“Couldn't wish for more...” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of B&B U Oty

B&B U Oty
Ranked #30 of 368 Prague B&B and Inns
Belgrade, Serbia
“Couldn't wish for more...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2012

This was our second time in Prague, and staying at Ota's place is definitely on of those things proving that you don't have to pay enormous amounts of money for some fancy hotel in order to have a pleasant vacation in this beautiful town. Just 5min. by foot from the nearby Metro/Tram station, makes it perfect base, offering peaceful oasis far from town center, when it comes to resting from long day walk, as well as fast reaching any part of Prague due to perfect public transport. As for Ota and his friend Miroslav, they were hosts you could only wish :)

If you plan to use public transport extensively, ask Ota about transferable tickets which he provides depending of availability, so it's smart thing to 'book' them it in advance. Breakfast is variant of continental type, with all kinds of sweet spreads, cereals, cheese varieties, nice dark breads, fruit yogurts, juices, and host-made teas and coffee. If you are lucky, you will even try delicious home made cake made by Miroslav :) Music is played in the backyard for all time, but the hosts were very thoughtful respecting our rest time.

Wish for a cold beer ? Beside a free welcome drink, it's just a few footsteps away - you can always find it kitchen fridge. Just keep your own record, and pay for it on check out (it's very fair priced: 20CZK = 0.78euro)

If you travel by car, you will be happy to hear that your will be able to park inside the house walls - so, it couldn't be safer than that.

All in all, fulfilled all our expectations, and much more.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Nenad_Bgd

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Cheboksary
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2012

The owner makes your stay in this b&b just like at home! Breakfast is not rich but is served in a friendly atmosphere, there is a nice small garden where you can relax in the evenings, jazz music plays but does not disturb.
The location is good, it takes not more than 20 minutes from the house to the city centre, the owner provides very cheap tickets valid for all kinds of transport.
We'd love to stay there again!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Orlando, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2011

We were two couples traveling through Europe. We had a great time at Ota's house. It wasn't what we expected, but it was convenient to the Prague sites. A 7 minute subway ride. Ota prepared a great breakfast and maintained a clean and comfortable apartment for us.

We were stay here again!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank packerjanice
Warwick, England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2010

I have known Ota now for nearly 20 years and have stayed at his house many times. It is the best value for money anywhere in the world, period! and really so convenient from the airport and to get into the city by metro or tram. Pity Bistro Kavos is no longer down the street having turned into the head office of a Czech bank !! When I am in Prague this is the only place to stay complete with old Russian fridge full of Velky Popowice in the form of an honesty bar. Breakfast is always surprisingly cheerful and Ota is always open to suggestions to improve the choice as long as its not going to cost him too much. Just a warning - take care if you go with him to collect the beer in the bright green Lada - especially when fully loaded !! But I recommend to anyone reading this review to extend their Prague experience to Ota's and spend the pennies (crowns) saved on other Prague luxuries such as a Vltava dinner trip complete with Roll out the Barrel or dinner at Nebozizak

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with family
Frankfurt
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2009

This bed and breakfast worked well for us. Our party consisted of two couples with a total of 3 very small children (all 2 & under). We rented the small apartment, which was a great price and ideal for us as it provided a full kitchen and living room area for us to use while the children were sleeping in the separate bedrooms. The place was clean and had plenty of space, more than usual for Europe. If you are driving, beware of the very narrow driveway. Larger vans and SUVs may not fit. The parking area is very secure and the house was well insulated from street noise. Breakfast was very simple-- just juice, milk (he offered coffee and tea as well), along with yogurt, cheese, bread, and various spreads. The furnishings were quite old, but clean. As stated in other reviews, this B&B is conveniently located near a metro stop. The only thing to be aware of is that the metro stop is not handicap accessible, so we had to carry our strollers up and down the steps.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank ACW30
Brussels
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2009

I can't give a proper review, since I never made it to the place. I was on a trip on my motorbike and U Oty was the only accommodation I booked ahead. My progress was faster than expected. I emailed the B&B from Pilsen (which was difficult, since my only access was from a difficult computer in the bar), where I was staying 2 nights before my scheduled arrival to Prague to ask if I could move my dates up by 1 day (thus keeping the first night of my original reservation). I received a reply that U Oty was full for the earlier night and that my reservation would be cancelled. Since I did not ask for this, I panicked and called U Oty. I still needed a place to stay in Prague and, if there was no space at U Oty for the earlier day, I could stay another night in my place in Pilsen then move on for only 1 night in Prague. It would be inconvenient, but not a disaster. I talked to Ota and said that I didn't want my entire reservation cancelled and would like to keep the one later night. His reply was that he wasn't interested in me staying only one night and would cancel my reservation. I found his response to be very rude and unprofessional, particularly because nowhere on his website, from where I booked, was I able to find anything stating that he requires a 2-night minimum stay. This really sent me into a panic. Fortunately, the very kind receptionist at my hotel in (well, near) Pilsen (http://www.purkmistr.cz/) helped me find another place for 2 nights in Prague that ended up working out quite well.

Stayed August 2009, traveled solo
1 Thank euromut
Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2009

Hotels in the tourists area are pretty expensive. If you don't mind taking the metro and sharing bathroom, this B&B is a decent place to stay. It is about 5-10 minutes walk from the metro station and then a 15 minutes metro ride to the tourist area. At night, the walk to the metro station is quite quiet but the road is well lited. The bedroom size is nice. Breakfast is included and there is a computer with internet connection in the living room which was helpful for trip planning. Parking is secure but the driveway is narrow (I guess that's common in Europe). Be aware of pick pockets in the metro and shopping mall. We were unfortunate victims.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple