front which was lovely. The following day we went for an even higher viewpoint and went up to the observation tower on Petrin Hill. My top tip? Wait in the queue for the funicular! We walked it but there are various paths that meander around. Think we picked the wrong one, it's a steep walk then we managed to find some more steps to go up! Thankfully there was a lift in the tower. The views are amazing looking down on to the castle and cathedral then right down to Charles Bridge, over the whole city. Be warned though you can feel it move in the wind and it wasn't a windy day!
Old Town Square was lovely, great to just watch everybody milling about. If you want to enjoy your view with food and a drink just like most places the prices reflect that. The clock. Hm we waited at midday with everyone else, the clock chimed made some noises, the trumpeter trumpeted from the top of the tower and everyone cheered. Surely we must have missed something we thought. So we happened to be there again at 5pm so we stood, this time with a better view. Er, not really. The actual clock itself is very pretty, I think I just assumed it did more!
Anyway we loved Prague it is beautiful. We only had one incident of unfriendly service (that came with a 30Koruna service charge ironically) we just didn't have a drink there again. Have a drink in the hotel or if you want to try a lot of different Czech beer then try Jama over the road from the hotel. excellent value for money and good table service. I would recommend Prague and the Icon as a great place to stay.

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper ask for a room above the first floor, not facing the street and without a...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Scunneredbywork
San Diego, California
Reviewed August 19, 2012

We had a great stay at this hotel. It was a nice change from our normal tiny European rooms. This room was actually very large and had great internet connectivity, a safe, mini bar, and big closets. We were definitely impressed. They even have a DVD player and you can rent DVD's (for free) from the front desk which was great as there are really no tv channels in English. The beds are very comfortable as well.

As everyone says, the breakfast at any time was very nice as well with the jet lag.

My only complaint was our room was facing the street and one of the nights (Wednesday for some reason), there was blaring club music until about 2am. I just turned on my iphone White Noise though and it didn't bother us too much. For some reason it was not playing on Thursday night for whatever reason though so maybe it was just random and not every Wednesday night.

If you go to Prague, stay here, you will enjoy it!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
North West
Reviewed August 16, 2012

We stayed at the Icon Hotel in April for 5 days. The room was clean and modern with free WiFi (when connecting, there appeared to be an access point for every floor of the hotel; the signal strength was excellent). There was plenty of wardrobe/storage space in the room and a good sized bathroom. Our room was at the front of the hotel which was quite noisy with the window open, (the road outside the hotel is not busy but the roads at either end of it are and due to the high buildings the traffic noise reverberates down the road), this might be a bother for lighter sleepers. There was a good selection provided at breakfast and I particularly enjoyed the home made pancakes with creme fraiche. We loved the "all day breakfast" as it meant we could have a holiday lie-in and still not miss breakfast! The staff were friendly without being over the top and the general atmosphere seemed quite calm and relaxed. We thought the location of the hotel was good and were able to walk to all of the places we wanted to go, although the hotel is close to metro and tram stops.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple