“I can't recommend it.”

Ranked #66 of 646 Specialty Lodging in Prague
NJ
“I can't recommend it.”
Reviewed June 29, 2007

I booked this place in advance, based on photos on the Web site (ha) and the reviews on this site. But when I arrived, I was totally disheartened. I reserved a private double room (two single beds on either side of the room that you can’t move together) without a bathroom or shower. The hall leading to the room was dingy and depressing. The room itself was fairly clean, very tiny, and smelled horrendously of perfumed cleaner. In fact, the entire hostel smelled of this. It was so bad, that when I went to take a nap, I woke up stuffy, with a headache, and swollen eyes. I had to go out and look for a new hostel. That's not to mention the smelly bathrooms (shared by many) with no windows. I didn't want to step foot in them. This place was ridiculously overpriced and the rooms looked nothing like in the photos. Later, I came back, after finding another room, and asked to give up my room (expecting I wouldn’t get my money back and just my luck! Another couple was at the counter asking for a private double room. I said they could have mine, but the guy behind the counter said no. So I was stuck, and the refused to refund my money. The staff doesn’t smile, nor do they care about being very helpful.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — The smell, the bathrooms, the staff.
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled solo
2 Thank VitaNJ

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Philadelphia
Reviewed June 3, 2007

We came to Hostel Tyn because we were fleeing the hellish Hostel Aldivia, and we just walked in and booked the triple room in person.

Hostel Tyn is inexpensive for Prague, but has a great location right behind the Old Town Square, but is still clean and quiet. There isn't any hostel social life to speak of, but the location is worth it.

The hostel doesn't have any computers or telephones that you can use, which is a drawback, as we had to use the somewhat priceyinternet at Bohemia Bagel,a few blocks away. I'd recommend it anyway, as it's hard to find someplace so inexpensive in the center that isn't a flophouse.

• Liked — Location and quiet
  • Disliked — No internet
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with friends
2 Thank P0ssible
Kansas
Reviewed April 28, 2007

I stayed at this Hostel over spring break with 3 friends, and had a great experience. It is very clean - we had a room for four, and other than the fact that the bathroom was in the hall, we felt like we had our own hotel room. The entire place is very well kept, convenient to get into and out of, and with staff manning the front door, a key to your external hall, your room, and your locker within your room, I felt like there was plenty of security.

The location was amazing, literally a few hundred yards from the old town square, but it was tucked away from all of the bustle enough to feel quiet - a good respite from some of the crazy tourist areas.

At the time we stayed there the price was 400 crowns per night per person, which is a very reasonable price - about $20 - especially considering the location.
The staff won't exactly go out of their way to be warm and welcoming, but that is fine - they are not at all mean, and just let guests mind their own business.

I very highly recommend the Tyn!

• Liked — Location, Cleanliness, Convenience
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled with friends
Midlands, UK
Reviewed January 27, 2007

I was recommended this Hostel by my friends parents who had been staying in a nearby 4* hotel.

Where to start?! Ok, the rooms are very very basic - just a bed, cupboard with locks, power points and a mirror. But the rooms are very clean and well maintained. There is a basic shower room and toilets, again very clean and basic. The staff are friendly, didn't really need to ask them much to be honest.

However, the real winner with this place is its location and price. Mere minutes from the Old town square, in a quaint and safe location, only about £7ish per night for a 4-bed room. Lots of little cafes and restaurants tucked away nearby, close to the beautiful opera house, within walking distance of wenceslas square. Superb.

Great for anyone looking for just a comfy place to kip in and a base from which to explore this most amazing city. Oh, there is a really good Indian/Thali restaurant just below the hostel - very good and cheap food if you can't be bothered to wander in the early eve (though it closes quite early).

• Liked — Location and price
  • Disliked — very very basic
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled with friends