“Amazing in every way”

Appia Hotel Residences
Ranked #11 of 648 Hotels in Prague
Reviewed July 27, 2011

Appia Residences is one of the best hotels I've ever stayed in Europe - except a single problem, which I will explain at the end of my review.

Firstly, about the location. It is in a very quiet and unspoiled part of the city. It is close to German and US embassies, 5-6 minutes walk from the tram station. Charles Bridge is also close. The metro station is one stop away if you use the tram. You can walk to the Prague Castle in 10 minutes. However, if you will mostly visit sites on the other side of the river, it may not be the best location.

The rooms are extremely clean. Both the room and the bathroom were very spacious. The hotel and the surroundings are very quiet and the hotel has a very beautiful garden. The weather was great when I visited so I didn't feel the need to use air conditioning.

The only problem I had with the hotel was during checkout. I requested a taxi to go to the train station. After the receptionist phoned the taxi service, I saw a poster on the door about "luxury" taxi services. I learned from the receptionist that I would have to pay much higher than a standard taxi service and it is a "fixed" rate. I decided to take the tram instead and I was in the train station in about 15 minutes. Don't let them cheat you by their "luxury" taxi service. Prague is full of tourist traps, so be careful all the time.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled solo

Reviewed July 3, 2011

The apartment: If this hotel had air conditioning it would be perfect but we can't fault it in any way as they provided us with 2 fans and ensured that the grassed area around our apartment was always watered down and kept cool.
We were upgraded to an apartment (room 205) on arrival at no extra cost (had booked a double room on Booking.com for around £70 per night)! It was on the ground floor so very convenient as we had a baby buggy and a toddler. The apartment had a dining kitchen and a huge bedroom with a super king size bed and an additional sofa bed. The bathroom was large and had a bathtub which was essential to bathe our 2 young kids. I believe the double rooms only have shower cubicles. They provided a baby cot also. The kitchen had 2 electric cooking hobs, a kettle, cooking utensils, cutlery etc. No microwave.
The room was cool if we left the windows open.

Daily housekeeping was a real bonus and it felt great to come back to a spick and span room every evening.

The location: Excellent. 12 minutes walk downhill to Charles bridge, 12 minutes walk uphill in the other direction to Prague castle. 20 minute walk to the funicular railway which takes you up to Pterin hill. Very safe residential area, with a few embassies on the same street. Lots of eating places within 10-15 minutes walking distance. In fact there is a pub just on the left of the hotel entrance as you walk out!

The staff: super! Very helpful and very friendly with the kids. No need to do too much research before you go as the reception staff will give you all the info you need.

Meals: Plentiful buffet breakfast provided from 7 am to 10 am including some cooked items (bacon, eggs, baked beans). No other meals but as I said earlier, pub around the corner, and reception happy to order take away pizza etc. for you if you are too tired to go out. They do have a selection of wines and a bar/ sitting area where you can drink. We took a bottle of wine to our room.

Internet: Speedy wifi provided free of cost in each room!

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed June 29, 2011

I stayed 4 nights in a two bedroom two bathroom apartment with 3 other family members,
and could not fault this hotel on anything. Our accommodations were clean, comfortable. and quiet. Hotel reception was friendly and helpful and the breakfast service was superior.
Location was within easy walking distance of the Charles Bridge and major tourist attractions. If you're going to visit Prague you won't be disappointed by staying at this hotel.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed June 19, 2011

Excellent experience from start to finish.

Reception staff spoke very good English (& German). Handy as my Czech isn't great ! Were very helpful and informative when we first arrived providing maps and throughout our stay providing directions and suggesting places to visit.

Our Room (101) was clean and comfortable. Would have been nice to have had air conditioning in the room - it was rather hot at night but this is only a minor issue and was far outweighed by all of the positives. Nice little private patio area outside our room with table and chairs, free wifi in the room and decent sized bathroom which included toiletaries (shampoo, shower gel etc).

Hotel is small (13 rooms, I think) and is situated in lovely quite part of town. There are a lot of embassies in the surrounding streets (American, German, Italian and Romainian) and it felt completely safe walking back to hotel at night. However it is only a 10 min walk to the Charles Bridge in one direction and the Castle/cathedral in the other so very well located for major attractions.

Top tip : there is a Zabka convenience store literally just round the corner from the hotel in a street called Nerudova. Teriffic for buying essentials for room. eg 1.5l water for 14Kr (60p) and cokes etc were half the price of the kiosks in tourist areas.

If I return to Prague, this would be my first choice of hotel again and I have been recommending it to friends and family.

Airport Transfers : We used Prague Airport Transfers. Booked taxi online 24hours beforehand and were very good. Were met by our driver just outside the customs hall holding a name board. A 25-30 min drive to hotel cost 560kr (£21).

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank AndyG6
Reviewed May 29, 2011

I stayed in another hotel in Prague for 4 nights. Found it horrible. So decided to shift and as always consulted Trip Advisor. We loved it. We had booked a small suite for 3 persons. If you are travelling with family this is a great place to stay.
This side of town is great fun too. Lots of small cafes, restraunts, eateries and grocery stores around.
The only disadvantage is that the hotel is located on a hill ( the other side of this hill is the Prage Castle !! ). So if you don't like going upwards after meals etc. then this could be the only disadvantage I could see.
On the same road as the US Embassy there is 'Prague on Segway' tours office. We tried it and it was fun.
I recommend this hotel whole heartedly.

Room Tip: Rooms on the inside are quiter
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed May 23, 2011

I booked this hotel for my boss to travel on a business trip with his wife and a colleague. Booked the suite and it was a two-bedroom suite. He absolutely LOVED the location, said it was by far the best hotel he's ever been to in Europe on business. He is coming back with his kids next time and booking exactly the same hotel and room. The location was near everything, on a quiet street but around the corner was the livelihood he was looking for when he needed a drink to calm down after all the work. Overall, a great choice.

Room Tip: Get a suite, cuts costs!
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed May 12, 2011

The Appia is located close to the street leading up to the beautiful monastery on the hill and down to the Charles bridge and its environs. It is quiet and well-appointed. My husband and I especially appreciated the elevator up to the breakfast on the 4th floor of the hotel as our old knees were challenged by all the walking needed to see Prague correctly. The staff (especially exuberant Jane and helpful Daniel) had excellent English and were eager to make our stay in the city as good as it could be.

The Wifi connection (once we figured it out) was one of the best we have experienced in a hotel. Our view out of the 2nd floor room overlooked the garden. We asked for a non-smoking room which was provided. However, one night we could smell the smoke from the room below us. Otherwise, we were both more than satisfied with the Appia

Room Tip: Our double de Luxe room overlooked the garden.
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple