“Very Satisfied”
Review of B&B U Oty

B&B U Oty
Ranked #45 of 368 Prague B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 13, 2009

This bed and breakfast worked well for us. Our party consisted of two couples with a total of 3 very small children (all 2 & under). We rented the small apartment, which was a great price and ideal for us as it provided a full kitchen and living room area for us to use while the children were sleeping in the separate bedrooms. The place was clean and had plenty of space, more than usual for Europe. If you are driving, beware of the very narrow driveway. Larger vans and SUVs may not fit. The parking area is very secure and the house was well insulated from street noise. Breakfast was very simple-- just juice, milk (he offered coffee and tea as well), along with yogurt, cheese, bread, and various spreads. The furnishings were quite old, but clean. As stated in other reviews, this B&B is conveniently located near a metro stop. The only thing to be aware of is that the metro stop is not handicap accessible, so we had to carry our strollers up and down the steps.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank ACW30

Reviewed August 17, 2009

I can't give a proper review, since I never made it to the place. I was on a trip on my motorbike and U Oty was the only accommodation I booked ahead. My progress was faster than expected. I emailed the B&B from Pilsen (which was difficult, since my only access was from a difficult computer in the bar), where I was staying 2 nights before my scheduled arrival to Prague to ask if I could move my dates up by 1 day (thus keeping the first night of my original reservation). I received a reply that U Oty was full for the earlier night and that my reservation would be cancelled. Since I did not ask for this, I panicked and called U Oty. I still needed a place to stay in Prague and, if there was no space at U Oty for the earlier day, I could stay another night in my place in Pilsen then move on for only 1 night in Prague. It would be inconvenient, but not a disaster. I talked to Ota and said that I didn't want my entire reservation cancelled and would like to keep the one later night. His reply was that he wasn't interested in me staying only one night and would cancel my reservation. I found his response to be very rude and unprofessional, particularly because nowhere on his website, from where I booked, was I able to find anything stating that he requires a 2-night minimum stay. This really sent me into a panic. Fortunately, the very kind receptionist at my hotel in (well, near) Pilsen (http://www.purkmistr.cz/) helped me find another place for 2 nights in Prague that ended up working out quite well.

Stayed: August 2009, traveled solo
1  Thank euromut
Reviewed July 27, 2009

Hotels in the tourists area are pretty expensive. If you don't mind taking the metro and sharing bathroom, this B&B is a decent place to stay. It is about 5-10 minutes walk from the metro station and then a 15 minutes metro ride to the tourist area. At night, the walk to the metro station is quite quiet but the road is well lited. The bedroom size is nice. Breakfast is included and there is a computer with internet connection in the living room which was helpful for trip planning. Parking is secure but the driveway is narrow (I guess that's common in Europe). Be aware of pick pockets in the metro and shopping mall. We were unfortunate victims.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 24, 2008

We stayed in Ota's house for 5 nights and had such a great stay! The house literally feels like you are at home, and our room was comfortable and big! Ota gave us cheap public transport tickets and this saved us a lot of money and effort! The breakfast was also awesome, we couldn't have asked for more food!! We had full use of the kitchen also whenever we wanted it, and could come and go from the house as we pleased! It was a great stay and great value, and I recommend it to anyone looking for a nice, quiet relaxing place to stay!

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Amyguy_123
Reviewed October 21, 2008

I wish we could've stayed at Ota's house for a longer time... Our room was absolutely huge, with a comfortable bed, sofas, table with chairs, bookcase and wardrobe - even a piano! As the whole house, it's not shiny and new, but it definitely has character. The breakfast, with several kinds of cheese, breads, butter/jam/Nutella, yogurt, tea/coffee/juice, etc. is great - eating camembert is definitely a nice way to start the day... Sharing the bathroom with one other room wasn't a problem. The location is convenient - there isn't much in the nearby area, but the Radlicka metro station is just 3 minutes away. Light sleepers will probably have to close the windows (if they face the road, as ours did) because of traffic, but when closed, the double windows keep out all noise.

