“B&B U Oty is Great”

Ranked #29 of 370 Prague B&B and Inns
New York
“B&B U Oty is Great”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2007

I stayed at B&B U Oty with my father and brother for several days on the recommendation of a professor I know in Prague. We had a great time there. The accomodations were excellent. The house is a beautiful old stone Prague house with a courtyard. It has stone walls and winding stone staircases. Mr. Ota Janak is a great host, providing excellent advice about where to go in Prague, and providing a full refrigerator full of beer (pay as you drink) for when you return from a long day of walking around Prague.
I returned to Prague and stayed at B&B U Oty for a second time when I was on an extended stay of three months. As I was staying for a long time, Mr. Janak provided me with a large, homey room-it even had a record player and record collection, from which I learned a great deal about Czech popular music. I quickly felt like it was my house-totally comfortable.
My third trip to B&B U Oty was over New Year's with my girlfriend. She was also impressed with this B&B, because Ota Janak provides a unique, relaxed environment. It's the sort of place where you will stay and drink and make friends with Ota and the other guests-you will have a unique time, and will never forget it.

• Stayed December 2005, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank RFFarris

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Longueuil, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2006

B&B is located a 10 min walk from the metro BUT if you are women travelling alone, I wouldn't suggest you pick this hostel. The road is poorly lit, construction sites all around, not much traffic at night, etc.

The hostel itself is OK, not more. Ota, the owner, is nice but we haven't the same standards for cleaningness. Friends of his were staying there and used our bathroom AND bath, wich weren't cleaned for the entire week we stayed there. Actually, I had to washed it myself so disgusted of a complete stranger pubic hairs all over it.

To cover the sound of the heavy day traffic, he installed big speakers all around the house and even outside, all of which plays very loud music all day long till 23h00 or so. Sounds nice at first but after a few days, it really gets into you since the cds he plays are the same (and in the same order) everyday. I have to admit I like U2 and Manu Chao in the morning but I also like to escape the sound for some quiet moments if I want to.(impossible there...)

• Liked — The price!
  • Disliked — Lack of cleaningness
  • Tips/Secrets — Avoid if you are a woman or women travelling alone.
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank Thelma75
bbownerprague, owner Ota Janak at B&B U Oty, responded to this review, February 26, 2007
As a response to Thelma75´s text I would like to offer the other side´s opinion. I felt both sorry and angry when reading her lines, therefore
I´d like to offer some facts. With that you can judge for yourself.

Location, safetiness:
Prague is extremely safe, with only some pick-pocketing and some wrong taxi drivers in the downtown area. My establishment is only 8-10 minutes by subway from downtown. It’s a 5 minute stroll from the metro station at Ralicka to my B&B and strong street lights are every 50 meters on both sites off street.
The construction of an office building and shops (big KBC Bank, about 2500 bank-workers and also some shops and restaurants, just only 200 meters from my B&B) along the way will be completed by the February 2007 with new sidewalks and lighting.

Shared bathroom:
There is a misunderstanding with Thelma75 about her room rental. She only rented a room with a shared bath (in fact she have bath shared with only one another single men)
The service only includes easy bath cleaning stuff offered at the place during your stay.

Music:
My guests are informed that the music can be customized according to their wishes, lowered in volume, or completely silenced. I sincerely wish that Thelma75 would have made clear her wishes about the music and her visit would have gone much better. At least, other guests have no problem to vocalize their wishes.

Anyway, if you not like any kind of music, please don’t make reservation in my B&B U Oty!

In general:
I try to keep my place clean and attentively provide for the needs of my clients. If a client has a special wish or need I welcome their comments and will make every reasonable effort to accommodate them.

Ota Janak, B&B U Oty owner

WA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2006

I found B&B U Oty to be a clean and good accommodation, conveniently located away from the city yet close enough to take the metro back to downtown (about 15 min.) or nearby shopping center at Andel (2 stops away). The family style breakfast of fresh bread, cheeses, jams, yogurt, coffee, and juice was served daily at 9 AM and was great to meet other guests talk about sites to see. The kitchen is also available to create your own meals, which is perfect for those traveling on a budget or wanting to make some homemade food. The B&B also has a free internet computer to check emails, as well as free internet access in the room for those traveling with a notebook/laptop computer.

The owner Ota, is friendly and helpful, answering questions and always willing to point you toward local spots to enjoy authentic Czech food or to any of the many sites in town. You may also want to ask him about quieter places in the city to spend some downtime after wandering through the busy city. For convenience he also sells the multi-day passes valid to use on the trams, buses and metro within the city. The multi-day passes are great for skipping coin-operated ticket machines before each entry onto public transportation or worrying about zones you will travel in.

