“Fabulous”

Ranked #32 of 670 Hotels in Prague
Liverpool
“Fabulous”
Reviewed March 26, 2009

Fantastic hotel with all the modern amenities but with character. Beautiful building, large clean rooms with acombination of modern and classic furnishings. Gret location with everything in walking distance.Friendly helpful staff .Great breakfasts tosuit all tastes. Would definately return. Also great value for money.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank JoDo63

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (406)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Gloucestershire
Reviewed March 24, 2009

Just returned from 4 nights at the lovely Savic. It certainly justifies all the good reviews and its location is superb; two minutes to the Old Town Square and five to Charles Bridge. We didn't eat in the restaurant in the evenings as there are so many other good places to eat in Prague. The reception staff were very friendly and helpful and the courtesy sparkling wine or beer at check in is a very nice touch for a European hotel. The beds are very comfortable and the bathrooms are all marble with underfloor heating and good qualities toiletries. The in-room coffee maker is much nicer than the usual munchkin kettle and sachets of Nescafe. Breakfasts were good; a reasonable selection of hot or cold things and more sparkling wine if you wanted. We chose this hotel because of the previous reviews and we were not disappointed.

• Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Cat1Gloucestershire
Herts. UK
Reviewed March 22, 2009

Well, what can I say? I personally, have never stayed in such a fine hotel and every positive comment that others have already said about the Savic are true. The Receptionists - Viera, Jana and Anna - are fantastic (ahoj and diky moc...the same to Deepak and 'Mr Singh'....), the breakfast hosting is wonderful ( привет Lena...) the location is absolutely amazing, much better than some of the 5 star hotels as it is a maximum 2 minute walk to the Old Town Square / clock and not far at all to Charles Bridge or Wencelas Square - and this is from somebody who has had 4 knee ops in 1 year and can't walk that far - and the twin room we had (304) was excellent, it even had an area between the room and bathroom where the wardrobe and unit housing the mini bar, ice bucket, cups and glasses was, which increased the space in the room. And as for the chandelier above the beds woweeeee. (There is also double glazing which is like first class sound proofing - I could do with it in my home!)

Surprisingly, there is a free safe in the wardrobe, the mini bar is reasonable, the L’occitane toiletries are replaced as needed (you don’t need to take your own shower gel, shampoo, conditioner or body lotion), clean towels are provided every day and for those of you wishing to watch your weight, there is even a set of electronic scales which - unfortunately for us - seemed to be very accurate! (Too much hot chocolate with whipped cream!)

The 2 of us travelled to Prague for the first time to celebrate our birthdays. We stayed 5 nights between 10-15 March. My friend was 50 whilst we were there and I was XX:-) On both birthdays, we arrived back from our walkabout to find a bottle of Bohemian Sekt on ice in our room, together with a gift and a card. Oh my….what can I say! A most superb personal touch.

One thing I did not find mentioned on the comments I read before I left, was that – thankfully – the rooms are non smoking. However, we were allowed to smoke in the communal area or ‘living room’ as we called it, which was right outside our room. These areas by the way are beautiful. Napoloeonic sofas, coffee table, easy chairs and fresh flowers. A great meeting place if you are travelling with friends. (Oh, and they also quietly play classical music in these areas, very nice indeed, even though I personally am / was not a fan of classical music, it really suited the setting and the city – which is full of classical concerts!)

Smoking is also not allowed (again a good thing) at breakfast, although if you eat in the area at night, (which is the Dominikan restaurant), smoking is allowed. We actually did eat in the restaurant on the night of my friend’s 50th and the food was excellent. We were also given 20% off the menu price which I believe applies to all guests.

Talking of the restaurant, we could not fault breakfast, especially if like me you like your bacon crispily cooked. (There is even Bohemian Sekt available for those celebrating an occasion!) Also, for those of you wishing to catch up on the news at breakfast, they have a flat screen on the wall in the smaller of the dining rooms which shows CNN AND they have free newspapers in a selection of languages. Leyna, one of the waitresses will get your coffee for you if you want her to and always remembers what type of coffee it is that you like! Yes (as somebody else strangely complained about…) they clear the plates away quickly, but in reality that is because they do not like to leave you with unwanted food, or empty plates in front of you! I personally loved the fact that they were so attentive. At no point, did I get the impression that they wanted everybody out of breakfast by 10am! Far from it.

If I had to write about any minus points, which are minimal and in reality not that important, they are as follows:

No full length mirror in the room! (Aaaagghhhh….I believe they have taken this on board and will remedy the situation as there is space to put one. The only full length one whilst we were there was the lift - not quite the place one wants to preen themselves in front of!!) No bath robes ....but you do get free slippers. Water can seep on the floor whilst showering, as the screen is maybe not large enough. The TV Stations are VERY limited and when I say limited, I mean limited. (I did enjoy Italian X Factor though and some Polish game programme - 'Hot or Not' !!) Maybe they have signal problems? There appeared to be a similar problem with the radio / i pod docking station as I could only find 2 channels. The Tassimo coffee maker, well what a ‘boys’ toy that is! (Sorry boys!) Would be much better (in my opinion) to have a kettle and a selection of beverages. My friend did however, manage to use the machine to make us hot chocolate (I was also going to say Horlicks but I don't want to sound too boring!) by allowing the water to flow into the provided coffee pot. We found it difficult to control the temperature in the room. That however, was probably our own lack of ability rather than the fault of the hotel and we didn't bother to ask them for control directions so can't really complain. There is not a lot of drawer space in the wardrobe for 2 people's ‘small’ items of clothing and jumpers etc. However, I am the queen of excess baggage so I don’t think the wardrobe would be a problem for most people! The walk to the lift from reception is currently in the open - great when the sun shines, wet when it rains! However, they are currently working on this area and it is probable that it will eventually be glass covered, as indeed so will all the outside terrace area. There is no mat at the reception area door after walking from the lift. This is a little dangerous as the floor can be slippy when it rains, depending of course on the soles of your footwear. If you have difficulty with stairs, you may have a problem if you are allocated rooms on the 4th floor, as these rooms are only accessible from the 3rd floor by stairs. Finally, there is no bar. However, this is not a problem as there is a bar outside the hotel called Ethno (to the lft, on the corner), which is staffed by very, very nice people -hi to Frankie { talk to him about Brighton} and Vladimir who is recognisable by his white specs!

As you can see, my negatives are nit picking more than anything else.

Would I recommend this hotel, you bet. Would I stay there again, you bet. I still cannot believe the price that we paid, for one of the best hotels we have ever stayed in – individually and collectively. I must say, I did think that because we had paid so little that we would be given a sub-standard room but....I have come to the conclusion that none of the rooms are sub-standard. I did shop around though and booked 5 months in advance, so it is worth looking here, there and everywhere for a good deal. (I would also like to mention, that our flights via EasyJet from Stansted were excellent. Both took off on time and both landed early and they were excellent value for money - again booked 5 months in advance.) And, thank goodness, our taxi was waiting for us at Prague airport - 590 koruny each way, which seems to be a standard price across the board.

All in all, we both had exceptionally memorable birthdays and would like to THANK THE SAVIC STAFF for the wonderful hospitality and the superb level of personal service that we received. Also, thank you to Prague weather as although we had bits of rain and some days were quite cold, the sun shone on both our birthdays - icing on the metaphorical cake for both of us.

If anybody has any questions, please feel free to contact me. Lyn Baird (Hertfordshire).

PS: I don't understand why this hotel is not number 2 in Prague!
PPS: Be careful of being 'ripped off' for drinks / food / gifts at tourist attractions and surprisingly, some back street bars / shops. The krony (crown) is quite difficult to mentally convert and calculate with the exchange being an awkward rate of between 27-31 to the pound, and can lead you to thinking you have paid a reasonable price for something when in fact you haven't. My advice, always take a calculator and ask how much something is in advance before ordering / buying. Also, shop around - if you have time. Enjoy....

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with friends
5 Thank Lynvild
VA
Reviewed March 22, 2009

The Savic was great. The staff could not have been nicer. They provided us with excellent restaurant suggestions and helpful tips. My room was ready at 10:00 am when I arrived. The room was comfortable and clean. I would definitely recommend this hotel and stay there again.

1 Thank camva
Manchester
Reviewed March 12, 2009

It started from the reception given to us, the receptionist had plenty of time for us to explain not just the hotel but Prague too, and a lovely welcome drink of your choice. Not a typical layout, stairs and corridors fit well with it's character.The room was large well equipped, from comfy beds to a luxurious bathroom. If ever in Prague , this hotel will be our number one choice.

1 Thank The_man_fr0m_uncle
eastbourne
Reviewed March 9, 2009

Stayed at the Savic for two nights, 5 and 6th March. Arrived about 11 am room 207 was ready so got checked in early. Lovely room with a lovely entrance into a small hall with the wadrobe and a few steps up into the room. Lovely high ceilings and very light room as it had two windows. We did have a problem though as work was being done on the room above causing alot of noise.

The management were very helpfull though and moved us to room 202, another lovely room, larger but not so much characture, but sill a great room, WOW the bed is comfortable. Lovely bathroom with all the toileteries and flannels you need. I pod docking station, t coffee maker, mini bar i room and ice machine on landing.

The breakfast was great plenty of choice from cold meats, cheese, cereal, fruit, yoghurts to hot food. Plenty of coffee and t on offer and the staff were always on hand.

The one thing that struck me on my first visit to Prague was the standard of service and friendliness from the hotel and the bars and restaurants we visited, this was agenuine warmth and not just to get tips from you.

The pub opposite and slightly left of the hotel reception, was great for a pre-bed !! drink or two, once again great staff.

The Savic was the icing on the cake to a fantastic short break to a lovely city.

Dont think about it just book it !!!! what a great hotel

Graeme

2 Thank graeme.p
Cheshire
Reviewed March 3, 2009

Our involvement with the Savic Hotel started by the minibus organised through them was waiting for us as we landed at the airport so a great first impression! On arrival at the hotel very late at night we were greeted by a pleasant gentlemen on reception and given all the necessary information for using the Hotel. THEN we entered our room! WOW what a fantastic room and an extra bed for our 4 year old all made up. Beautiful decor, attention to detail was superb, no scratchy towels or cheap linen here! Rooms cleaned and towels changed daily, tea & coffee making facilities, LCD telly on the walls. Overall a luxurious hotel with very pleasant and accomodating staff. Only thing missing was a bar/cafe area and swimming pool!

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with family