“The most terrible experience of my life - THERE ARE BED BUGS in PENSION BETA !!!”
Review of Beta

Beta
Ranked #57 of 364 Prague B&B and Inns
Reviewed November 8, 2012

I stayed at Pension Beta for 2 nights in August 2012 and it was a real disaster. I arrived late in the evening and there was an old mister at the reception desk. He asked me for my ID-card, then started to fill in some forms and he did it the slowest way possible. In the meantime, I was able to read ALL the information and leaflets that were pinned on the noticeboard !

When he FINALLY finished and I took out my debit card to pay for the accomodation, he was very astonished and said that he had SUPPOSED I would pay in cash (I have no clue why he supposed that). Subsequently, he tore up one of the forms and started to fill in a new one and I thought I would fall asleep while standing because I was already very tired. When the check-in was FINALLY done (it was the slowest one I have ever had!), the receptionist handed me the key to my room and I had to carry my big and heavy luggage on the 3rd floor on my own because there was no elevator. The receptionist was not willing to help me, he only said, "You will manage it all by yourself," and quickly disappeared behind the reception desk.
The room was really terrible - there was much noise from the traffic (in fact, the Pension is situated under a bridge where the metro runs), it was not possible to shut the window properly and there were no curtains.

BUT THE WORST WAS YET TO COME.
When I woke up, I discovered that BOTH MY ARMS and HANDS were BITTEN during the night by some insect which I later found out were the BED BUGS !!! And it itched like hell !!!
I run at the reception and told what happened to me, but the receptionist tried to persuade me that I was bitten by some mosquites, which obviously wasn´t true. I waited for the Manager of the Pension Beta, told him what happened to me and asked him to give me another room immediately. At first, the Manager pretended he didn´t know what the bed bugs were and even accused me of bringing the bed bugs with me on my luggage !!! According to him, I catched them in public transport, which is a clear non-sense !!!
After the breakfast (I was so angry and under stress I could hardly eat anything), I wanted to wash my hair but there was no warm water running so I had to wash it in a water that was as cold as ice !
Well, I got another room for my second (and, fortunately, my last) night in Pension Beta (the noise from the traffic was so loud I stayed awake for almost the whole night !). But in the next morning, I discovered I WAS BITTEN during the night BY THE BED BUGS AGAIN - it was on my back. I was really angry and asked the Manager to give me back the money I paid for these 2 nights and he agreed.
The fact that I was bitten by the bed bugs so badly caused me a lot of stress and it completely ruined my stay in Prague. As the weather was hot, I had to wear a T-shirt and my arms and hands looked pretty awful, while they itched terribly.
After this HORRIFIC EXPERIENCE, I will NEVER STAY IN THIS PENSION AGAIN !!!!!! And you, please, head my warning: DO NOT STAY IN PENSION BETA, IT IS A DIRTY PLACE WHERE BED BUGS WILL BITE YOU DURING THE NIGHT and there is very loud traffic outside which won´t permit you to sleep at all !!!!!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Single_traveller_12
pensionbeta, Manager at Beta, responded to this reviewResponded November 10, 2012

Dear Mr./Mrs. .........,
if you would like to harm our pension it´s a common decency to sign your message ( it is useful for the control ).
What is more important that your information is not based on the true .
It is strange that your stay was in August and you write such information now .
Mr.Janu

There are newer reviews for Beta

Reviewed October 5, 2012

-great breakfast
-there is a 24 hour bar beside the hostel

Negative:
-Very very noisy
-take the tram NOT the train to get there
-There is no window in the rooms

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank raphazem
Reviewed August 10, 2012

This is not a hotel but a hostel although you can't understand this from the description on the site. The photo of exterior doesn't provide the right information at all: the hostel is situated in a very poor place under the train bridge and near tram line, so it's VERY noisy in the rooms. You can find much more good hostels or even hotels in Prague for that price. We were really disappointed.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Alex_Bergman
Reviewed May 21, 2012

I was a tad nervous staying here as I've never stayed in a hostel before, but it was a very good experience! The room was really clean, the bathroom was immaculate, we had clean fresh towels & a good choice for breakfast. For what we paid I certainly couldn't have asked for more.

The tram stop is literally a couple of minutes walk down the road which was then only a short journey to the centre of Prague.

The staff were extremely friendly and very helpful.

Only advice would be to take ear plugs as I did find the trams going past a little noisey but its the best 3 nights I've stayed someone for what I paid.

Would definitely recommend!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 26, 2012

I've stayed in few hostels in the past but this is by far one of the best if you consider the price and location. The breakfast was suprisingly good. It's all-you-can-eat buffet which included many kinds of foods to choose from (different types of bread, eggs, canned meat pie, yogurt, cereal, honey, chocolate butter, milk, orange juice, coffee, tea...). And don't worry about the huge overpass going over the building :) We didn't hear a smallest noise comming from up there during the night. Service was very kind. The hostel is open 24/7 so you can enjoy Prague's nightlife with no limits.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank mRoQuE82
Reviewed August 30, 2011

What a great hostel. I got a nice big, airy, clean room. The Wi-Fi worked well.

Breakfast was plentiful and items replaced as they were used. Several choices of bread, cheese, spreads, pate, cereals & fruit juice. A tray of eggs and a saucepan on a cooker for doing your own boiled eggs. A microwave and toaster were also provided. It was self-service and do it yourself but that was fine. Breakfast is from 0800 till 1000.
Transport wise there is a tram stop a few yards from the Hostel that will take you into the city.

There is a Lidl supermarket a few hundred metres down the road.

The staff were all pleasant and spoke very passable English There are loads of brochures / leaflets about things to do. They give you a card with your room number, a small map and the hotel address / contact details so if ever you did get lost you can easily get in a taxi and be brought back.

The only drawback I found was it is a bit noisy. There is a road above the Hostel, a train line behind and a tram line in front. However I didn’t go on holiday to spread too much time in bed all day.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank Richard_in_England
Reviewed July 11, 2011

This turned out to be a Hostelling International hostel as well as a Pension, although we stayed in a private twin room. Facilities were clean but fairly basic, with a shared bathroom - not great value at 16 euro a night per person - seemed to be neither a decent backpackers (which would have been cheaper) or a decent pension (which you'd get for the same price or marginally more).

Overall a very average pension, nigh-on impossible to find from the Metro station (it's thorugh the park and down some steps that you can't see from the Metro, if you do decide to stay there!). Regular trams from outside the hostel once you know where you're going, but not a great area and no restaurants etc particularly nearby that we could see. Slightly dodgy looking pub downstairs trying to advertise itself as a backpacker-friendly place, but didn't look particularly welcoming. The main problem with this Pension is that which troubles many HI/YHA hostels - school groups! We were sharing the place with a very pleasant and well-mannered group of French sixth formers, but none the less a large group, with the inevitable noise that a school group bring. HI need to decide - either cater exclusively to school groups, or cater to tourists and backpackers - they don't mix! Our room was also quite noisy anyway with trains passing every 20 mins or so until late at night. Breakfast included but again very average and the worst of our trip.

Overall I was a bit annoyed with myself for not booking accommodation sooner, hence staying here - we had visited Prague before and it has better to offer than this.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends