“Shoddy management and other staff”

Mandarin Oriental, Prague
Ranked #26 of 649 Hotels in Prague
SouthAfrica
“Shoddy management and other staff”
Reviewed March 16, 2013

Upon our arrival at the hotel the manager on duty, a woman, ignored us totally as she groveled at the feet of another couple checking in at the same time...not very welcoming ...
The hotel itself is well located , close enough to the action but far away enough to be quiet.
The Spa .....sublime bliss, from decor to staff to therapists, without question the best spa or treatment we have had anywhere in the world.
The decor of the hotel , from restaurant to bar to rooms is acceptable but far from plush .Bit spartan actually, something minimalists may enjoy.
The gym, superb from equipment to layout and cleanliness.
The breakfast room is as described adequate from an aesthetic perspective, the fare on offer for the fully inclusive breakfast is fairly wide in choice but under no circumstances stray from the given choice or you will face a hefty addition to the existing cost for the fully inclusive breakfast...restaurant staff seemed to run hot and cold, one day great and others barely civil?
The bed( mattress) is without question one of the most heavenly either of us had ever slept in.
At this point you are probably saying why on earth did we rate this hotel so badly...let me elaborate.
A stay in a hotel is not only about the decor and the bells and whistles, although of huge importance,one should also take cogniscance of the staff and the services afforded to their guests. In this area( Barring the Spa staff-all of whom we had interactions with) and one of the restaurant waitresses the rest of the staff were sadly lacking in their communication and guest relation interaction skills...disgraceful for a hotel of the supposed calibre of the Mandarin Prague.
I will elaborate on a few areas of where shoddy services were offered from management and other staff.
As described above in my opening...I am still aghast at the manager on duty and the manner in which we were ignored...if they did not want our custom we would gladly have gone to the Four Seasons where the rate was similar, decor substantially more comfortable and plush and the service leagues ahead of that of the Mandarin staff.
The doorman was well, just about never at his post, the concierge disappeared for ages, the reception staff were trainees and whilst sweet and desperate to be accommodating were really just not up to scratch and definitely far from being polished...once again not something one would expect from front line staff in a 5 Star hotel.
A very specific example which also really still makes me livid is the manner in which when on the way to dinner at one of Prague's top restaurants when we asked for transport we were told to catch a taxi, the doorman, who I am sure it is his job to do, could not even open the hotel or taxi door for my partner or myself ...that is not what made me livid, what did was that another couple, AFTER us asked for transport somewhere and they were offered the hotels car...I know we only had a suite and not the presidential suite, but how does the management of this hotel operate or instruct their staff to operate?
We were guests at their hotel for 3 nights, a middle aged respectable well dressed and behaved couple...not some street urchins.
I am sure our impression of this hotel would have been better , if the staff and management had been better at their functions.
Would I stay at the Mandarin again...not if you paid the bill....as said , the Four seasons up the road would give better value for the amount charged and substantially better service as they seem to be trained to value their clientele.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Robin F
MO_Prague, General Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Prague, responded to this review, March 20, 2013
Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for your time to discuss your comments in the detail via telephone.

Once again, I apologize for the inconvenience and I would like to assure you that I have shared your feedback with my entire team. I have taken necessary steps that will enhance our usual attention to service towards our guests.

With best regards,

Werner Anzinger

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (192)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
New York City, New York
Reviewed March 14, 2013

My husband and I recent spent 6 nights at the hotel. The service at the hotel was very gracious and efficient----front front desk and concierge to the bar and restaurant. At check-in we were offered hot tea. I asked for a higher floor room and was then escorted to 2 rooms to choose from, one facing the courtyard and the other on a higher floor facing the street.
We chose the one facing the street, which may have been noisier except that the room had double pane windows so was actually very quiet. The room had high ceilings and was not badly furnished. The TV seemed a bit small given the size of the room and the beds were harder than we like, but the hardwood floors and the chandelier were nice touches. A fruit plate and bottles of water were refreshed daily.
A buffet breakfast was included in our room rate. The service there was also very good. During our stay, I did not see one platter at the buffet that needed replenishing. And our coffee cups were never empty for long. One complaint was that the coffee was not very good.
We did have dinner at the restaurant as well as drinks at the bar. Service again was stellar. Our waiter was very knowledgeable about the wine and the food was well executed.
There were just a couple of things I thought would make the hotel better----(1) wi-fi should be included in the room rate. (2) we were not able to see a summary of our bill on the hotel channel even though it purported to have the information. Also, it would have been nice to get a copy the evening before. One little misstep---- A notice that one of the historic sites would be closed the following morning was delivered by hand----we would have preferred that it just be slipped under the door especially since it was 9 p.m.
But we would whole heartedly recommend this hotel. It is centrally located (near the Charles Bridge), the rooms are beautiful and the service is near perfect.

Room Tip: Some of the rooms on the first floor have glass doors leading to an inner courtyard, but the ceiling...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MiffysPillowBook
MO_Prague, General Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Prague, responded to this review, March 15, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking your time and sharing your review with the TripAdvisor community.

I am delighted to hear that you have enjoyed your stay at Mandarin Oriental, Prague, including the service provided by our team, the well equipped and beautiful rooms as well as the convenient location of our hotel.

I can assure you that your notes regarding the wifi charge, the inconvenience in the morning and the missing of the summary of the bill on the hotel channel are well taken indeed and I would like to thank you for bringing these comments to our attention. Our main goal is always to delight and satisfy our guests.

