“Great boutique hotel in the heart of Old Town”
Review of Aurus

Aurus
Ranked #127 of 649 Hotels in Prague
Breckenridge, Colorado
“Great boutique hotel in the heart of Old Town”
Reviewed June 17, 2009

We stayed here for the first two nights of our recent vacation. The hotel is in a fabulous location, although this also means noise at night with the drunk party people coming to the square late at night. Our room was the family suite. We had a beautiful view, a nice sized 2 room area with a small bathroom. Everything was clean and comfortable. The staff is very friendly and helpful. The breakfast is included, but is nothing special. Basic juice, coffee, rolls, yougurt and meat/cheese, along with a few hot items. The downside is that if you are one of the last people (as we were the first day) and they run out of the pastries/rolls you are out of luck! We had dinner in the restaurant, which has nice atmosphere and food (guests get a 10% discount). Overall a great place if you can handle the noise and get to breakfast early!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Pensacola, Florida
Reviewed June 5, 2009

From check in to check out, we were delighted with our stay. This small boutique hotel is perfect, centrally located, full of Prague's old charm and beautifully appointed. We walked to every attraction in town, no taxi or metro. We can't wait to go back to Prague and this will definitely be our hotel. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Cheshire
Reviewed May 31, 2009

What a great find this hotel was! Only quite small, but, quite superb. Friendly, helpful staff. Great location withing 5 minutes of Charles Bridge and Old Town Square.

Would definitely return and/or recommend to anyone!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Boston, MA
Reviewed May 14, 2009

Due to a pricing mistake on Orbitz, I was afforded the privillege of staying at this fine establishment in a family suite. I had a wonderful stay.
The front desk staff was incredibly friendly and polite and were able to answer most of my tourist questions.
The location was perfect... between the Charles bridge and Old Town square.
The restaurant was hit or miss. I went there one night and had a delicious chicken breast meal and then two nights later ordered the same meal and was dissappointed. I was told that it was different chefs who had different styles.
The breakfast room was lovely, but they could use a new chafing dish to keep the hot food hot. There was a nice mix of cereals, fruit, eggs, meats, cheeses etc. Because there are only 8 rooms in the hotel, I had wonderful conversations with other guests over breakfast.
The rooms were charming and the bathrooms were relatively modern with good water pressure. There was some construction going on across the street, but it was not too disturbing. There were some loud tourists on the street, but again it did not bother me.

• Stayed November 2008, traveled solo
1 Thank marius20
Wisconsin
Reviewed May 10, 2009

Travel can be intimidating but it's eased so much when you have a friend or family living in the location you plan to visit for the first time. That's what it was like for us staying at this hotel in Prague. From the moment I contacted "At the Golden Well," I felt like I was talking to family. I was made immediately welcome, a trick in itself given the coldness of the internet. We had a complicated trip over to Prague from Chicago but when we arrived at the airport, there was the driver, arranged by the hotel, waiting for us. It was as if family was picking us up.
The best was yet to come. The hotel is small, charming, immaculate and perfectly located to visit and enjoy Prague. We were less then 5 minutes walk to the Charles Bridge, less then 5 minutes walk to the Old Town square, we were right in the middle of everything and it was perfect. Yet, when you walked through the door into the hotel's small entry hall, it was like being in someone's home.
The room was two floors up, overlooked the small cobblestone street, and was just perfect. Our son joined us from Poland and the room had a marvelous pull out bed so easy to use, unlike cots we experienced in other cities along our way. The room was clean, the setting was very relaxing, and each morning we had the opportunity to eat a very satisfying breakfast in a delightful dining area.
The physical makeup of the hotel is excellent, the location is excellent, but the real key is the staff. Thoughtful and considerate, who else would pack sandwiches for us on the day we were leaving on an 8 hour train trip into Poland? The sisters made us feel like we were not just guests but more like family.
I have recommended this hotel to my daughter who is traveling to Prague the end of May and both my wife and I plan on staying there when we return to Prague this coming fall.
You could not do better in this wonderful city then choosing to say at U Zlate Studny.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
San Antonio
Reviewed March 15, 2009

Just stayed there last week. Fantastic location in Old Town and room was fantastic. Petra, the manager and receptionist, was absolutely fantastic in helping us connect with some friends also in Prague. Room was great and the restaurant in the hotel was great. Everything was very clean and organized. If there is one negative, it is slighly noisy, but is to be expected if you are staying in Old Town. Lots of people there having a great time. We would stay there again tomorrown and not even think twice. Right across the river is the Castle. It was perfect.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
toronto
Reviewed February 24, 2009

U Zlate Studny proved to be a perfect hotel from which we set off each day to ramble about in the most beautiful city in Europe. Our room was spacious and extremely comfortable, with a useful sort of vestibule featuring two wardrobes that held all our bulky coats, winter boots and clothes. The bathroom was expansive and well-arranged; it also had a wonderful bathtub into which I retreated each evening, footsore and pleasantly spent. The beds were of good quality, and suited my bum back. We stayed at this hotel over Christmas and New Year's, and were therefore thankful that, no matter what went on in the street four floors down, our windows somehow insulated us from the cacaphony...as did the presumably thick wall constuction of our room. I never heard anything from other guests adjacent to us. Our room was immaculate, with a long shelf (atop a hidden, pull-out bed) for all my books, and a sofa, lamp and table in a little reading alcove. In addition, there was a little cafe table in front of the large casement windows, beyond which was a view of the lovely 19th century facade of the building across the narrow, cobbled street. It also had a small fridge. It was, thank goodness, not a "new" room: though it was totally renovated, it had the feeling of coziness and comfort. The structure itself is rich in historical detail; each day, when we arrived home, there were other tourists taking photos of U Zlate Studny and its remarkable renaissance facade.
Presently I am pining for the beautiful fresh rye bread that was served each day in the lovely breakfast room. In addition, there was always fresh fruit, cereals, yogurts, hot sausages, eggs and fruit juices included in a self-serve buffet. There were also fresh baked goods (croissants, poppyseed and preserve-filled danishes) that were delicious. The coffee was very good and plentiful, and Marta always gave me a pitcher of hot milk alongside. Each morning I read for an hour or two there, as I am an early riser, and I always felt absolutely welcome to linger.
The staff were always pleasant, and everyone without exception went out of their way to accommodate us. We received very helpful information on local pubs and eateries, train and bus schedules, tours and opera tickets. I was also able to torment Petra at the reception desk about anything that puzzled me regarding both the ancient and recent history of Czech Lands. If she didn't know, she was pleased to find out.
We utilized the hotel's cab service back to the airport, which was absolutely on time. This is not included in the room tariff, but is well worth letting the hotel arrange with a company that is trusted. This trip is not metered, but has a reasonable set fee that is agreed upon ahead of time. We had to leave in the middle of the night, so it was nice that we didn't have to worry about getting to a flight at a time when the streets were still deserted.
I believe that the configuation of U Zlate Studny is such that it is appropriate for any kind of stay---two nights or fourteen, with children or without. I think it is a real part of the historical map of the superb city that is Prague, so one gets the feeling that one is participating in the place, rather than just visiting it. There is certainly a different perspective to be gained having a base at U Zlate Studny as opposed to staying at a modern Holiday or Ramada Inn. I think that everyone felt very lucky to be there---certainly we did.

• Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple