“An oasis of calm, but not quite perfect” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Mandarin Oriental, Prague

Mandarin Oriental, Prague
Ranked #33 of 670 Hotels in Prague
“An oasis of calm, but not quite perfect”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2013

This is an excellent choice for a hotel in Prague. It is located on a quiet little street, just a short walk from all the hustle and bustle of the Charles Bridge and within walking distance (unless you don't like to walk) of all the major sights. The concierge and the rest of the staff is excellent. Making arrangements for transportation, finding out about evening events, arranging for tour guides etc. is handled easily and graciously. I hired a guide through the hotel for a half day tour of the Jewish quarter and Old Town, and she was excellent. For 900 crowns/hour I highly recommend this. My pick up at the train station went smoothly.

My room was quite comfortable and the beams were charming, but it was a bit cave-like. The room was split level, and if you have trouble with stairs, you might want to specify at the time of reservation that you need a room on one level. The room only had one very small window high up. You couldn't even reach it, and it let in very little light anyway. Fortunately, I didn't come to Prague to stay in my room. Turndown service was good, and the fresh fruit was much appreciated. However, I think I would prefer free wifi access, at least in the public areas, to being greeted with a glass of iced tea on a tray and in room check in. The lobby area is nondescript and somewhat claustrophobic feeling, but this is probably a function of the age of the building. An A+ for serenity, location, and service, but a few details (wifi, natural light) could be better.

Room Tip: Be clear about needs or expectations to avoid unpleasant surprises. The reviews here have lots of g...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank travelingmom74150
MO_Prague, General Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Prague, responded to this review, August 12, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience at Mandarin Oriental, Prague with the TripAdvisor community.

I am delighted to read that you enjoyed so many aspects of your stay, especially the hotel location and the quality of our service.

Your comments regarding natural light and free wifi access in the room are well taken indeed. We do provide free wifi in the hotel’s public areas, however, thank you for bringing it to our attention.
I sincerely hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to Prague in the future.

With best regards,

Werner Anzinger

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (187)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2013

A lovely quiet hotel tucked away just off the beaten path, yet still very close to everything.

Still feels new and fresh. Two parts of the hotel, the old monestary side and the new wing. **BE FOREWARNED**: if you stay in the dead of summer, and you're in the old part, the a/c is located IN the window sill alcove, and it does not cool the room efficiently OR allow you to draw the shades to block light without cutting off the cool air. I suspect the old part of the building didn't allow them to do it differently (friends in newer wing showed us their a/c, coming from ceiling, problem solved for them). So, you may want to request newer wing/rooms if a/c is a concern for you. In 97* temps, it was for us. Bed was okay, I tended to roll to the side. Needed a new mattress.

***WARNING about inexperienced desk staff***
At check-in, they ran my card and my bank froze the card because of suspicious activity (yes, I had a travel alert on my account). I called the bank to find out why. A simple phone call to my bank straightened it out, but the desk staff didn't seem to understand what they had done incorrectly: namely, running the card in succession several times with **DIFFERENT** amounts and entering the date incorrectly without notifying me first of the initial decline. So it looked very suspicious (and unprofessional) to my bank.

The breakfast buffet, included in our price, was not sparse, but insconsistant. Bacon was super salty all 5 days we tried it. Scrambled eggs often watery. Their pastries and bread were hard and chewy. The sausages were good, and they had a decent selection of fruit and cereals which helped. You could order something freshly prepared also, but I never had the time to do this.

Now the good stuff!
The excellent concierge staff and restaurant staff were very helpful and friendly.
Excellent location a stone's throw from a few cute restaurants, including a surprisingly good Mexican restaurant (yes, good, I'm from California, I know good Mexican).
Drivers were super nice, and knowlegeable as well, picking us up from and taking us to the airport. We also did a special day trip with driver to Cesky Krumlov and loved our driver. Cost was equivalent to about one night's stay. So worth it if you're in Prague longer than 4 days, and the hotel arranged it for us. Very nice service/convenience.

RESTAURANT:
GREAT drinks, and their summery beverages were the best. Fruity teas.
Their Indian food was surprisingly very very good. So good, I had it a second day, but they ignored my request for "mild" and it was almost too spicy to eat that second time.

The location was the best. As long as you don't mind walking the Charles bridge to get to the main square. We didn't. And we liked the quiet on our side of the bridge. I'd stay here again, but maybe not before I tried other hotels first.

Everyone is a bit hot and grumpy in severe heat, we tried to remember that. And we know they may not be able to tell Americans from the unruly Brit Stag parties. Best advice is to BE VERY CLEAR when you communicate. There is a language barrier, and they are already doing better than you by speaking several languages. Other than the desk staff issue and breakfast and a/c quality, it's a lovel hotel.

