Hotel Modra Ruze
$119
$115
Cancelon
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsexcellent locationold town squareastronomic clockgreat hotelwalking distancenice bathrooma small boutique hotelcentral heatingcold cutsstay at this hotel againair conditioninggreat roomthe hotel is cleancontinental breakfastfive minute walkrooms are bigspecial thanks
FilterAll languages
Reviewed October 15, 2009

Yes, the location was fantastic, but that's about the only good thing I have to say about this hotel. The beds are uncomfortable, even the nonsmoking rooms smell of smoke, getting even a weak, intermittant wifi signal was cause for great rejoicing, and the pool that hotel guests were supposed to have access to has been closed for months. Oh, and hours of Frank Sinatra play from somewhere down in the courtyard each evening. Why Sinatra? Why hours of only Sinatra? I will never know. Nor will I ever be able to listen to Sinatra again.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank KateinSF
Reviewed October 1, 2009

I love Prague. I go there for the city, not the hotel. But of course I apreciate a good nights sleep. And the Modra Ruze is. But it's not great.
Compared to similar priced hotels it's really not that stylish. Old furniture, worn down rooms and smells like an afterparty. I smoke, but even my car smells less of old cigarette butts. Even though, it's a hotel - you can get your sleep in spacious rooms, wake up dead centre in town and catch a great breakfast before you hit the streets.
Don't bother interacting with the clerks. During my five day stay I think I met them all. And obviously none of them really want to work in a service line of business. Even the door man kept looking suspicious at me after my five days of walking in and out of the hotel doors.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank ulriks1
Reviewed September 18, 2009

We were not expecting to stay at this hotel as we had booked and paid for the Floor Hotel around the corner. After arriving in Prague in the semi-dark, we discovered that the Floor Hotel had been closed! We could barely read the dimly lit message on a door that said we were redirected to the Modra Ruze, which fortunately was very close by (and also in a fantastic location - only 50/100metres to the Old Town Square). Naturally we were somewhat apprehensive and our anxiety was not dampened by the very cool response we received from the concierge...curt would be the word to use...certainly unwelcoming. We were given our key and directions to the lift with a cursory point in the correct direction, and discovered a pleasant room with a very clean, new bathroom. Unfortunately the air con was not working, the whole place had an odour of cigarette smoke and the requested king bed was 2 singles separated by a bedside table! After ringing reception, we were told the 'problems' would be dealt with in the morning! Once again a very unwelcoming tone of voice. Fortunately, we had a good night's sleep (comfy beds) followed by an excellent breakfast. While we were out sightseeing the aircon was repaired and the beds were placed together, so it all seemed much better on our second night. Considering the very reasonable cost, location and cleanliness (pity about the smoke), and once we learnt to ignore the coolness of the receptionist, it was a very comfortable place to stay.
We stayed 4 nights and had a wonderful time in Prague. A beautiful place to visit.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 15, 2009

We had to stay at this hotel last minute as the hotel which we had booked (and paid for) had closed down and we were redirected here. The receptionist wasn't really sure what to do when we arrived but did organise a room for us and was quite helpful. The room was a lot smaller than what I would expect from a 4 star, and, whilst adequately furnished, was not of a standard which you would expect. The bathroom was clean, but very small! The breakfast was quite nice, and the usual things you would expect from a buffet style breakfast. What makes this hotel fantastic is the location of it. It really is in the very centre of Prague and only a 10 minute walk at most to all the main attractions.
Prague itself was a lovely city for a break, although we were there at the weekend and could see why it has a reputation as a 'stag do' city, the ratio of men to women on the nights we went out was very high. I would reccomend going a little out of your way to find a restaurant called 'cheers', I had the most fantastic meal there and some of the nicest cocktails I have ever tasted in my life, along with friendly service and all at a very reasonable price.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 4, 2008

I very much agree with some of the comments made by other reviewers. The Modrá Růže has a great location. It lacks the services like room service that would warrant a 4 star rating, think of it as a good 3 star instead. And the pillows are truly uncomfortable!

We had an "Executive Room" which had a particularly nice bathroom with full bath. This looked on to a quiet courtyard. The breakfast was fine, offering both hot scrambled eggs and bacon, as well as cold cheese and ham, several types of bread and some pastries.

I was less impressed by the strong smell of smoke around the lobby area. Prague may not yet have the smoking restrictions adopted by more progressive places, but there is nothing stopping the hotel adopting higher standards than the legal minimum.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank gaelflyer