“Not a 5 star”

Ranked #26 of 649 Hotels in Prague
Atlanta, Georgia
“Not a 5 star”
Reviewed August 13, 2012

We recently spent four nights at this hotel and were very dissappointed. I admit my expectations were high, but I don't think inappropriate considering we were paying approximately $1000.00 per night for two rooms. Our 3 college aged kids shared one room, which was suppose to be a triple. We paid an extra 150 euros per night for a cot. My husband and I had to change rooms twice. The first room was over the service entrance and we were woken up at 5am by the beeping of garbage truck and other deliveries. The air conditioning did not work properly in the second room. When we mentioned this to the front desk, they acknowledged that was a problem with that particular room. Then why did they move us there when there were other rooms available? Other complaints:1. Breakfast was the exact same every day; 2. there is no inviting common space and really lobby at all; 3 the outdoor dining space is right next to the car valet area; the spa charges to use the sauna and hot tub even if you are having a $200 treatment.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank Liza6165

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (192)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
New York
Reviewed August 12, 2012

Great service in a beautiful neighborhood make doing business in Prague a joy. It has everything you'd want from an upscale hotel except a pool. Service is doting. Food at the restaurant is an eclectic mix of Asian, Indian and local Czech. Exactly what you'd expect from a Mandarin property.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
MO_Prague, General Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Prague, responded to this review, August 23, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your exprience with Mandarin Oriental, Prague with the TripAdvisor community. We were proud to have our service described as doting, and thank you for all your other warm comments. I trully hope to welcome you back to our hotel in the future, perhaps on a leisure trip next time.

With my best regards,

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 9, 2012

I was here for 3 nights and cannot really fault the place, the staff are outstanding and offer an incredibly high level of service. The rooms are perfect and the hotel's location is ideal. Regular users of the Mandarin chain will be used to these exceptional standards and a stay here will not disappoint.

2 Thank HenryAbott
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for sharing your views of your recent stay at Mandarin Oriental, Prague. I am delighted to read that your stay with us was comfortable and pleasant. Our guest’s satisfaction – manifested in reviews such as yours - is our best reward.

Thank you again; I truly hope to welcome you back to Mandarin Oriental, Prague in the future.

Sincerely yours,

london
Reviewed August 7, 2012

I just came back from a 5 night business trip. The Mandarin Oriental in Prague is in an excellent location in the Old Town. It benefits from having a nice outdoor space so on warm dry days you can eat breakfast/dinner or have drinks there. it is right by the entrance of the hotel so you look on to parked cars or taxis constantly pulling up. the staff in the hotel were friendly, professional and helpful throughout the trip. A decent breakfast buffet. The room service was fine but nothing to talk about an expensive. limp lettuce ceasar salad with no dressing and dry chicken. Also took over an hour from ordering it to it being delivered to my room. Spa massage was good but very expensive. I was given a room in the attic of the spa, it was clean and with a comfortable bed but the room was very hot as it is an attic room,no decent air con and so so noisy from the tram that went by all the time, the bathroom was big but teh shower had bad pressure and took ages before hot water came and the worst part of the attic spa room is that you had to take a lift walk through a corridor, take another lift and then walk up another flight of stairs or use the spa lift but only is spa hours. A serious pain each time. No swimming pool . The design in the hotel restaurant and bar feels a bit cheesy and dated considering the prices are top dollar. This hotel is fine for business and has good internet service & high speed connection. I would not want to stay here for pleasure. If i came back I would make sure that I was not in the spa part of the hotel. Prague is beautiful, people are lovely and Prague is well worth visiting.

Room Tip: do not choose a room in the spa building. especially not the attic room.
1 Thank georgina14
Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for taking your time and sharing your extensive review with the Trip Advisor community.

First, I am happy to know that you have enjoed many aspects of your stay with us, especially our service. Second, I regret to hear that our room service did not meet your expectations; rest assured that we take all guest comments seriously, and have already improved our quality check system prior to delivery so that food always arrives in top condition.

Finally, with respect to your room, due to the historical nature of the building we were not able to build a lift leading up to the top floor; nonetheless, it is the opinion of the vast majority of guests that the top-floor rooms in the Spa building make up for the slight inconvenience by their lovely rustic atmosphere and in one case, a beautiful sunken bathroom. As our property comprises four different buildings, there is a great variety of rooms available and it is only a slight exaggeration to say that no two are alike; we would be sure to choose one that better fits your needs should you honour us by choosing Mandarin Oriental, Prague for a future stay.

Thank you very much again for your helpful comments. Have a lovely rest of the summer and should your travels bring you to Prague again, we would be happy to welcome you back.

