Hotel U Divadla
$262
$203
Official Site
  • Breakfast included
All reviewscity centretram stopbuy ticketspublic transporthotel restaurant ismini bar in the roomminute walk from the hotelrecommend this hotelquiet areacharles bridgebreakfast selectiontram systemvery nice hotelvisit praguespacious roomshort breaklate check
FilterAll languages
Reviewed April 18, 2012

We have spent four night at this hotel at excellent price found at one of popular reservation websites. Price was lower than for the hostel, however this hotel - was just what I was expected from 3* hotel. Spacious room, comfortable bed and quiet place to sleep. In sourroundings you may find several places to get out and enjoy local quisine. You will get to the city center within ca 20 min.

1  Thank KStef
Reviewed March 15, 2012

While planning this trip we read a lot of reviews, but two convinced me this was worth a try and we were so glad we stayed here (February 2012). There are a lot of whining reviews about the distance from center city and how far the tram stop is from the hotel, PLEASE do not listen to these pompous individuals. The hotel sits in zone 4, Branik approximately five miles from the center of Old Town. The tram (#17) will take you straight to the Charles Bridge in 15 minutes and the tram stop is two blocks from the hotel entrance. The neighborhood is blue collar working class, the hotel is a local dinner spot on Friday nights so they get pretty busy. The rooms were large by European standards, comfortable beds, limited TV (8 stations; 2 Czech, 1 EuroSport in English and/or German, the rest German), clean, new bathrooms, clean towels daily, enough closet space for our clothes and storage for our suitcases. There is a restaurant downstairs that has excellent food as we ate here 6 out of the seven nights we stayed - good size portions, Pilsner on tap, Kozel dark beer in bottles, serves two good Czech white wines and you should try the Godet Pear Cognac (they sold us a full bottle for $30 US, it's 62 EU on Godet website). Most of our dinners were about $24 - $29 for both my wife and myself including a wine and a Kozel. Jon at the bar is about 23, speaks very good English, passable German and is very friendly and helpful, the woman, Jane she said her name was, has limited English but communicates well through sign language (pointing and miming, not real signing). We felt very comfortable in this environment, more so than in any hotel we have ever stayed in, regardless of the city or country. Staying at the Hotel U Divadla can enrich your stay in Prague and give you a warm fond memory, riding the tram to and from center city exposes you to the life of the Czech citizen. There is a shopping mall about two miles on bus #198 that has outstanding prices on chocolate (at Tesco), clothing, shoes - sorry, no glass or crystal here. There is a pizza place around the corner from the hotel and an Italian restaurant near the bus station. Penny Market is convenient for water, tissues, any personal items you may need, and there is a bakery across from the hotel. Enjoy your stay!

6  Thank DanyJames
Reviewed March 3, 2012

The hotel was ok but in a very undesirable area, the rooms are kept clean but I found 1 of the hotel receptionists very unhelpful following an incident.

We had Irish travellers staying in the next room and on our third night they got very drunk and around midnight there was a man knocking very loudly on their door, shouting abuse and to be let in, a lady was hysterical telling him to go away, she eventually let him in and then for the next 3 hrs all hell let loose, you could hear him abusing her and so much noise banging against the wall doors slamming and lots of shouting and screaming, it was so frightening, and I ended up crying. It finished around 3.15am but I just couldn't sleep as I was expecting it to start again. It really did upset me so much.

In the morning when i went to the reception I asked why wasn't it dealt with, where was the security or management? ...all they could say was sorry and they have gone now!!!...There was only 1 young lady on the reception that night and she did ring the police but they didn't come out. I said about the manager and they just shrugged their shoulders and said again, well they have gone now. We was leaving that morning (thank goodness) on our departure the receptionist said you had 1 bottle of water to pay for, I looked at her and said after all that we went through last night I think you should wipe that off, she was very cross ans said you drunk that water! I had left a small tip for the cleaning lady in the bedroom, I said take that, she was still wanting a few more CK...I just couldn't believe we put up with a very stressful night and she was quibbling about ..probably 10p! ...she said she would have to get the manager....what!!...I just had to leave as i would have lost it. She said she didn't want to get in trouble with the management. I told her to get him to write to us, you have our address! anyway our taxi arrived and I cannot be more pleased to be home. Never again!

After saying all that, this was our 3rd trip to Prague and the other 2 holidays were splendid, it's such a beautiful city, I would never stay the in suburbs again, it looked a bit like Beirut!

Room Tip: Don't stay here
3  Thank JulesHemelHempstead
Reviewed February 27, 2012

I booked this place via expedia. I had to choose from this one and another one in the centre but 3 stars. I was fooled by the the nice photos and the 4 star rating.The hotel is far away from the centre (it is zone 4 -Branik area - check a transport map of Prague). You have to walk to the tram stop (5-7 minutes); the name of the station is Pristaviste -it takes you around 15 min to get to the centre. The hotel is in an not very nice area - grey blocks of flats, graffiti and to be honest it doesn't look very safe. The rooms are small, I booked a double room but actually there are 2 beds push one into another to make a big bed (we requested another room but they said all of them are the same) the TV has only 7 or 8 channels (2 in german and the rest in Czech), in the bathroom there are only 4 sachets of shampoo and 2 small bars of soap (no shower gel - so bring your own). There is a bottle of mineral water, over priced of course - 78 crowns ( in the shops is 15 crowns). No kettle, teas and coffee. The quality of the food from breakfast is poor (it looks like cheap food bought from the Penny market - just outside the hotel), but is plenty and various. The interior of the restaurant and reception supposed to be art nouveau but it looks just old and not very modern. When I got there i realized why it was so cheap. Pros: the staff is friendly and helpful, there is wi-fi, there is a leaflet with info about travelling, local attractions, bus prices in the room, the area is quiet (not on a main road with loads of traffic) with local shops (a Czech bakery, coffee shops, bars and restaurants, flower shops etc), a few parking spaces outside the hotel, bathrooms nice and clean every, safety box in the cupboard. Not a 4 stars hotel! 3 stars?!? Maybe!

1  Thank bandutzu b
Reviewed February 26, 2012

We stayed during off-peak season in Hotel Divadla in Prague. The service and standard of the hotel (room) and staff was very good. Staff helped in advance to reserve a taxi-shuttle to the hotel. Rooms were cleaned daily, towels changed frequently. The size of the room was good - four people could actually fit quite well.
The breakfast buffet was good (included good selection of warm and cold food.) The Restaurant within the hotel is a good alternative to typical Prague food and decently priced. The Hotel is located 15min tram-ride/ or Bus-Metro trip from the city centre, which was acceptable for us. Think of some coins to get your first bus-tickets from the driver (especially when arriving at the weekend. The only minus was a very unstable thermostat in the shower, which almost cooked our kids...) We would definitely book this hotel again.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family