Miss Sophie's Hotel
$119
$115
Cancelon
  • Breakfast included
All reviewswelcome basketold townboutique hotelbunk bedspavlovaminute walkmetro stationmini fridgeyour luggagedouble roomwould definitely stay here againshower headmain sightstop floorpublic transportationcity centrewenceslas square
FilterAll languages
Reviewed October 15, 2012

I stayed in a double room at Miss Sophie's. Our room price came with breakfast included. Price of the room was a bit on the high side but after coming from Oktoberfest we needed a private room to catch up on sleep.

The room was clean and comfortable. We had a room in the main building. The shower was nice and water pressure was good. I read some reviews where people had problems with the automatic light going out while in the shower but this never happened to us. Maybe they have made it so that it stays on longer? The room had a small beer fridge which was very convenient. It also had a built in hair dryer and a coffee maker. Though the coffee is not replenished after its used.

Free wifi was available and I found the connection to be fairly good.

You had to reserve a spot for breakfast because the kitchen area is so small. It could get quite busy while dining. The breakfast was the best I had at any of the hostels I stayed in during the trip. Our breakfast was included in the price because we had booked a private room. We had the choice of bacon & eggs, pancakes, an omelet, or waffles, all cooked on the spot. Coffee wasn't very good but I don't think I had good coffee anywhere in Europe....well the areas I visited anyway.

The location of the hostel was quite a far walk to old town. However it is right near a metro station. The Prague metro was very easy to navigate and convenient for getting around. I would recommend doing the free walking tour that leaves from the lobby of the hostel. We had an excellent guide who spoke very good English. The staff at the hostel spoke good English as well. Didn't run into any problems communicating.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank WorldTraveller989
Reviewed October 10, 2012

I arrived in the morning and was happily greeted by the lady at the front desk, who allowed to leave my backpack in the luggage room. There were very large cages there with lock and key provided free of charge.

The reception was very well staffed with many different people working the various shifts, all of whom were very polite and helpful. I had a lot of trouble figuring out the public transit in the Czech Republic, and the young lady at the front desk was very patient in translating and explaining the information found online. (Tip: idos.cz has extensive schedule information for trains and buses, although it's all in Czech.) Conveniently, the hostel reception sells public transit tickets that can be used to get all around Prague, saving time and confusion from having to deal with the vending machines.

I was in a 4-bed dorm that could easily have been a nice double-occupancy hotel room if it were just replaced with a queen bed. The bathroom was large, clean, and also had a drying rack for any clothes I washed. Even though my room was right by the lobby, it was still quiet and I slept very comfortably.

Both the wi-fi and the public computers worked very well without any problems.

There's breakfast available in the morning (at extra cost of about 170 CZK), but for the quality of the food it was definitely worth it.

This hostel has the distinction of being the only place during my 2-month trip where I both felt inclined to and was also able to extend my stay. Let that be a testament to how impressed and satisfied I was with Miss Sophie's!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed October 8, 2012

I changed hotel last minute to .Miss Sophie as I thought air con will come handy and I was right. Overall the stay was pleasant. Stayed for 1 night, booked via their hotel for around 60 USD. Tips: book REALLY early, I had the higher price simply because I was late by one day. In summary, this place is recommended BUT you do have to realize that it's far from old town (you need to catch public transportation unless you want to walk 30-40 mins).

Pro:
- Modern, clean, very cool rain shower head, comfy bed, very good room size (it's bigger than my studio apartment in Singapore ha ha)
- Have air con! (Not all hotel in prague has it, comes very useful even in September)
- Very clear direction from the hotel on how to reach it
- Stable wifi
- Location near metro but its the IP Pavlova which is like 2-3 stops from old town (a little bit far if you want to walk)
- Luggage storage equipped with keys
- Good soundproofing
- :Have water boiler, mini fridge, tea bags, coffee
- PC with internet at the lobby

Cons:
- Location is far walk from old town (although still doable, if you don't want to walk just take metro or tram)
- If I have to be picky - the toilet water pressure is weak, have to flush more than once
- No common washing machine.

If you find my review helpful, appreciate if you can press that helpful vote.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Ti_Chan
Reviewed September 30, 2012

We were pleasantly surprised by this hotel. Spotless, modern & spacious rooms, the most delicious breakfasts ever and it's in a good location only metres from a tram stop or a short walk from the old town. The hotel's own map with recommendations on it was fantastic and a great touch.
I do have a few gripes, however. They are things which could be easily fixed, however, and I urge the hotel to look into making these improvements. Firstly, our room was on the first floor, still within earshot of the reception area. Seeing the hotel's renovated stairwell and hallway area is made of echoing concrete, we were able to hear EVERY STEP of people walking past our room (very late at night) and a lot of the commotion that went on at reception. I suggest to the hotel to invest in some runner-style carpets for the hallways. The noise is otherwise unacceptable.
Another problem with being on the first floor - our room was just above a small courtyard area in which people would chatter loudly at 8am. I know 8am is not the end of the world but when you're on holiday and you want a sleep-in, it does become a problem. Also, people would smoke out there in the evenings (and the cleaning lady in the mornings!) and the smell of the smoke would waft into our room. Disgusting. There needs to be a smoking ban for that courtyard. Lastly, it's not a big deal but because it's such a small thing, the hotel should look into it asap. There is no shelf in the shower. It's kind of annoying having to bend down every 2 seconds to get a different shower product off the floor.
Apart from these gripes, I would highly recommend this hotel. If you're a heavy sleeper and you don't mind cigarette smoke or bending down in the shower, book away! :-) By the way, the hotel's name refers to Sophie, a character in the classic New Year's film called 'Dinner For One'.

Room Tip: Try to get a room on a higher floor than the first or risk 2nd-hand cigarette smoke asphyxiation and noise pollution
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank tinytini
Reviewed September 29, 2012

We actually stayed there this week and only came back a few hours ago and the hotel is absolutely fine but nothing better than fine. For the money I paid, I was expecting a boutiqe hotel with fantastic facilities in a very nice location but alas it was only mediocre in every sense.

We were greeted by a lovely receptionist girl who spoke very good English and taken to our apartment in the opposite building. The apartment was very roomy but the building smelt of pee. LIft WAS working when we arrived but it was also very small and old looking. We were offered to reserve a seat for the breakfast for 10 Euro but I said no thanks. You could easily eat a decent breakfast in town for under 3 Euro. The next day I noticed that our bedsheet has not been changed. Only some cleaning and tidying up was done. The towels were changed though. On the check out I told them I lost the swipe card and was told it was OK. Most hotels would charge an arm and a leg for this.

All in all, pros; friendly staff, ok location, walking distance to everywhere, very roomy accommodation, free safe box,cons; lukewarm shower, broken lift(again), very poor housekeeping, poor wifi, no breakfast. I am sorry Miss Sophie but I feel like I have been ripped off:( would NOT stay there again)

Room Tip: Prague is not all that big and public transport is very efficient and CHEAP. Do not be afraid to choose a hotel a little away from the city center.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family