“Mixed Feelings”

Ranked #68 of 651 Hotels in Prague
Shepperton, United Kingdom
“Mixed Feelings”
Reviewed August 30, 2013

This hotel had the potential to be great but it didn't quite live up to my expectations - especially for a 4 star hotel costing £75 a night...

The hotel itself was lovely - very quaint and old-fashioned and in a lovely quiet area. The staff were always friendly and helpful and also the garden was a lovely place to sit and relax with a drink. The Wi-Fi also seemed to work well.

However, I was very disappointed with the room itself, hence the 3 stars. The room was tiny for a start and very cramped. The bed was the worst bit - I'd booked a double room but got a double bed with two single mattresses and two single duvets on it. The mattresses themselves were so thin and uncomfortable (making my back issues worse) that I had to get up in the middle of the night and pile the two mattresses on top of each other - this actually seemed to help, though I had to be careful which side of the bed I got out of in the morning!

The toiletries were just tiny sachets and these were not restocked after the first day (unlike in every other hotel I've ever been to) and both of the bedside lamps were not working.

Breakfast was ok and offered a bit of choice, I've had better and I've had worse. There was nothing there that made me look forward to breakfast the next day. Also, some stuff seemed to have run out by about 9am.

Overall I was underwhelmed by the hotel and I'd expected to love it - maybe I just didn't get a good room. I wouldn't stay here again purely because the beds were so uncomfortable to me and I need a comfy bed after a day of walking around non-stop. One thing I will say though is that the hotel is in a great location - really close to the shops, restaurants and sights of Prague's Old Town.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank DawnEast

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (191)
  • Czech first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed August 27, 2013

Just back from a fleeting 2 day visit to Prague and i cant say compliment the hotel enough. the location is perfect - very central, just a couple of minutes walk from old town square yet in a quiet area where there is no hustle and bustle and you feel extremely safe. check in was very quick and very welcoming. Patrick checked us in and was extremely friendly and made sure that we were happy with the room when we checked in. all the staff on reception, day and night, were extremely friendly, helpful and are a credit to the hotel but i have to say Patrick was one of the best ambassadors that you could find to be the face of this lovely hotel. the hotel is very quirky, from the golum statue in the garden to the layout of the rooms, i loved it. the bedroom/bathroom were spotless and could not be faulted. we booked a taxi to collect us through the hotel from the airport and for the return trip and i would recommend this. the hotel has a computer for customer use which was great for online checking in for our flights back. i would also recommend an open top vintage car tour of the city/castle if time is tight. we visited all the landmarks in an hour and didnt feel rushed.
i had such a ball on this trip that i have just booked a 4 night stay in the same hotel to experience the christmas market. so if location and customer care is important to you, i couldnt recommend this hotel enough.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Olympia, Washington
Reviewed August 26, 2013

Hotel Hastal is both a great place to stay in Prague and a great value (especially with the discounts they give for staying multiple days). It is incredibly well located: just a 5 minute walk to the old town center or the Jewish quarter, 15 minutes to Charles Bridge, 20 minutes to Prague Castle. One big concern with downtown hotels is that they can be quite loud. Not this hotel. It's on a small side street. We had a room facing the street and slept with the windows open (it was August) and had no problems. Also, the rooms are quite generously sized. We were traveling with our 7 year old son and had no problem fitting the 3 of us and our luggage comfortably in a double room.

The service was also great. The staff had great restaurant recommendations. My luggage was delayed, and the staff did a great job of calling Air France multiple times a day to follow up and put pressure on them. When my luggage finally arrived after 3 days, the woman at the front desk would not let the driver leave until I was able to come down and confirm that they brought me the right bag. Nice service.

Lastly, the breakfasts are good. Lots of breads, meats, cheeses, fruit, yogurt, etc. It was easy to load up with a big breakfast and save money on lunch.

If I had friends or family going to Prague, this is definitely the place I would tell them to stay because of the location, service, and value.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank C_T_Neilson
Jerusalem, Israel
Reviewed August 25, 2013

We were thrilled with our choice to book our accomodations at the Hastal in Old Town Prague. The room was lovely, the history and charm was delightful, and the location outstanding. It was great to stay in a place that has been owned by the same family for so many generations.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Fairfield, Ohio
Reviewed August 24, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Hotel Hastal in April 2013 for 5 nights. It is very conveniently located to the train station (20 to 25 minute walk) and to most of the sights in the Old Town area. The staff was very friendly, especially Patrick, Eva and Thomas. Everyone at the desk speaks very good English which was important since we don't speak a word or Czech.We had couldn't figure out how to get the TV to work and the handy man came up very promptly and showed us what we were doing wrong. The room was very comfortable and quiet. We were on the 5th floor right next to the elevator and worried that the passengers and the motor of the elevator would be disturbing but thankfully all was quiet. We had a stairway on the other side so no neighbors. I would certainly be willing to say in that room again. I believe it was room 57. There were also several very good restaurants within close walking distance.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
South Salem, NY
Reviewed August 13, 2013

The Hotel Hastal is an easy 20-30 minute walk from the train station (have a good map with you), and just a couple of minutes walk from the old town square. There are ATMs, numerous restaurants and a small market nearby as well.Our room was a nice size, very clean, nicely appointed, and had air conditioning (we needed it one night of 3). There is an elevator to take you to the upper floors. The breakfast buffet was well done and there was plenty of seating. The folks that run this hotel are very service oriented. We were pleasantly surprised to receive a discount when we paid or the room in cash. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Swegnson
Reviewed August 5, 2013 via mobile

We have stayed here in December 2012. I can stay its the one of the best location in the city. All the attractions are waking distance so you don't need any transport really. Staff were very friendly and helpful hotel itself is a bit dated but clean.never had any heating or hot water problem. Because its a city break and we didn't stay much in the hotel so its really doesn't matter. One thing i never get was free champagne with breakfast :)i can say I would stay in same hotel if I visit Prague again one day . Great great city.

• Stayed December 2012