Room Tip: Newer wing, newer rooms have the a/c located in the ceiling, instead of the window sill, thus coolin...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank SSummersLA
MO_Prague, General Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Prague, responded to this review, August 8, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience at Mandarin Oriental, Prague witht the TripAdvisor community.

I am pleased to read that you enjoyed the service quality of our concierge, drivers and restaurant staff, as well as the hotel location, our drinks and menu selection.

Your specific comments regarding the air conditioning in the room, mattress, credit card manipulation and breakfast buffet have been noted with many thanks and addressed with the relevant department heads for further follow-up.

Thank you very much for your candid feedback and I sincerely hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to our hotel.

With warm regards,

Saddle River, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2013

The Mandarin is perfect in so many ways. Located in the "Little Quarter", it is very close to the Charles Bridge, and surrounded by excellent restaurants. The service is impeccable, friendly and efficient. Our room was elegantly decorated and comfortable. Katerina, the concierge, recommended wonderful restaurants for dinner, and made all the reservations for us. Klara, in the restaurant, made sure we had everything we needed. The Mandarin is the best place to stay when visiting Prague.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Henri C,

I am delighted to read your review about your recent stay at Mandarin Oriental, Prague. Thank you for your generous comments and for sharing your experience with the TripAdvisor community.

Your positive comments are a great encouragement to the entire hotel team!

We would be happy to welcome you back to our proprety in the near future.

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2013

Mandarin Oriental Prague is the best place to stay in Prague. It is really serving you with the 5 star expectations. Best Place, very good Rooms, excellent Staff, The Best Chefs one can fine in europe. We had a great time with family.

Room Tip: rooms selection is based on an individual requirements. Rooms are very good.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
MO_Prague, General Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Prague, responded to this review, August 5, 2013
Dear Divyang D,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience at Mandarin Oriental, Prague with the TripAdvisor community as well as providing me with additional valuable feedback directly to my e-mail account.

I am thrilled that you enjoyed your stay with us; and your generous comments are a great encouragement to the entire hotel team.

Please let’s keep in touch and I sincerly hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you and your family back to Prague in the future.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2013

We stayed at the Mandarin Oriental during the Christmas period and there was a really lovely atmosphere with many vibrant yet tasteful decorations - and little Christmas biscuits at the front desk! The breakfast was divine; with a freshly cooked and flavoursome buffet and vaulted ceilings. The staff were also very helpful and friendly, and the manager checked up on us now and then during our stay. The rooms were well equipped and the beds extremely comfortable. The location of the hotel is impressive - located in a back street so most of the noise of the city is left behind - being moment away from Charles Bridge. A lovely hotel which we will definitely be returning to!!

Room Tip: If you can splash out the suites are sensational
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
MO_Prague, General Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Prague, responded to this review, July 31, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking your time to share your experience at Mandarin Oriental, Prague with the TripAdvisor community.

I am thrilled to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you were delighted by the enchanting Christmas atmosphere. Thank you for highlighting the quality of our service, the hotel location and the comfort of the room.

We look forward to welcome you back to Prague again!

Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2013

We stayed at the Mandarin during our Prague visit and agree with the reviews that this luxury hotel is the best place to stay. The Mandarin has the best location and wonderful staff. The rooms are very comfortable and quiet. We enjoyed getting to know the very qualified staff especially Nick in the bar and the hotel driver, Steve. You will so enjoy your stay here!

Room Tip: The deluxe suites are spacious and very comfortable and the bathrooms are beautiful.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
MO_Prague, General Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Prague, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
Dear Branda N,

I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay at Mandarin Oriental, Prague. I would like to thank you for sharing your generous comment with the TripAdvisor Community.

Your positive comments are a great encouragment to our entire team.

I sincerely hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you again in Prague in the future.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2013

The people at the mandarin greeted us upon our arrival toured us around the hotel and made us feel so welcome. Our room was too got due to the sun coming in but with no problem and no hassle from us they immediately moved us to a better room with no charge. The bar was a lovely spot to sit with excellent service and fantastic fun drinks (signature, non alcoholic and classic drinks). The spa was also an excellent way to destress and they have many options for massage, facials, scrubs, etc. The best part of the mandarin was the location. We were close to Charles bridge but you can get away from the hustle and bustle by going back to the solitude of the hotel. An amazing experience in prague! We will surely be back soon!

• Stayed July 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
MO_Prague, General Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Prague, responded to this review, July 25, 2013
Dear Guest,

I am thrilled to read that you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you for highlighting the great hotel's location, the quality of the service and the relaxing treatments offered by our Spa.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Mandaring Oriental, Prague soon.

With best regards,