“Basic, but valuable”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Prague
The Golden Horse House
Ranked #294 of 660 Specialty Lodging in Prague
Graz, Austria
“Basic, but valuable”
Reviewed August 28, 2009

Wel lived in the Studios, that are about 500m from the original Golden Horse House. The studios are in a very basic flat. It´s cheap, within walking distance to the tourist area and that´s it. The "original" house of the Golden Horse looked a lot nicer and is in a really nice area. So better try there!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank Toertie

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
  • Polish first
Lucca
Reviewed July 15, 2009

I found the reviewes by the other travelers very useful in deciding where to stay in Prague . The place is nice, rooms are clean. Breakfast for additional 5 Euro was ok! I mean for what we paid it is more than enough. Everything is within a walking distance. We walked for three days.
They also orginised our transfer from and to the airport and that was real good. The driver, (seems he is the owner) was very friendly and gave us information about the city, where to eat etc. Generally nice place to stay for a good price and service.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank SaraLucca
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 9, 2008

We stayed in this B&B for 3 nights, but didn't get any sleep the first night, as the mattress was about 5cm thick and you could feel every single slat underneath. The owner and her son were very understanding and helpful the next morning and organised for a 2nd mattress to be laid on top the first one, which made a huge difference. The rooms are basic, but quite large. Bathroom was tiny, shower only. Breakfast was served in a cosy little room and consisted of mainly bread, cheese, ham, yoghurt and cornflakes.

The location is fantastic - in an otherwise exceedingly expensive Prague, Mala Strana boasts some affordable and excellent pubs and restaurants. We also stayed in the old town on the other side of the river for a night, but Mala Strana is by far the better option (if you are happy to walk).

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — The bed
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
CO
Reviewed May 21, 2008

The Golden Horse House also owns some studio apartments in the Andel area of Prague which is two metro stops or a quick tram ride from the city center, or about a 30 minute walk. The studio is about 200m from the staions. I thought the location was great and I was very happy with my stay in the Studio.

One of the things I really liked was that Andel Square is huge shopping area for the Prague residents, but not so busy with tourists. The area was full of awesome, cheap restaurants at local prices and not tourist prices and one of the biggest Czech breweries, Staropramen, was right there and gives tours.

The owner, Jarej (sp) was very helpful and greeted me with a map and lots of advice. The studio was clean, safe, and comfortable. I would definately recommend to others and I would definately stay there again.

• Stayed May 2008
Athens
Reviewed November 3, 2007

Just back from Prague and we stayed at the Golden Horse House for 3 nights.I think this is a great find! Its a guesthouse..a15th century house according to the site.Its in the Mala Strana area across the bridge which to me was great...very residential..just below the castle..away from all the touristy crowds etc...The area was lovely.The main street down to the square is filled wth small shops..other hotels and places to eat.Always people out and about.

We booked the transfer back and forth to airport which was only 35 euros.Well worth it..Tomas took us by car.We had a double room(two twins beds) with private bath which was brand new... for only 45 euros.There was a shared kitchen to our room and another(but we never saw them!) with a fridge..toaster..microwave..kitchen sink..etc with all utensils.Great for making a hot drink or just putting a few things in fridge to munch on.

There is free internet 24 hours a day!

Breakfast if asked for downstairs made by a lovely woman..rolls..bread..cheese and cold cut platter..coffee..tea etc..We paid 3,50 euros.But worth it rather than ging out to find a place for breakfast.

Its uphill from Mala Strana sqaure(which did not bother us) so if you do not like walking etc keep it in mind.To the Charles Bridge it was only a 15 to 20 minute walk depending on how fast you are etc.We walked everywhere..did not use any tram or transport!

Staff although not there always...was very polite and helpful!Mobile number is given for contact.

It was like being at someones house..no one bothers you..got your keys to come and go..

I think this is a great find for the price!!Would definately stay there again!

• Liked — Lovely area..quiet..cosy guesthouse.
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled with friends
2 Thank philosykos
The Netherlands
Reviewed December 13, 2006

I was a little apprehensive about this place, since it was so cheap (only 35 euros per night with breakfast) and centrally located in Prague, but I was pleasantly surprised. The room was very clean, it was quiet and had a small kitchenette with fridge, cups, water cooker, etc. The house is just below the Castle and maybe 15 minutes from the Charles Bridge. It's a bit of an incline walking from the city center, so not for the frail. My room was also on the third floor and there was no lift in the hotel.
Breakfast was brought to my room every morning and was ample and consisted of a thermos of coffee, orange juice, rolls, jam, cheese and cold cuts, and milk. I went in the off-season and the hotel didn't seem full, so I'm not sure about how thick or soundproof the walls are. The bathroom was small and the shower seemed to need some coaxing to get hot water. The room was furnished with a small TV and couch. The TV had a large number of German and some Czech stations, depending on which remote control you used. I never did really figure them out.

I believe I booked through a third agency, because when I arrived, early, the person at the hotel had to call someone and make sure I had reserved the room. It's not really a hotel with a front desk. There was a cubby room on the first floor (second floor in US) where it looked like someone lived as there was a bunkbed in it. The people there spoke limited English, but were very pleasant.

Great, inexpensive place for the unpretentious traveler.

• Liked — Location, breakfast in my room, price
  • Disliked — Small shower
  • Tips/Secrets — Prices vary depending on whom you book through