“great hotel location, but ask some questions before you book”
Review of Grand Hotel Praha

Grand Hotel Praha
Ranked #131 of 649 Hotels in Prague
philadelphia
“great hotel location, but ask some questions before you book”
Reviewed October 10, 2011

We stayed at the Grand Hotel in May. Our room was beautiful. However, I chose this hotel specifically for the view of the famous clock. I was more than a little upset to open my window to a construction site. Our view was gone. We had not been informed of this in advance, which left us with little alternative but to stay. It is VERY loud at night with groups of roving drunks, who seem to love to sing at the top our their lungs. With all this you would think that I would not recommend this hotel, however, I would. The staff was very kind and helpful. Breakfast was very good. The location can not be beat! The construction will not last forever, and you can just decide to enjoy the sounds of the square as some great local atmosphere. We had so much fun and loved Prague so much we would go back in a heart beat and we would stay that the Grand Hotel

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
GrandhotelPrahaLenka, Manager at Grand Hotel Praha, responded to this review, November 4, 2011
Dear Sir/Madam,

thank you for one of the best reviews that I have pleasure to read!!!:)))
And also thank you, for being so understanding about the construction site, that was taken place at the period of your stay, I would also like to apologize, that we have not informed you in advance, however, this took us by surprise same way as you, as we were not informed prior to the work either as it was a decision of the Prague city, so ones I apologize and I do hope, that you will come and stay with us to see how amazing our hotel looks now, as I have to say, they have done a great job and it was worth all that in the end!!! Just come and see for yourself!!!:)))

We are all looking forward to hear from you soon!
Lenka Kotalikova

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (200)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed October 9, 2011

We stayed in room 302 from September 10th to 14th 2011. After a long overseas flight we used the elevator to check in at reception. I should have clued in when the bell hop brought our suitcases down and we left for another building. We climbed and walked through a maze and finally were at our room. My husband said, do you really want to climb up all these stairs?I just wanted to eat, it was late at night and then sleep. Big mistake. The room was stunning with a view right across to the astronomical clock. Our room actually included a spiral staircase up to a beautiful loft with sitting area, another full size bed and very modern bathroom with shower. This hotel part is undergoing renovation on the outside so the workmen show up early in the morning but I can't say they bothered me. The bed was very comfortable and both bathrooms great. The rooms were both very large and furnished with antique furniture. What did bother me was the noise as it is on the main square. At 3 a.m. every morning, a fight seemed to break out with loud swearing underneath our room on the street and one of the nights three police cars showed up to break up the fight. We had a great view when the astronomical clock did chime and the characters do their dance and the trumpeter performs. Mercifully that was just from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. The breakfast room is in the main hotel and the room very pretty. Breakfast was included and was certainly adequate. The breads were incredible. We thought the location was perfect and certainly Prague is a walking city and you can walk to about everything. I would stay in the hotel again if I was guaranteed a room that didn't take 98 stairs to get up to each time we had to go to the room. Also it was quite noisy being on the main square. Certainly very, very clean and had a wonderful old Europe atmosphere.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room in the building with the elevator or if in the other building, on a low floor.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank pottylorraine
Dear Potti,

thank you for your respond to our accommodation and let me also thank you, for being so understanding and great about the renovation, that was taken place at the time of your stay, you have stated in your review, that the workman did not even bothered you, that is great, thank you!:)))
I would like to apologize for all the stair that you have to climb up to to get to your Attic apartment...there is nothing we can do about that, as our hotel is protected by Czech legislation to proserve it's heritage. Unfortunately due to these laws we are unable to install an elevator in the older part of the hotel, as this would alter the buildings original condition.

Ones again thank you so much for taken your time and writing your review I do appreciate it!!!:))) And I do hope to have the great pleasure to accommodate you with us again in the near future in a lovely room with an elevator access!:)))

Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 18, 2011

I recently returned from a visit to Prague part of which I spent in the Grand Hotel Praha as part of a so called ' Romantic dinner and jazz night'. I had pre-booked this prior to going to Prague and only now wish I had of read the reviews. I have never ever went on line to write about somewhere but this was so terrible i just had to so that no one else would feel ripped off like myself. The 'romantic dinner' consisted of a 4 course meal of which it was nothing short of disgusting the starters were substandard attempts at tomato, cheese and oregano on a plate followed by chicken ragout which was tastleless. Main meal steak's pepper sauce was inedible and the steak was like chewing rubber. The pudding( which was only an apple tart) harldly rocket science to make was hard enough to build a brick wall with. The enterntainment meanwhile consisted of a girl on a piano singing with a guy on a saxaphone. They were pleasant enough to listen to but with the food being so disgusting it was hard to enjoy listening to them. Overall i felt that this was mis sold to me and that it was a complete insult to people to actually charge them for the night! Like I said im not one of these people that just goes on and writes reviews all the time nor would I say that I am hard to please but my God this was the worst place I have ever ate without doubt I will never set foot back in this hotel how this gets the name Grand Hotel Praha blows my mind completely I stayed in a three star hotel and I can tell you it was worlds apart from this!!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank 1969Katie
GrandhotelPrahaLenka, Manager at Grand Hotel Praha, responded to this review, September 21, 2011
Dear Sir/Madam,