Most importantly, Ota is a wonderful host who really cares for the guests - our stay was so pleasant and memorable largely because of his hospitality. The metro/tram/bus tickets he offers are very useful, the free internet is vital (especially when planning our trip at the last moment, as we did...), and the advice, especially on restaurants, is priceless! As for the music in the house - we asked Ota not to play it in our room, and with the door closed, we could barely hear anything (even around the house, it's certainly not loud or a bother). The music starts at around 8.30 and is turned off at 23.00 at the latest; I'm also sure that Ota would turn it off earlier if asked.

If you're not expecting a 5* hotel, I can't see how you wouldn't be charmed by this place.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 13, 2007

I stayed at B&B U Oty with my father and brother for several days on the recommendation of a professor I know in Prague. We had a great time there. The accomodations were excellent. The house is a beautiful old stone Prague house with a courtyard. It has stone walls and winding stone staircases. Mr. Ota Janak is a great host, providing excellent advice about where to go in Prague, and providing a full refrigerator full of beer (pay as you drink) for when you return from a long day of walking around Prague.
I returned to Prague and stayed at B&B U Oty for a second time when I was on an extended stay of three months. As I was staying for a long time, Mr. Janak provided me with a large, homey room-it even had a record player and record collection, from which I learned a great deal about Czech popular music. I quickly felt like it was my house-totally comfortable.
My third trip to B&B U Oty was over New Year's with my girlfriend. She was also impressed with this B&B, because Ota Janak provides a unique, relaxed environment. It's the sort of place where you will stay and drink and make friends with Ota and the other guests-you will have a unique time, and will never forget it.

• Stayed: December 2005, traveled as a couple
1  Thank RFFarris
Reviewed October 11, 2006

B&B is located a 10 min walk from the metro BUT if you are women travelling alone, I wouldn't suggest you pick this hostel. The road is poorly lit, construction sites all around, not much traffic at night, etc.

The hostel itself is OK, not more. Ota, the owner, is nice but we haven't the same standards for cleaningness. Friends of his were staying there and used our bathroom AND bath, wich weren't cleaned for the entire week we stayed there. Actually, I had to washed it myself so disgusted of a complete stranger pubic hairs all over it.

To cover the sound of the heavy day traffic, he installed big speakers all around the house and even outside, all of which plays very loud music all day long till 23h00 or so. Sounds nice at first but after a few days, it really gets into you since the cds he plays are the same (and in the same order) everyday. I have to admit I like U2 and Manu Chao in the morning but I also like to escape the sound for some quiet moments if I want to.(impossible there...)

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Thelma75
bbownerprague, owner Ota Janak at B&B U Oty, responded to this reviewResponded February 26, 2007

As a response to Thelma75´s text I would like to offer the other side´s opinion. I felt both sorry and angry when reading her lines, therefore
I´d like to offer some facts. With that you can judge for yourself.

Location, safetiness:
Prague is extremely safe, with only some pick-pocketing and some wrong taxi drivers in the downtown area. My establishment is only 8-10 minutes by subway from downtown. It’s a 5 minute stroll from the metro station at Ralicka to my B&B and strong street lights are every 50 meters on both sites off street.
The construction of an office building and shops (big KBC Bank, about 2500 bank-workers and also some shops and restaurants, just only 200 meters from my B&B) along the way will be completed by the February 2007 with new sidewalks and lighting.

Shared bathroom:
There is a misunderstanding with Thelma75 about her room rental. She only rented a room with a shared bath (in fact she have bath shared with only one another single men)
The service only includes easy bath cleaning stuff offered at the place during your stay.

Music:
My guests are informed that the music can be customized according to their wishes, lowered in volume, or completely silenced. I sincerely wish that Thelma75 would have made clear her wishes about the music and her visit would have gone much better. At least, other guests have no problem to vocalize their wishes.

Anyway, if you not like any kind of music, please don’t make reservation in my B&B U Oty!

In general:
I try to keep my place clean and attentively provide for the needs of my clients. If a client has a special wish or need I welcome their comments and will make every reasonable effort to accommodate them.

Ota Janak, B&B U Oty owner