“Avoid like the plague”

Ranked #439 of 651 Specialty Lodging in Prague
London, United Kingdom
“Avoid like the plague”
Reviewed March 9, 2014

I stayed here with a group of friends on an interrailing trip. We had booked three nights, but within an hour of arriving we decided to check out the next day. The beds were like broken prison cots, there was mould in the bathroom and shower, barely any water pressure and the counter-top fell off the kitchen counter when someone leaned on it. There was dirt everywhere, and we were lead up five flights of stairs and into three rooms before they found a free one (I should point out that the hostel staff would have been happy to leave us in someone else's room, until we pointed out their phones/laptops/clothes left around which indicated the room was still occupied) That night, everyone on our floor was robbed while they slept, and one girl saw the staff 'chasing' the robber out of the building. Funnily enough, even with locks on the door and CCTV on the stairs, they still managed to wander around and rob the place blind. We said goodbye to a lot of our cash, credit cards and passports that night, and the staff did nothing whatsoever to help us (they actually refused to let us use their phones to call the police/embassy)

Room Tip: Just avoid
Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Prague, Czech Republic
Reviewed March 2, 2014 via mobile

Absolutely horrible. Rooms are dirty, beds are uncomfortable as hell, sheets does not fit blankets. Not enough outlets. No wi-fi in the rooms. Kitchen is horrible and our food was stolen. Stuff doesn't care.

Most of the people come here to party and wake you up in the middle of the night.

CHEAP!

Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends

Travelers are raving about these Prague hotels

Cologne, Germany
Reviewed February 23, 2014

Good place to meet other travellers from all around the world. Have the local money because they prefer that. Good for backpackers, location is quite good, but our room was not really nice and a bit dirty.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Sue P
Santa Cruz, California
Reviewed February 8, 2014

Definitely a nice hostel to meet people.
Rooms are big and cozy.
Front desk could be a little more friendlier, but hey its Europe right? The payment policies are strict, make sure you book beforehand because I overheard the people at the front desk telling a family that because they didn't make a reservation they need to pay a lot more.
..also they're really strict about check outs.

The walk to the city's attractions isn't that bad.
ALSO make sure you're bags aren't big because I had to walk up 6 flights of stairs.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank Susan S
Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed January 26, 2014

is filled with backpackers from across the world.
The location is prime, very close to the bridge. The payment policies are strict.
for cheap and solo travellers, it is recommended. There are definately better options around

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank ridhesh
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed December 15, 2013

Showed up to Prague on a Monday night in September and Chilis was the only hostel we could locate that had any vacancy. We got a room on the 5th floor and upon hiking up the stairs it started to feel like a typical "you get what you pay for" scenario. The common area in between the 3 bedrooms seemed like a haunted hotel from the 20's or something. I adjusted to the eerie quietness emanating from the lack of insulation... you could here a pin drop. Laid in bed and started to nod off when I was awoken by the guests who showed up late night to blast music and raise general holy hell in the common area. At the risk of sounding like a complete geezer I appreciate the hostel and party lifestyle that comes with it but courteous behavior should still prevail when possible. Btw, I'm in early 30's so I still like to throw down a beer or two now and then but am at the age were frat boy shenanigans are lame. Either way after an hour, the racket stopped in time to nod off, and shortly after to be awoken by another set of guests. Unfortunately, these next guests were not euro-trash blaring house or frat boys slamming beers in their tighty whities. These guests were none other than the dreaded beasts of mythology, BED BUGS. I woke up in a half slumber and felt my arms and face being bitten. I recall slapping at them periodically while mid sleep. I woke up in the morning and hoped I was dreaming. Unfortunately, I found the tell tale sign of blood stains and bugs on the sheets. I told management, who cancelled the rest of my reservation but still charged $12 for the night. That's life and Prague was amazing anyway. I was glad to get the hell out of there and stay at another place. With all that being said, I've come to learn bed bugs aren't always a sign of lack of cleanliness and can be found in high end hotels too. Always check mattresses and sheets even if it looks clean. As for the bites, they showed up about 4 days later all over my arms and side. I washed my clothes at a hotel before returning home..

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends