“Amazing Hostel!”

Ranked #67 of 645 Specialty Lodging in Prague
Portland, Oregon
“Amazing Hostel!”
Reviewed August 1, 2011

I arrived via public transportation and thoroughly enjoyed meandering through the Old Town streets trying to find the hostel. Once I located the TYN sign on the main street, I had a smooth check-in with one of the great hostel staffers. No matter which currency you pay with, exact change will be appreciated.

I ended up sharing a four-bed room with three other friends and we were all pleased to find we had comfortable beds (no bunk beds), each with a reading light and night stand. In addition, each person had a large locker available in the room (locks and keys provided). The restrooms were clean and even with a full house I never had to wait for a toilet or shower. The hostel felt very secure with a controlled front door, a locking hall door and a lock on the room door. I especially liked that I did not have to leave my key at the front desk when coming or going.

This hostel has an amazing kitchen - probably the best hostel kitchen I have ever used! It was clean, well stocked, and large enough for several people to be in at once. There are about five relatively new computers available for use 24 hours a day and in the computer area and common room free wifi is available.

The location and price can't be beat and I would definitely recommend this hostel to budget conscious travelers visiting Prague.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Sodertalje, Sweden
Reviewed June 19, 2011

We stayed at Hostel Tyn for three nights. Two were planned but the third came due to a train strike. They happily gave us a room for the third night. We didn't have to bring sheets and they cleaned our room after our departure. Free internet was so good though we had to stay in touch with our friends at home through Facebook. To be able to look for stuff to do was also easy with the five computers in the common room. We stored our breakfast in the two fridges in the collective kitchen and a tiny supermarket was just around the corner. The thing WE liked the most was that it was so sheep for being located just a two minute walk from the Old Town Square. I totally recommend staying at Hostel Tyn!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed June 6, 2011

The hostel is in a great location and easy walk to most everything or easy access to public transport. The rooms are clean and it was pretty quiet. Computers available and wifi down in the common area. If you are looking for a safe, quiet, clean place to stay in the middle of town it's great. Staff wasn't overly friendly but they weren't rude either. More like hey this is my job and I'm punching the clock. I've stayed in some fabulous places (7 Hostel Sant'Agnello) and some dumps as well (Hotel Souvenir Florence) and Hostel Tyn is neither fabulous nor a dump. It's nothing special but you'll only be sleeping here since there's so much to do in Prague. It's a good value - think Super 8.

Room Tip: Be specific about what room you want.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
Doha, Qatar
Reviewed January 2, 2011

This place has it all. It's clean, comfy, secure, and has the best location money can buy. In fact, it's super affordable. I stayed in a 4-bed dorm with all single beds (no bunks!) and each person got their own locker. Bring your own lock. Stay here if you'll be backpacking in Prague!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
Bridgetown, Barbados
Reviewed October 27, 2010

I would highly recommend this hostel! The location was perfect, only seconds from Old Town Square (literally 100 steps) where there are plenty of restaurants and things to do. It is down a small alley so best to walk with someone if you're female. It is moments from wenceslas square where there are more commercial shops if required. Very close the Opera House. The hostel itself was very clean, the staff were friendly/helpful and it was very comfortable. The common room was quiet but nice with a couple of couches and a large TV. There are about 5 computers and the internet is fast. I was traveling with my girlfriend and we felt very safe personally and in regards to our belongings. The rooms were warm and you can open your window to get some fresh air. The showers were superb, powerful and very hot!

Restaurant U Spirku is a fantastic restaurant, my girlfriend had the 1/4 duck with red cabbage and it was the best meal of the holiday, she loved it! Grab a german sausage sandwich from one of the fast food huts on the north end of Wenceslas Square. They are cheap and really yummy! Also grab food from the vendors in the Old Town Square where there is a great selection of food, treats and local souvenirs.

All round very cheap and well worth the travel.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank coconutsandbananas
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed July 28, 2009

Hostel Tyn is a pretty basic hostel minutes away from Old Town Square. It was great being near the action and being able to wander back the hostel in the middle of the day to rest up or use the Internet. And I liked being on a quiet street/courtyard.

The hostel has lots of floors, so if walking up and down stairs is an issue for you beware. The dorm room was basic - no bunks. Bedding provided and lockers for your stuff (storage room downstairs). Bathrooms down the hall - I feel like there wasn't ever a wait or if there was, I would use a bathroom on another floor. You're really paying for the location with this place. The crowd seemed like a mix of various ages.

Downstairs, there is a dining room/lounge, kitchen and Internet stations. Some of the machines felt a bit slow but the service was free. Typically, at least one machine was free or if I waited, it wasn't for long.

Didn't really interact with the staff but there were lots of brochures out and lots of info on Kafka (with some funny spelling and grammar mistakes).

I didn't care for the Indian restaurant in the courtyard - too bland but there are tons of other places to eat nearby. I really liked Maitrea - a vegan/veg restaurant around the corner on Tynska Ulicka. Also enjoyed the sandwich/grill place I found on Masna which served shots of booze.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled solo
Forde, Norway
Reviewed June 29, 2009

Simple and easy, cheap and central. Its neighbour with my favorite bar in the world, and theres even a vegetarian/indian lunch cafe next to it.

I brought my class of 33 students here. We had a great time.

• Stayed March 2008