Best wishes,

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 6, 2012

I stayed here for work but it would be a great base for any purpose of stay - excellent location. The room was very comfortable, the twice daily maid service was discreet and attentive. Fresh fruit in my room was replenished daily. Breakfast was plentiful, varied and very tasty. Good bar & restaurant. I didn't try the spa but heard it's wonderful. All the staff were sweet and polite.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for writing such a lovely review of your stay. Your generous feedback is a wonderful encouragement to my team – we especially appreciate your ”sweet“ comment. We sincerely hope to welcome you back to Mandarin Oriental, Prague again.

My kindest regrads,

Mexico
Reviewed August 1, 2012

During our visit to Prague with my wife and three kids we considered that the MO would be a nice option due to its location. When arrived the receiption by the staff was amazing; they made a great effort in order for us to feel at home. When arriving to our room (by the way we were upgraded), they really paid attention to those little details that make a difference. For instance, they included all kind of amenities for my kid of 1.5 years old (shampoos, special bath robes, pop corns).
The recommendations of the concierge with respect to restaurants were also great as we were able to skip those tourist traps.
The breakfast and the great service of the staff at the restaurant also made a big difference. The service was amazing and the food was also great.
I would say that the only part of the hotel that could be subject to improvement is the fitness area. Although the gym is fine, there is no one to assist you. That is a very little insignifant thing.
Finally, the rooms are great (spacious, clean and well decored).
This is a great city with great people with a great hotel, located in a very beutiful area of Prague.
I will definetly consider this hotel in a future stay in this beautiful city.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for your enthusiastic and detailed review. it is extremely gratifying to hear that you and your family appreciated the little child-friendly touches we are happy to provide to our little guests.

I am delighted to read that you have enjoyed so many aspects of your stay, from your room to dining and concierge services, and last but not least, our lovely city - Prague. Your generous comments are greatly appreciated by my entire team.

I would once again like to thank you for your time and effort, and sincerely hope to welcome you back to Mandarin Oriental, Prague soon.

Sincerely yours,

Werner Anzinger,
General Manager, Mandarin Oriental, Prague
London
Reviewed July 29, 2012

This branch of the Mandarin Oriental chain is a welcome oasis of restrained elegance in this glorious city. It is unusually quiet yet very central, set in the Little Quarter , a stones throw from the Castle and Charles Bridge, but in a tranquil bubble of calm. The building is a renovated monastery, and many wonderful archaeological finds excavated during the renovation are displayed, both artefacts in cases and also original structures displayed beneath glass floors in the Spa. Speaking of which...... the Spa experiences are out of the world, as are the prices! The rituals and the treatments themselves are excellent,and include diagnostic exercise and diet suggestions .... definitely worth it for an occasional treat. There are also free Yoga sessions every morning in the quiet clam of the spa area. Breakfasts are very very good, and the cocktail bar extremely inviting. The restaurant menu is possibly a little over-styled, with Eastern fusion cooking, but this can be a light and healthy alternative after all the heavy, fatty food on offer around the rest of Prague. Without exception the staff are charming and helpful. With welcome extras- fresh fruit in the rooms, iPod docks, dvd players, but a disappointingly narrow TV channel choice- 8 sports channels,?!, 5 news channels but no drama or art channels.- what about BBC Entertainment of Classic TV etc? There are no views in the Spa wing bedrooms, a narrow street with windows opposite, but the rooms themselves are comfortable and elegant.(Except for the rather ugly wardrobes), with cool parquet flooring.Classy marble bathrooms and beautiful double-ended baths, big enough for two , and excellent aromatherapy toiletries offer a pampering treat. I loved the Sleep Spray, and suffering jet lag , this sprayed on my pillow after an excellent de-stress massage meant I had the best night's sleep for a long time.

Room Tip: The Monastery rooms have no views and are a little way away from the main hotel, but are very peacef...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Jojojoy
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for choosing our hotel for your recent stay in Prague and posting such an articulate, informative and generous review following your stay with us. I am thrilled that you have enjoyed so many aspects of your stay, from our location to the historical highlights located throughout the hote, to our breakfast and Spa offerings.

If I may, I would only like to clarify one detail: Our restaurant, Essensia, does not offer fusion cooking but a two-part menu – updated Czech cuisine and classic, straightforward Asian classics, both prepared by highly trained and skilled chefs who emphasize quality ingredients and authentic flavours above all else.

With respect to the choice of in-room TV channels, I understand that it may appear limited but the programmes you mention are not available via public broadcast licenses in the Czech Republic, and thus cannot be offered by any Czech hotel. However, we are constantly monitoring the market and will be adding more programme choices as they become available..

I would once again thank you for your time, and am very much looking forward to welcoming you back to Mandarin Oriental, Prague soon.

My kindest regards,