We sincerely hope to welcome you back to Mandarin Oriental, Prague again.

My kindest regards,

Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed March 13, 2013

I visited the Prague Mandarin Oriental back in the very beginning in 2007. And ever since hotel accommodation and staff client servicing are still maintained way above standard level.
Our business stay this time was perfect (thank you for the nice upgrade!) and we experienced the restaurant and their Indian chef (and survived the great but spicy food!). The bar also offers a great menu (the barman did know how to make a Vesper) and there is a smoking area. The hotel has a great car limo service that was very efficient.
Do I come back? Most certainly!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
MO_Prague, General Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Prague, responded to this review, March 14, 2013
Dear Mr Peter T.,

Thank you very much for taking your time to post such a complimentary review about your stay at Mandarin Oriental, Prague.

I am thrilled to read you have enjoyed your stay including our Barego bar, spicy flavor of our Essensia restaurant, and most importantly the warm service of our team. We are always trying to make our guests feel like home.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Mandarin Oriental, Prague soon!

My kindest regards,

Reviewed March 12, 2013

Located close to all of the primary attractions, but off the main thoroughfares so the property is quite peaceful as well. A nice place to come back to after a long day of shopping, dining and sightseeing.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
MO_Prague, General Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Prague, responded to this review, March 13, 2013
Dear Guest,

Let me thank you for sharing such a positive comment about your recent stay at Mandarin Oriental, Prague with the TripAdvisor community. I am delighted to hear you have enjoyed your stay with us, and I am sincerely looking forward to welcoming you back in the future.

My very best wishes,

Wilton, Connecticut
Reviewed March 11, 2013

My first visit to Prague, and my first stay in a Mandarin Oriental outside of the United States (Boston, DC, Miami). The Mandarin in Prague, and its staff, did not disappoint. As you would expect from the MO, the location is ideal - a few blocks from the Charles Bridge, near many fine places to eat and drink, and the staff is best in class.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Steve B
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your generous comment on TripAdvisor. We are delighted to hear that you have enjoyed your stay with us and we would like to thank you for such a positive feedback. Please rest assured we will share your words with our entire team.

We would love to welcome you back soon to the Mandarin Oriental, Prague.

With my best wishes from Prague

Werner Anziner,
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed March 6, 2013

Each Mandarin Oriental hotel is special in its own way, but I have to say that after my second stay (for 11 nights) at the MO Prague with friends, that this is the most oustanding of all its European properties - I have stayed at every single one of them, except the one in Barcelona (I only dined there).

The hotel is understatedly elegant and fantastic for a quiet retreat. Rooms and suites are spacious and practical. The room service menu is truly interesting with excellent European and Oriental selections. I was later informed that the sous-chef is from Sri Lanka, no wonder the kitchen knows its spices. We had dinner in the restaurant 3 times; the service and food quality were consistently excellent.

From Reception to the Concierge, from the doormen to the bar, from the resraurant to the spa, every member of staff has a smile and a nice greeting for guests. Spa and restaurant staff are the most outstanding of them all. My friends commented that they had never seen such a well managed 5 star property. I totally agree with their viewpoint.

I look forward to returning to the MO Prague whenever my schedule allows me to do so.

Room Tip: Try the castle view rooms or suites.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Grace S
MO_Prague, General Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Prague, responded to this review, March 7, 2013
Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for investing your time and for sharing such a positive review regarding your recent stay at the Mandarin Oriental, Prague with the Trip Advisor Community.

I am very delighted to hear that you have spent such a wonderful time at our hotel, especially I was pleased to find out that the equipment of the rooms, the food quality and the warm service of our team totally satisfied and convinced you.

Your kind and enthusiastic comments are our best reward - rest assured that your compliments have been shared with the rest of the Mandarin Oriental, Prague team.

I would once again like to thank you for your time and effort, and sincerely hope to welcome you back to Mandarin Oriental, Prague soon.

Sincerely yours,

Werner Anzinger,
Preston, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 3, 2013

My husband, myself and two friends recently enjoyed a 3 night stay at the Mandarin Oriental in Prague. The hotel is situated in the very pretty Mala Strana area of Prague and is an easy walk to the main areas you may wish to visit. Some reviewers have commented about the decor and it is true to say that this hotel is not overtly opulent however I take this as a positive as it has been sensitively renovated from its former life as a monastery with the result being a beautiful property showcasing interesting artwork and tasteful and artful floral displays. Breakfast presentation is a good offering of hot/cold buffet with an A La Carte option should you choose. The rooms are generously proportioned, spotlessly clean and very quiet - you will enjoy a good nights sleep. All of the staff we encountered were friendly, engaged and extremely helpful. Try Concierge for restaurant recommendations and reservations. This was our third stay at the Mandarin and I have to say that standards have remained consistently high on each visit. I have no doubt we will return.

Room Tip: We had previously stayed in room 318 (Deluxe) and requested it again - lovely room, generously propo...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank MARIE_CLancashire
MO_Prague, General Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Prague, responded to this review, March 4, 2013
Dear Mrs Collis,

Thank you for your detailed review and positive comments following your stay at Mandarin Oriental, Prague.

I am thrilled to read that the design and ambience of the hotel, the room equipment as well as the services provided by our staff have met and even exceeded your expectations. Your compliments mean the world to us. Our main goal is to always satisfy our customers and make them feel home away from home.

I sincerely hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to Mandarin Oriental, Prague.

With my warmest regards,