thank you, for your review, even though your review will most definitely have to be one of the very worse one we had the pleasure to read and I would like to apologize for all the inconvenience, that you have had to face in our Jazz and Dinner, well mainly Dinner part of the evening!
Now on our behalf let me just explain few pointers to you!
Fist of all, you have been given quit a large menu to choose from, so you were not given sat 4 course menu as it sounds like it from your review, I have attached our menu below:
COLD ENTRÉES
Prawn cocktail with lemon
Marinated octopus with dried tomatoes and artichokes
Mozzarella with tomatoes, basil, olive oil and balsamic vinegar
HOT ENTRÉES
Marinated tiger prawns with dill and parsley
Grilled vegetables baked with goats cheese
Chicken ragout
MEALS TO ORDER
Fish kebab with orange and bay leaves /salmon, saltwater catfish/
Grilled pepper steak with coloured pepper and roast bacon
Grilled pork sirloin with boletus mushroom sauce
VEGETARIAN MENU
Mixture of leafy lettuces with raspberry vinaigrette
Baked Provensal tomatoes with fresh basil
Home-made ravioli with goat cheese, rucola and tomato salsa
SIDE DISHES
Wild rice
Potatoes Au-gratin
DESSERTS
Apple pie
Exotic jelly
Sacher Cake
So I am not to sure, why you have stated in your review, that you were given unexpected starters, which was only tomato, cheese, oregano, when you could choose from many other options or same with unexpected apple tart, as part of your dessert ( as you have named it pudding dish )and this apple tart was hard as a brick to build a wall with, I think this is very untrue as we take our baking very seriously and will never serve a cake as hard as you have describe it in your review, but there is very little we can do now about words, that has been already written, so we can only explain!
Let me just write, that we can not fit in everyones taste even though we do try to provide the best possible service we can and from some one who writes, that they never post a review before your review was truly by far one of the worse one we have had, but on the same note, I am glad that you have stated your point of view here, as we can only learn from it and improve, but we have the right to also react.
Also you have stated your review on a Grand HOTEL Praha wall, which refers only to the accommodation in our hotel.

Sydney
Reviewed August 28, 2011

My partner and I booked a King Room for New Years Eve which was supposed to look out onto the main square where the fireworks are. Unfortunately on arrival we were told there had been a flood (although no damage was visible) and we'd been moved to another hotel.

When chatting to locals, I was informed this was a common excuse for bumping guests to the owner's cheaper venue.

The hotel we were moved to was down an alley, the room had no view (the windows were tiny, ceiling-high windows facing a neighbouring wall) it was in attic - so we were forced to drag our luggage up 4 flights of stairs (the Grand Hotel has a lift) and the only facilities were a tiny portable TV - see attached photos

Our main disappointment was that were were given 2 single beds when we had specifically requested a King Room. My partner and I haven't seen each other for a while and this was supposed to be a romantic New Year's break.

I complained to reception and to lastminute.com but they were unable to help.

Although the Grand Hotel Praha is lovely, I wouldn't feel confident booking here again.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
5 Thank flexyoga
Perth, Australia
Reviewed August 17, 2011

It doesnt get any more central and yes the location is fantastic .Bedroom and bathroom sizes are fantastic. My plane was delayed a few hours so I was so glad to take advantage of being picked up by one of the hotels drivers which takes the stress out arriving in a country you have never been to. But arriving at 2 am I was taken to my room which had the most foul stench and the hardest bed in all of europe.Not much sleep first night.They did manage to subdue the smell but it still lingered when you closed the windows Also all the outside renovations , I appreciate upgrades need to be done but it would have been handy if this was mentioned on the website .

Staff were were very friendly and helpful,the young lady in reception in particular. They were even able to get someone to fix a glitch on my laptop which was greatly appreciated.Great location close to everything but for comfort was a bit disappointed

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank chaddy_11
New Delhi
Reviewed August 3, 2011

The Hotel is located right opposite the Cuckoo Clock tower in the Old town square, very central and walking distance to the Winscelas square.

We loved the option of having our Breakfast in Bed, and it was quite a huge spread....

The staff was quite helpful.... and very polite and courteous as compared to some other European Hotels..

We would surely be back in this hotel and recommend it highly for other couples as well

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
st. Louis
Reviewed July 31, 2011

If you want to be in the medieval heart of Prague this is the at which to stay! We had the top floor (the apartment) of the hotel. It was 60 or so stairs to climb but we thrive on exercise so it was not a problem and a family challenge! We traveled as a family of four consisting of two adult children and my husband and I. Our room was directly across from the Astronomical Clock and we never failed to run to our windows to watch on the hour. We loved the excitement of the square at all hours of the night, and yes it can be loud in the wee hours of the mourning, bu this is Europe and we will never pass this way again, so go with the flow. We loved the hotel and the location was absolutely the best and I mean the best. We could always find our bearings looking for the town center.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank stlouisblues
GrandhotelPrahaLenka, Manager at Grand Hotel Praha, responded to this review, August 3, 2011
To whom this might concern,

thank you so much for your lovely respond to our accommodation and I am glad that so many stairs up did not worry you and you could look at the bright side of this :))) thank you !!!

And even that you have stated, that you will probably never cross this part of the world again I do hope so, that you will and we will be looking forward to that day! :)))

Lenka