“Satisfaction”

Hotel Stary Pivovar
Ranked #526 of 649 Hotels in Prague

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Prague, Czech Republic
Reviewed June 23, 2014

In the hotel we had 6.7 2014 wedding (50 people). Excellent food (lunch, evening reception), very helpful waiter Alex Nagy,Thank you very much!! Partying until 01 a.m., noise wasn´t problem. We had better rooms - clean. There was a little noise from the busy street - cars, trams. Excellent parking and access to the citycenter with trams. The hotel is next to the cemetery :-) Table decoration we have made ourselves.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Aneta S
Zagreb, Grad Zagreb, Croatia
Reviewed May 27, 2014 via mobile

I stay with my girl in this place for few days bia agency for low budget trips. It was clean and stuff was teally friendly. The breakfast was really poor but I guess for that price it is normal. It is 100 m from tram station. You need about 15 minutes with tram to center.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Krakow, Poland
Reviewed May 20, 2014

Need to say few words introduction to the review. We were planning a budget-trip to Prague, focusing on life in the city more than the standard of the hotel. We were not expecting anything outstanding from a hotel, but a regular, all-you-need in quality-you-pay-for.

First of all, the location is not too good when you want to visit the city as a tourist. It takes about 15 minutes to get from tram to the underground. Directly with tram you can go somewhere near the old town but still prepare for a 20 minute walk. Getting to the nearest tram stop from the hotel is still about 10 minutes - this is located perfectly in the middle between Motol and Krematorium Motol (yes, there is a crematory nearby - yummie).

As for the hotel itself - I can't say a bad word about the staff - the reception was since the beginning very helpful and nice (we were communicating in English). They have a small shop there where you can find something to eat and drink and even tickets (they don't charge extra when you buy 24 hour one). The hall looks quite nice, the restaurant is fine, I loved the design of the staircases. But this is where the positive things end.

The rooms are, to say kindly, below the expectations. First of all - room was very dark. Big, with only a little window - having seen the hotel from the outside, it is like this in most of the rooms. The window is so little and a bit hidden that even in the middle of the day the rooms are completely dark. The lighting in room is very poor and basic - there were only two lamps in the ceiling, barely giving any light and one little table lamp, giving almost no light. It was very unpleasant. Floor was completely dirty and haven't seen a mop for a while. Bed was ok, but we had double and it was getting separated way to easily so we were constantly struggling with a hole between them. TV was small and did not display the colors correctly. Choice of channels very poor - only one English, CNN. Fan in bathroom was broken and very noisy, water temperature in the shower - almost impossible to adjust to preferances. The air in the room was so heavy and smelly that having woke up or coming to the hotel after a few hours one could not breathe there. Opening a window could help, but the hotel is so close to very busy road (trams passing even all night) that the noise is almost like in the street. Forget about sleeping with an open window.

Breakfasts were poor as well. First of all - there are far too many guests for the food selection and amount that they prepare. The tables are being refilled, but as soon as some food is being prepared, it is immediately taken by impatient, hungry people. The quality was low - cheapest sausages, salads made from what was left from the previous day, eggs overboiled and with no taste... I chose bread, cheese and ketchup + coffee. If you have an option - save the money and skip the breakfast.

All in all, the hotel had a good potential. I liked the pictures on the walls showing the ruins of old brewery that was there 10 years ago, after they were renovated to an hotel. That works the imaginations. Hotel staff is also very nice and they try their best for the resources they have. But it is still not enough to compensate for the disadvantages of the hotel, that are inacceptable even for the low-budget stays. I will not come back here and would never refer it to anyone.

Room Tip: Ask for one with a window on the forest - the further from the street the better (still won't he...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Beezqp

Travelers are raving about these Prague hotels

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed May 8, 2014

I have just returned from a two night stay in this hotel. I don't know how much it cost as I was there on business and did not choose the venue myself. My room which was an elongated shape under a sloped roof contained two narrow beds....I guess about one meter wide, one of which was dressed with a sheet and thin duvet and one very flat pillow. I asked for another pillow and after a bit of a search was given a lumpy object in a white bag. The room had a rough synthetic carpet which smelled so strongly of disinfectant I was afraid to walk on it barefoot. The sloped roof had two windows with decorative see through curtains but no blinds so when I woke at full light and looked at my clock it was only 4.30 with no possibility of getting back to sleep. There was a big bathroom but the thin towel and tiny bottle of soup couldn't induce me into the shower as well as the freezing temperature in the room. the conference space was like a metro tunnel with no light or heat. we had lunch on both days in the restaurant and dinner one evening all of which I will write about in the restaurant review. Suffice to say at the moment I do not want to see another member of the pig family for a long time! Staff were indifferent at best and rude at worst. Breakfast was poor with a choice of processed cheese, ham etc. I hate to say this but I was really glad to get some airport food.

Room Tip: Please ask for the room on the brochure. I would be interested to know if it actually exists
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank bermb2016
Jiri H, Vlastník at Hotel Stary Pivovar, responded to this review, January 29, 2015
Hello
We are very sorry to hear that you had bad experience, you should contact hotel manager if you were so unhappy, we could resolve your issue in the hotel and you could get your money back or some discount. You can still contact us anytime on our hotel email to resolve your issues.

Best regards - hotel owner
Reviewed December 17, 2013

Very good and nice hotel for its price.Good location only 12 minutes by tram to Andel or 20-25 minutes to old town.One of the bad thing is that hotel is located very close to busy highway so its a bit noisy but it did not bothered me that much but for someone who has light sleep could be issue.Rooms are very nice and worm with small Tv with not much choice of channels.Only thing i was missing was a kettle to make tea or coffee.Another small issue was that during my stay it happened few many times that staff or cleaner came to my room without knocking even that i had do not disturb label on my door.But otherwise staff was friendly and helpful.Most definitely i would visit this hotel again.

Room Tip: as much far as possible from main road
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Miami, Florida
Reviewed October 2, 2013

Good But Noisy Location, Great Staff

Although this hotel is located next to a busy highway with tram stops within easy walking distance, this is a very convenient location for visiting Prague.

We did not have the breakfast that was included in our nightly rate but it seemed typical European, nothing special.

Unfortunately, during our stay there was a huge down pour and the hotel lobby flooded. For me, this was no big deal just added an interesting touch to our stay.

On the plus side, the front desk staff at Hotel Stary Pivovar was exceptionally pleasant and provided good local information about touring the city. Tram tickets are available for purchase right at the front desk.

One nice touch for us was that one of the front desk clerks offered to take care of our laundry while we out and about in the city.

If you can sleep through the constant highway noise or end up with a more quiet room than we did, staying at Hotel Stary Pivovar can be a good deal.

I know I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family