“Let down by little things”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Karlin

Karlin
Ranked #337 of 672 Hotels in Prague
Lincoln, United Kingdom
“Let down by little things”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2008

I usually stay in Accor chain hotels as I have a discount card for the chain, but for this stay in Prague the Accor hotels were asking what I considered to be unacceptably high prices. So I looked on HRS for an alternative and came up with the Hotel Karlin.

I chose the Karlin for two main reasons: location (close to a Metro station) and the fact that they offered Wifi. Oh, and because they were significantly cheaper than anything Accor were offering.

Arriving at 3 p.m. the lady on the front desk was very friendly, checking that my room was ready and dealing with payment.
The room itself was a spacious twin room, although I'm not sure what particularly was supposed to justify the extra CZK400 (about GBP12) I'd paid per night for a "business" room.

Waiting in the room for me was a bottle of water (most welcome on a hot day) and a selection of fruit. Cheers! :-)

Facing the street it did, of course, have one disadvantage: opening the windows (no air-conditioning) meant that the trams rattling past regularly could clearly be heard. It's unreasonable to expect air conditioning in such a cheap hotel, but equally in this day and age it's something we're all used to having...

One other minor niggle: I was supplied one small bar of soap and nothing in the way of shower gel or shampoo. Hmm. OK, I always carry my own (generally that picked up in any 4* hotel I stay in!) but surely any hotel supplies these things nowadays?

I'm not 100% happy about handing over my room key nowadays when I leave each day, either, although that's mostly because I'm used to key cards; the staff I met were pretty efficient and I doubt anyone wandering in off the street would have been able to get their hands on the keys.

The hotel claims to have a restaurant, but it was permanently closed when I was there. Breakfast is served in the attractive basement, and is a pretty basic assortment: bread, cereal, plain yoghurt.

Overall, an OK hotel with potential but let down by silly little things like the lack of bathroom supplies. The free WiFi and friendly staff could have seen me mark it up to a 4 but the faults knock it back down to a 3 - and, if I'm honest, almost down to 2 stars.

• Stayed September 2008, traveled solo
3 Thank rossh1

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Basel, Switzerland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2008

In general the hotel has some potential. It's located quite centrally, the rooms are rather big and the bathroom was spacy and nicely renovated. So much for the pro's...

Unfortunately the motivation of the staff is below any expectation, there's no evidence whatsoever that they actually want to serve their guests! In the breakfast room, there is a somnambulistically moving person, trying to avoid any contact with the guest, and it's quite an unique experience to have the reception on the phone. We should have be warned by that first contact already!

And it's terribly noisy!! Even though we have explicitely asked for quiet rooms when booking our 1-week stay, the rooms we had were situated directly to the street with lots of traffic and rumbling trams operating from 4 AM till after midnight. The windows in our room were old and not closing properly. We were unable to sleep and had to check out of the hotel after only two days of stay because we couldn't stand the noise anymore. We weren't offered any solution when complaining and asking for a different, more quiet room.

Therefore we can't recommend this hotel, even though it's greatly located and has some potential, unless you don't actually plan to sleep or are extremely noise resistant.

• Liked — Close to centre
  • Disliked — NOISE!NOISE!NOISE!NOISE!NOISE!NOISE!NOISE!NOISE!
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
Europe
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2008

The hotel was clean, the building itself is quite nice with a yard but the room we got was very dark. The bathroom showed the maximum effort of the owners to save on every possible choice (no proper shower tub, minuscule washbasin).
There is apparently a restaurant in the hotel but it is closed on weekends - there are however a few restaurants in the surroundings. The breakfast is overpriced (considering the indifferent attitude of the staff, it looked like they charge a high sum just to discourage people from taking it.)
The location is fine - close to metro, also accessible by trams.
All in all, the place is ok but would be a value for money if the price was half of what it is...

• Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple