“Laid back excellence away from the shabby tourist hot spots”

Mandarin Oriental, Prague
Ranked #23 of 646 Hotels in Prague
Reviewed January 14, 2013 via mobile

If you looking for a top hotel in an unbeatable location this is it... if you really want to experience the naff side of prague then its only a short walk over the wonderfull charles bridge where you can buy all the expensive " my brother went to prague and only bought this lously t shirt" tat and lager that you want . However if great views food architecture and beer are what your after... stay this side... the walks upto the observation tower and across to the castle are spectacular and the hidden bars in catacombs are great fun to find and spend the rest of the night. The hotel is faultless. As you would expect... so pick wisely...

• Stayed: January 2013
1  Thank Peter R
MO_Prague, General Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Prague, responded to this reviewResponded January 15, 2013

Dear Mr Peter R.,

Thank you very much for taking your time and sharing your positive review with the Trip Advisor community. I am glad to know that you have enjoyed so many aspects of your stay, including the beautiful location of our hotel, as well as historical and architectural charms of Prague.

Should your travel bring you back to Prague, we would be happy to welcome you.

My very best wishes,

Werner Anzinger

Write a ReviewReviews (1,441)

Reviewed January 11, 2013

Lovely hotel. The restaurant is very good but the are other better ones in Prague as well. If you are used to the brand in the Far East then be prepared for slightly lower standards but it is still very good by European standards.

Worth nearly every penny. Very well trained staff, great service just always left with the feeling that it is slightly more expensive than it should be.

Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Sagsma
MO_Prague, General Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Prague, responded to this reviewResponded January 14, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for investing your time and sharing your experience about your stay at Mandarin Oriental, Prague with the TripAdvisor Community.

I am very happy to hear that you have overall enjoyed your stay at our hotel, in particular as you pointed out our well trained staff and the great service offered. Furthermore your comment regarding the prices as well as the restaurant is well taken indeed and I am very thankful for bringing this note to our attention, as our main goal is to always delight our guests.

I sincerely do hope to have the chance to welcome you back to our “little jewel” in the near future.

With my warmest regards,

Reviewed January 9, 2013

I stayed here for work. I travel extensively and stayed at some of the best hotels of the world. Mandarin Oriental is one of the best luxury chains, yet their Prague property did not blow me away, and even disappointed me a little. Nevertheless, it a truly nice hotel, but next time I would consider staying at the Four Seasons unless I would be offered a good deal and guarantee of a great service.

First the pros :
- Location : excellent, right in the heart of Old Town in a quiet street
- Staff : very helpful and well trained, as you would expect from Mandarin Oriental
- Food : breakfast was excellent and varied, and dinner truly exceptional.
- Room : decently sized, modern, and very comfty beds
- Meeting rooms : very athmospheric and great : ideal hotel for business meetings!

Cons
- it is a pitty that the hotel has no swimming pool, given that their only competitor in town, the Four Seasons has a great pool.
- A/C was not working during my 2 night stay, and was not fixed during my stay either, despite me contacting the staff multiple times (they only provided a cooling fan).. Temperature in the room was more than 25 °C, so almost impossible to have a comfortable night of sleep. No room switch or any kind of compensation was offered to make up for this major inconvenience. This is not what you would expect from a Mandarin Oriental hotel.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank LuxTravelExpert
MO_Prague, General Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Prague, responded to this reviewResponded January 11, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking your time and sharing your review with the TripAdvisor community.

I regret to hear that we did not meet your expectations. I am sorry for the inconvenience and I would be grateful for the opportunity to discuss your experience into detail at your earliest convenience.

Please kindly contact me directly by telephone on +420 233 088 701 or by e-mail at the address wanzinger@mohg.com.

With best regards,

Reviewed January 8, 2013

We stayed here in December for 3 nights and from the moment we arrived we were wowed! It couldn't have been more perfect for us. Our suite was extremely luxurious and so clean it looked as if no one had ever been there before us. The bathroom was amazing! Nothing was too much trouble and we found all the MO staff to be quite delightful and friendly - it's nice to see smiling faces especially at breakfast. We dined in the restaurant one evening and this too was a very high standard. We loved everything about the hotel and would highly recommend it for a special treat.
The location is also brilliant, just a short walk from Charles Bridge and all the main attractions.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank ShootingStar100
MO_Prague, General Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Prague, responded to this reviewResponded January 8, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for writing such a lovely review of your recent stay. Your generous feedback is a wonderful encouragement to my team. We sincerely hope to welcome you back to Mandarin Oriental, Prague again.

My kindest regards,

Reviewed January 6, 2013

The Mandarin Oriental is in a great location on the side of Prague of the Castle. It is very centrally located as the hotel is 2 minutes from the Charles Bridge. From the hotel, it does not take long to get to any of the major attractions and you can walk everywhere. Its located in an old monastery and the renovations have been fantastic. The rooms are absolutely massive and have all of the modern amenities that you could want. The staff at the hotel are top class as you would expect from the Mandarin Oriental. When we checked in, they had a lovely gift for our daughter and in the room they put a nice basket of children's shampoo, bath gel, soap and other toiletries for children. That was a really nice touch. On the first night, we had a problem with the crib in our room for our daughter and the staff came up immediately and fixed the situation. To our surprise and our daughter's delight, the next day when we got back from sightseeing, they had placed another gift in the crib for our daughter. The staff were lovely and went out of their way to make sure our stay was comfortable and enjoyable. When we go back to Prague, this is the only hotel we'd stay in. It was fantastic.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
MO_Prague, General Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Prague, responded to this reviewResponded January 6, 2013

Dear guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post such a review regarding your stay at Mandarin Oriental, Prague. I am delighted to learn how much you enjoyed your stay with us, and that the facilities as well as the level of service exceeded your expectations.

I am sincerely honoured to receive such a fantastic comment, and you can rest assured we will do our very best to deserve such high praises.

We are very much looking forward to welcome you and your family back at our beautiful hotel.

Best wishes,

Reviewed January 5, 2013

The hotel used to be a monastery and this explains why there is a tranquil atmosphere throughout the entire compound. We love the location as it is not far from some of the most famous attractions and yet it tucked away in a quiet location where we can find peace. All major attractions are within walking distance from the hotel (up to 30 minutes).

Staff are in general nice and rooms are well equipped and well maintained. We had lunch in the hotel restaurant and the food was superb. Later we had cocktails in the bar next to the restaurant, which was good as well.

Everything seems good, but I still have a strange feeling that something is missing. It might be due to the lack of guests. Most of the time we didn't see any other guests at all in the public area. I even suspect that at the time of our stay, there might be even more staff than guests. There is something eerie about this hotel. Service is good but not warm.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Y002Y

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking your time to write such a positive review regarding your experience at Mandarin Oriental, Prague. I am thrilled you enjoyed all aspects of the hotel, especially hotel‘s location, historical ambience and Essensia resturant.

Once again thank you very much for your recommendation; I truly hope to welcome you back to our “little jewel“ in the future.

Warm regards,

Reviewed January 4, 2013

We stayed over the festive season. Having considered other luxury hotels in Prague, we chose Mandarin Oriental based on our positive experiences on other MO stays in Asia. Before our stay, I had made some inquiries by email to the MO email and they were always responded to promptly. Upon arrival, we were quickly whisked to reception for check in and offered tea and biscuits whilst waiting for our keys. Our superior room was compact but it had all the amenities to make our stay comfortable. The hotel is surrounded by cafes, restaurants within a short stroll and Charles Bridge was also a short walk away.

Cons: As noted by other reviewers, wifi is not free (22 euros/24 hours). Given the room rates charged by MO, it would have been nice if complimentary wifi is offered, as is the case with many other hotels we stayed in during our Europe trip. Nonetheless, many restaurants and cafes around the area had free wifi so this was not too much of an issue. In the morning the corridor was very noisy, we do not know if there were other guests moving around, or if it was the housekeepers, but slamming doors and heavy footsteps were the norm every morning.
We had a late flight on departure and requested a late checkout at reception, instead of offering a couple of hours extra which is the norm for almost all hotels we've stayed, we were immediately told that there would be a charge for an extension. In the end, we were offered an extra hour without charge. This was rather disappointing and not what we expect from MO. On another occasion I asked one of the bellboys how to get to the MO gardens and I think it was a language barrier but he said he had to check with someone, a few minutes later I saw him helping another guest with their bags and he never came back to me with a response. Oh well, so I never saw the gardens but looking at the hotel website, I think it would've been beautiful.
Overall, it is a lovely hotel and in a fantastic location and we did enjoy our stay despite some minor issues.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Teddybear00
MO_Prague, General Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Prague, responded to this reviewResponded January 17, 2013

Dear Client,

I am glad to hear that you have enjoyed your stay, including the lovely ambience of our hotel as well as its beautiful location.

I can assure you that your note regarding the wifi charge, the inconvenience in the morning and the misunderstanding with our bellboy is well taken indeed and I would like to thank you for bringing this comment to our attention. Our main goal is always to delight and satisfy our guests.

We sincerely hope to welcome you back to Mandarin Oriental, Prague again.

My kindest regards,