The music played throughout the day is definitely not as bad as the other review made it sound. The music does play from morning until night, but Ota also changes and plays music on request, allowing you to listen to your favorite tunes.

A couple of things worth mentioning.

Ota only accepts cash.

Secondly, do not fall for people offering to exchange money on the streets of Prague unless you want a 100% guarantee to get ripped off. Warnings are posted all over town and include the police van parked in the city center. Use ATM's (located throughout the city at banks, shops, inside metro stations, etc) or do your homework and find a reliable currency exchange.

Stayed July 2006
2 Thank EUtraveler
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2006

If you are looking for a modern, western, standard hotel room, look elsewhere. My daughter (18) and I loved the charm of this unique bed and breakfast. We met people from Canada, England, and Australia during the family style continental breakfast served at 9am. This place is for the adventurous person looking for authenticity. Mr. Oty is a very charming man, very helpful. Ask him about the best restaurants and he'll guide to you places he and the locals dine, at a much better price and with fantastic Czech food! He also has guidebooks you can use, and a variety of Czech beer in the kitchen refrigerator available...pay as you go. If you intend to take long showers, forget it! Take your short shower or bath in the evening if you want hot water.

While visiting Prague, try to leave your western expectations at home and experience Prague! Leave your complaints home as well! My daughter was very upset at a Canadian lady who did nothing but complain...Mr. Oty didn't have the kind of tea she wanted, the breakfast wasn't to her liking, etc. Make sure you arrive at the expected time as you have to have a key to enter. This is a small place and Mr. Oty may be at the store if you arrive unexpectedly. Payment is expected in cash.

This was my second trip to this B&B. The first was with my two sons and daughter-in-law and we had a great time. Michele was a bit disappointed by the hot water situation, but just plan ahead and bathe at night...should not be a problem. Please be respectful of the water supply and turn off the water when you are lathering up. Europeans do not have the cheap, plentiful water supply we enjoy in the U.S.

This is not located in the center of town, so you will be doing more walking to get here, but in my opinion it is worth it! Not for families with small children. There is a big room that can sleep 5-6 people...great for young adults travelling together.

• Stayed June 2003
3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
, owner at B&B U Oty, responded to this review, June 30, 2006
Hallo, thank you very much for one very good review, but I must say about hot water in my B&B U Oty, that it had to be some mistake, because I have in my basement 650 liter tank full of 55 °C water heated 24 hours by gas and problems can arise only if somebody wakes up first in the morning and then must wait a few seconds to let off the cold water from the pipes.

Best regards from

Ota Janak, B&B U Oty owner.

A TripAdvisor Member
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2006

We really didn't enjoy our stay here- the B&B is very far out from the centre of Prague and the surrounding locality did not feel secure though that was probably due to the time of year (NYE) and the inability to speak Czech and guage our surroundings. The accommodation was below average for the price paid but it was a high season with Prague being the "hottest" destination at the moment particularly for New Years. U Oty's decor is a little disturbing with odd piped music being played throughout the B&B. The man who owns the place- whilst nice enough- is a little odd and the place could do with a revamp into the 21st century or at best a little clean and air freshner- the cooking pork fat for a new years celebration permeated the entire establishment. Try B&B U Oty when all other accommodation options fail.

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
, owner at B&B U Oty, responded to this review, June 30, 2006
I had in my B&B U Oty only two reservations from Australia:
One was for 6 persons for only one night from 29th December 2005 and the other was for 2 persons for two nights from 31st December 2005.
I do not know who from this groups sent this negative review, but I must say that I usually have bad reviews from short time stay people. If somebody wants to stay less than 3 or 4 nights in my B&B U Oty, please, forget about me and go somewhere else! You will avoid the risk of not getting my best room, because I keep the best ones for long staying visitors!
And about music. Yes I usually play music from 8:30 a.m. till about 23:30 in the house and also in the garden (some places have night club with noisy music all night, but my house is quiet from midnight till 8:30 a.m.)
In the morning I start every day by soft esoteric music, then U2-Joshua Tree, after that more rock, later in the afternoon I play jazz and in the evening some classical music. This schema need not be every day the same…
I play music, because I like music! My guests usually also like my music and some of them ask for room with piano. From time to time I have in my house some very good piano-players and musicians. But I also sometime I have guests, who hate all music, (and usually also much other things in their life) but they can always ask me to stop or change the music.
And about 21st century looking house: My house is 110 yers old and I like it that way. And I also believe that tourists are going to Prague to see history, not nameless concrete and glass.
Next New Year I will not cook fat pork meat, (it is really Czech tradition, to eat it as the first food in the new year!) because it is really not healthy and for some people it can smell terrible …

Ota Janak, B&B U Oty owner