“Beautiful Hotel (and Spa) in a Great Location”

Mandarin Oriental, Prague
Ranked #25 of 651 Hotels in Prague
Bamberg, Germany
“Beautiful Hotel (and Spa) in a Great Location”
Reviewed February 16, 2013

This is certainly the premier property in Prague, and one of the best I've stayed in in Europe. My wife and I spent four nights in suite. The property itself is amazing -- it is built on the site of a 14th century monastery and some of the architectural features have been retained, including some beautiful arched ceilings. The room was great, with an entryway, a living room, a large bedroom with very comfortable king-sized bed, and a huge bathroom. There was floor heat in both the bathroom and bedroom, which is extra-nice in Prague in February. On the very small complaint side, while the bathroom had a huge tub, it didn't have separate tub and shower, and the suite didn't have a separate w/c. The staff is amazing -- very friendly and helpful and no request will go unanswered. The restaurant is fantastic -- it is mentioned in the Michelin guide and I am somewhat surprised it didn't get a star -- it is worthy. They don't have the buffet spread that hotels in the Far East have, but what they did have was of the highest quality and delicious. The bar features a huge cocktail menu and is well worth a visit, even if you're not staying in the hotel. The best part of our visit was the spa. Just like the hotel itself, the spa is perhaps the finest I've ever been to. It's small and intimate with a highly trained staff. Really can't say enough good about it. Overall, a world-class hotel. One other very small complaint, which drives me nuts at these very-high-end places is the lack of free wifi. When paying these prices it seems that the surcharge for wifi is, quite simply, stupid. But that won't stop me from visiting the MO again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with the original high, arched ceilings.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank CHK_13
MO_Prague, General Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Prague, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for staying with us during your visit to Prague and for sharing such a generous review with the TripAdvisor community. I am very pleased to read that you have enjoyed our hotel, including Spa, Restaurant, Bar as well as our legendary service. Please be assured that your positive comments have been shared with the rest of the team.

Once again, thank you for your review and endorsement. We are very much looking forward to welcoming you to Mandarin Oriental, Prague during your next trip to the Golden City.

With warm regards

Werner Anzinger

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (191)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
St Paul, MN
Reviewed February 11, 2013

I stayed in the Mandarin Oriental Prague for three nights in early February with a stay two get the third night free package. I chose a Deluxe Terrace room and I was very pleased with it. The room opens up to a courtyard and there is a table with chairs to enjoy the view. The room had all the luxury appointments one would expect: soft white sheets, large towels, deep soaking tub, massive flat screen TV, and great air conditioning.

I was less pleased about the food offerings. My rate included a buffet breakfast - one morning it was minimal because of low occupancy, the other it was complete but I didn't find the offerings particularly memorable. I did have a very nice thai coconut soup for lunch and a room service cheeseburger one night.

The property has very minimal public areas - basically two chairs in a small lobby and a smoky lounge adjacent to the restaurant.

I had a lovely facial in the incredibly historic spa - it is worth a visit even if you aren't staying at the property.

The location was fine for my purposes - a block away from a tram stop and within close walking distance of the major attractions.

The staff were cordial but not really warm. I was surprised to see at checkout that some new guests were offered a cup of tea and a brochure explaining the history of the hotel, neither of which I received when I checked in.

All things considered, I had a fine experience that was a good value at the rate I received. I'd recommend it to anyone looking for high end accommodations in Prague.

Room Tip: Courtyard rooms are very quiet
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Spacrawler
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for a detailed review and comments following your stay with us. I am glad to hear that you have enjoyed your stay, including the spa treatment in our awarded spa.

I can assure you that your note regarding the breakfast and welcome cup of tea is well taken indeed. Thank you for bringing this comment to our attention. Our main goal is to delight our guests.

I sincerely hope to have you back in our “little jewel“ whenever your travels bring you back to Prague.

Best wishes,

Boca Raton, Florida
Reviewed January 31, 2013

My wife and I recently stayed at this hotel. We have traveled all throuought Europe and can honestly say that this property and its staff is the finest that we have had the good fortune to enjoy thus far. From the spacious room to the staffs attentiveness to accommodate every need ( even when it was not so easy to do) to the on premise transportation. A truly beautiful property with a wonderful staff in a magnificent city. Can't wait to go back.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Abafer1
MO_Prague, General Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Prague, responded to this review, February 1, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking your time to share such a positive review about Mandarin Oriental, Prague with the TripAdvisor community.

I am delighted to read that the services provided by our staff have met and even exceeded your expectations. Your compliments mean the world to us.

It has been a pleasure to look after you during your stay. I truly hope to have an opportunity to welcome you back to Mandarin Oriental, Prague soon.

With my warmest regards,

Werner Anzinger,
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed January 26, 2013

I have neglected to review this hotel a few years ago. During that time, we were given a deluxe room. We stayed for 4 nights. Very large bright and comfortable. The service was amazing as usual. We have stayed in the MOs before....3 times at the Tokyo MO which I consider to be the best Mandarin Oriental.
It was my birthday and I remember the concierge organised a cake and made a booking at a restaurant around the corner. It was really lovely of him. I should have reviewed this hotel ages ago.
The Spa was also very good and service excellent. Service was excellent in the restaurant for breakfast with staff greeting us by name. Breakfast buffet was very good. We felt very much at home here.
The location is brilliant. Not far from the Charles Bridge and the palace away from the busy part of Prague. It was very quiet and we really enjoyed our stay. After all this time, we still remember the service. The Hotel was a monastary and has a very tranquil ambience which we enjoyed. It is a hotel for probably people that appreciate elegant and calm surroundings. When the throngs of people on the street became too much, it was always nice to escape to this calmness.Yes, would have been good if there was a pool but maybe they will put one in somewhere eventually.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank travelbbug
MO_Prague, General Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Prague, responded to this review, January 28, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post such a positive review regarding your stay at Mandarin Oriental, Prague.

I am thrilled to know you enjoyed all aspects of your stay, especially the location, the spa facilities as well as the level of our service. Once again, thank you for your generous feedback, it is a wonderful encouragement to my team.

Furthermore we would like to inform you that you are our 400th reviewer on TripAdvisor and we are happy to announce that you are a lucky winner of a Gift certificate for two night’s stay in one of our Deluxe rooms, including Breakfast.

Congratulations from the entire team, please kindly contact us at your earliest convenience on the following email address: moprg-pr@mohg.com to claim your gift certificate.

We are looking forward to welcome you back to Mandarin Oriental, Prague.

With warm regards,

Reviewed January 14, 2013 via mobile

If you looking for a top hotel in an unbeatable location this is it... if you really want to experience the naff side of prague then its only a short walk over the wonderfull charles bridge where you can buy all the expensive " my brother went to prague and only bought this lously t shirt" tat and lager that you want . However if great views food architecture and beer are what your after... stay this side... the walks upto the observation tower and across to the castle are spectacular and the hidden bars in catacombs are great fun to find and spend the rest of the night. The hotel is faultless. As you would expect... so pick wisely...

• Stayed January 2013
1 Thank Peter R
MO_Prague, General Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Prague, responded to this review, January 15, 2013
Dear Mr Peter R.,

Thank you very much for taking your time and sharing your positive review with the Trip Advisor community. I am glad to know that you have enjoyed so many aspects of your stay, including the beautiful location of our hotel, as well as historical and architectural charms of Prague.

Should your travel bring you back to Prague, we would be happy to welcome you.

My very best wishes,

Reviewed January 11, 2013 via mobile

Lovely hotel. The restaurant is very good but the are other better ones in Prague as well. If you are used to the brand in the Far East then be prepared for slightly lower standards but it is still very good by European standards.

Worth nearly every penny. Very well trained staff, great service just always left with the feeling that it is slightly more expensive than it should be.

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Sagsma
MO_Prague, General Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Prague, responded to this review, January 14, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for investing your time and sharing your experience about your stay at Mandarin Oriental, Prague with the TripAdvisor Community.

I am very happy to hear that you have overall enjoyed your stay at our hotel, in particular as you pointed out our well trained staff and the great service offered. Furthermore your comment regarding the prices as well as the restaurant is well taken indeed and I am very thankful for bringing this note to our attention, as our main goal is to always delight our guests.

I sincerely do hope to have the chance to welcome you back to our “little jewel” in the near future.

With my warmest regards,

Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed January 9, 2013

I stayed here for work. I travel extensively and stayed at some of the best hotels of the world. Mandarin Oriental is one of the best luxury chains, yet their Prague property did not blow me away, and even disappointed me a little. Nevertheless, it a truly nice hotel, but next time I would consider staying at the Four Seasons unless I would be offered a good deal and guarantee of a great service.

First the pros :
- Location : excellent, right in the heart of Old Town in a quiet street
- Staff : very helpful and well trained, as you would expect from Mandarin Oriental
- Food : breakfast was excellent and varied, and dinner truly exceptional.
- Room : decently sized, modern, and very comfty beds
- Meeting rooms : very athmospheric and great : ideal hotel for business meetings!

Cons
- it is a pitty that the hotel has no swimming pool, given that their only competitor in town, the Four Seasons has a great pool.
- A/C was not working during my 2 night stay, and was not fixed during my stay either, despite me contacting the staff multiple times (they only provided a cooling fan).. Temperature in the room was more than 25 °C, so almost impossible to have a comfortable night of sleep. No room switch or any kind of compensation was offered to make up for this major inconvenience. This is not what you would expect from a Mandarin Oriental hotel.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank LuxTravelExpert
MO_Prague, General Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Prague, responded to this review, January 11, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking your time and sharing your review with the TripAdvisor community.

I regret to hear that we did not meet your expectations. I am sorry for the inconvenience and I would be grateful for the opportunity to discuss your experience into detail at your earliest convenience.

Please kindly contact me directly by telephone on +420 233 088 701 or by e-mail at the address wanzinger@mohg.com.

With best regards,